ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Squats vs Deadlifts
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 8:40 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I was looking at the descriptions for squats and deadlifts. These are essentially the same movements, but for squats it says the main muscle worked is QUADS, and for deadlifts it says GLUTES are the main muscle worked. How can that be? (By the way dont say its because the weight is on your back in a SQUAT because it lists dumbbell squats, with weights held down at your sides, as still being mainly QUADS.)
Thanks
Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 8:48 pm 
Novice
Novice

when you do squats where do you feel it?
the same for deads?

they both hit alot of the same muscles, but the focus in each is different.
with squats you are pushing up but on the deads you are pulling.
when you bend over the primary muscles that get you back up are your glutes lower back and hamstrings
pay attention to the form on both and tell me what muscles are the sorest the next day

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 9:03 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Depends on your style for each, say a high bar Oly squat vs a wide stance PL squat with lean, and the various DL styles, squats are considered quad dominant, while deadlifts are considered hpham dominant, but ye, there is a lot of crossover.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 9:06 pm 

Totally depends on how you deadlift and squat.

Traditional squats (high bar olympic variety) are done with knees going past toes and with the butt getting much deeper.

In a conventional deadlift, you never get your butt down nearly as far and your knees never pass your toes.

Although you asy "dont say", where the weight sits as a lot to do with it.

You may notice some exercises are listed under multiple muscle groups.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 9:40 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Actually I have never really done squats or deadlifts until recently. I am currently doing DUMBBELL SQUATS, which I feel about equally in my quads & glutes. I was thinking of this movement as a deadlift not a squat (like I said the weights are down and I am pulling them up). I do them this way because I prefer lifting the weight - it feels more real world to me (how often do you need to carry weight across your shoulders lol). When I can handle more weight i will probably switch to a barbell deadlift.

I also do Romanian deadlifts for my hamstrings. I'm just trying to lose some weight and get in better shape. I'm thinking that these 2 exercises (deadlift plus romanian deadlift) plus calf raises are all I need for legs. But I was wondering if maybe I need to squat instead of deadlift to properly hit the quads...

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:20 am 

Well, unless you don't have the equipment for squatting, there is no good reason to not squat. Squatting is one of the best exercises for the body, and while I love deadlift, both is much more effective than only one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 1:08 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

DubDub wrote:
Squatting is one of the best exercises for the body, and while I love deadlift, both is much more effective than only one.

Both? I am a 47 yo male, overweight and (frankly) in pretty bad shape, doing a full body routine 3x / week. I am a little afraid of deadlifting 3x / week, let alone deadlifting plus squatting. Won't that be a little much? I'm especially wary of re-injuring my lower back...

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:02 pm 

DJDaddyK wrote:
DubDub wrote:
Squatting is one of the best exercises for the body, and while I love deadlift, both is much more effective than only one.

Both? I am a 47 yo male, overweight and (frankly) in pretty bad shape, doing a full body routine 3x / week. I am a little afraid of deadlifting 3x / week, let alone deadlifting plus squatting. Won't that be a little much? I'm especially wary of re-injuring my lower back...

Steve

Okay sorry, I didn't catch all of that my first time through the thread. You're right, I wasn't intentionally suggesting squatting and d'lifting 3x a week. That's insane, and counterproductive. Also, I failed to see that you're worried about reinjuring your back. However, I feel squatting and d'lifting on the same day is the way to go, when you do either. So maybe squat 2x a week, and d'lift 2x a week, and make sure one of those three workouts a week contains both. Plus, I don't think just having them be together will increase risk of injury, so long as you're doing weights with each of them that you can properly handle (with good form). Hopefully this clarifying post makes my earlier one not seem insane.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:20 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

If you find doing squats and deadlifts in the same workout too exhausting, try doing squats and Romanian deadlifts. Just start with light weights on both and build up slowly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:58 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Matt Z wrote:
If you find doing squats and deadlifts in the same workout too exhausting, try doing squats and Romanian deadlifts. Just start with light weights on both and build up slowly.

Welll I was going to deadlift and romanian deadlift, but I think I will try this instead (squatting instead of the standard deadlift).

And Dub, I didn't think you were insane, I just wanted clarity. Thanks all for your input...

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 2:39 pm 

PS.) Just because your doing full-body workouts, doesn't mean you have to do the same workout 3 days a week. Instead you could do a different full body workout each day. For example, you could do squats and Romanian deadlifts on Monday, followed by front squats and leg curls on Wednesday and deadlifts and sled hack squats on Friday. That way your doing two lower body lifts per workout, but not always the same two.