ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:53 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

"It was strangely fine with humans though, but went mental with other dogs." - KPj

That's actually pretty common with dogs, especially terriers and fighting breeds (those originally bred for dogfighting). Likewise, many dogs are friendly with other dogs and people, but very aggressive towards other animals (cats, rabbits, rodents, poultry, sheep, etc.).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:01 pm 

"I often passed it with my dog and it just seemed very pleasant, and peacefull. But they look so mean, and you know what they're capable of." - KPj

Did it have cropped ears. Pitbulls look a lot less scary when their ears are left natural.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:29 pm 

Pitbulls are arguably the strongest breed POUND-FOR-POUND, but they're NOT the strongest overall, or the hardest biting breed. Likewise, they're not generally the best choice for guard work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:58 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

I've got a floppy eared APBT (American Pit Bull Terrier), and he is a strong SOB. He has a good natured disposition, even with other dogs, but when I play with him, and sock him in the head, he loves it. Gets on his haunches and really comes at me. The harder I go at him, the better he likes it. He can easily knock me down, and I weigh around 175, he's 65 lbs of pure muscle. But Matt's right, they don't lock their jaws on a bite, thats a myth, and they don't have the strongest bite
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:41 am 

Matt Z wrote:
"I often passed it with my dog and it just seemed very pleasant, and peacefull. But they look so mean, and you know what they're capable of." - KPj

Did it have cropped ears. Pitbulls look a lot less scary when their ears are left natural.

Yes, it does. I do like them though. Well, I like all dogs, really.

My g/fs dog, a Basset Hound, is pretty funny. Has a large long, and muscley body. Short legs. Extremely strong nose. When you walk him, his nose is generallay stuck to the ground, and because his legs are so small, he often stands on his ears.

Sometimes we'll hide food. You don't alert him or anything. Hide it under the TV unit or something, and just sit there. He'll come in after a while, as he normally does, looking for attention, and BOOM, his nose catches it. He'll find it in about 30 seconds, tops.

I could believe that the Pit Bull stuff is all a myth. I do strongly believe that it's all down to the owners. I think anyone who knew that terrier I mentioned earlier, before, and knows it now, would believe so too.

I mean, I think it was maybe 9 months ago, a little Cocker Spaniel mauled a little girl, for no reason, down in England somewhere (i think). It's almost funny that when an alleged 'nice' breed attacks someone, the press bang on about keeping them on a leash or muzzled and stuff like that. But if it's a 'fighting' breed, then hey, screw all that other stuff, ban the breed of dog. Wacky world we live in.

KPj