ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:56 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

So when I do my bench press the failing point seems to be on the upper half of the movement, I can always get it off of my chest but seem to get stuck in the middle of the movement. I understand that this is usually indicative of a tricep weakness, however I think my triceps are pretty strong compared to my chest. I can close-grip bench 155 for about 7 reps and I can do the flat dumbell press with 85 for about 6 reps. Should it be my triceps that I focus on or could something else be the culprit.

Also in a similar vane it is the upper half of my wide grip pullup motion that I seem to normally fail on. Would this be helped by narrow grip or wider grip pullups more?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 6:20 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I've usually found that a top-half sticking point on bench can be worked out fairly well with what I've heard called half ups...set up in a power rack with the bars 1-2 inches below your stick point and load up with 105-110% of what you'd normally rep on bench, bench like normal except when you lower the weight don't be afraid to bounce a little bit off the bars for acceleration through your stick point. This usually works fairly well for me when I hit a top half stick point. Not sure about the pull-up question, maybe just use a spotter to help you work through that point?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:49 pm 

You should be doing a bit more on the close grip bench press than on the dumbbell presses so that is an indicator to me that your triceps are actually weak.

Depending on exactly how you bench, it could be your shoulders but I would need to know more about how you bench to say for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 2:00 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

How does you close-grip bench press compare to your regular barbell bench press?

Also, the problem may your form. If your bouncing the weight off your chest, or cheating by lifting your hips, then you may get stuck mid-rep simply because you run out of momentum.