ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:51 pm 

Er, You mean up here Chris. :wink: coming from South Texas.

I never used foil until this year. I now wrap my briskets and ribs and only after they have been on the pit at least two hours for the ribs and five for the brisket. Try it and you just might like it. I am really suprised how much more tender they are.

Let me guess, you probably use apple or hickory to cook with. You are supposed to cook with mesquite or live oak. And no Missouri, red oak doesn't cut it. You can use pecan for chicken.

As for the okra. It is home grown. I cooked them whole. I put them in a bowl and squeezed three small keylimes (one regular one would work) on them, drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with season salt. I then skewered them and grilled. You will know when they are done. They almost tasted fried. I've done them without the oil and are almost as good.

I have to admit that I grilled on a gas grill. I used to only cook on wood or coals, but dang it, you can't beat a gas grill for speed.

a mop - still shaking my head. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:19 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I use hickory most of the time. Mesquite is a bit too “dark” for my tastes. I love pecan when I can find it. Apple is very good as well. I have a stash of white oak which is wonderful. Also, and much harder to find, I love Cherry, Alder, and Maple.

How do you get away with only cooking a brisket for 8 hours? It’s a 12+ hour job here. Maybe the foil speeds it up. I don’t do a lot of brisket, but I have done a few. They are the ultimate test of Q’er. If you can do a brisket, no foil, then you can do anything. “Up here” it’s mostly butts and shoulders for the long cooks. Spare Ribs for the 4 hour cooks.

Baby backs, I prefer to grill. They are the filet mignon of ribs, and as such, are already tender. Grilled on low coals for about an hour is great. I find smoking them makes them too mushy. The last time I smoked baby backs, you could literally shake the meat off the bone. Nah, I prefer a little bite to my ribs and not pulled pork on a bone.

But really, if you’re just going to foil your briskets and ribs, why not just throw them in the oven? Foil on a smoker is a waste of good coal. Do you finish your brisket in the oven?

Heck, for that matter, why not just use a little electric smoker. :green:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=5902599

But, I’ll admit, I’ve turned out some mighty fine beef back ribs in the oven on 225 with some apple juice in the bottom of the pan. I was being lazy, experimenting, and that ain’t BBQ.

And I do like a gas grill for some things. It’s great for steaks and burgers that are done in 8 minutes or less. It’s almost (almost I said) a waste to fire up a batch of coals that is good for 1 hour or more of cooking just to grill for 8 minutes. Still, I’ve got no problems firing up the 12” Weber just to grill corn on the cob in the husk.

Still shaking head over foil. :grin:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:01 pm 

Okay, truthfully on my brisket, I usually start about 9 or 10 pm. I sit around and for some reason always find myself drinking beer untill 2 am. Until this year, I would then stabelize the temp at around 250-275 and go to bed. When I got up the next morning, the brisket would come off the pit (no foil). Sometimes they would be real tender, sometimes a little tough once it was under cooked. Very often, they would be over smoked and would give me heartburn and a sour stomach. I foiled my first brisket Memorial Day weekend. It was the best I have ever cooked. Made me a believer out of foil - along with some kick ass ribs I've cooked lately. Up until this year, I would have been right along side you Chris. No foil - but still NO MOP!

I will always make time to make a fire for some really good angus ribeyes.

Twice a year, my buddies and I have a big deer hunt. Usually no deer is shot. We usually end up sitting around a camp fire drinking and eating all day and sometimes all night. Here is a typical day:

Wake up and go hunting. Come back and cook deer tenderloin, bacon, jalepenos, onions, and potatoes on what we call a disquetta (sp). It is a disk off a disk plow welded to some legs. We cook that on an open bed of mesquite coals. All on tortillas

Lunch
Whatever sounds good. 7 bone steak, chicken, mojejas (sweetbreads),

Hunt the afternoon. Come back, and cook - always ribeyes on Saturday night, pork ribs or side of pork from a wild hog, more chicken, dove for appetizers (deboned breast with jalepeno wrapped in backon) cabbage. A huge sirloin.

Around 10:30 start cooking again, whatever is left over. Fajitas, more ribs, etc.

If a deer is shot, more tenderloin, ham steaks and backstrap

100% is cooked on mesquite coals. We build a huge fire and shovel coals into pits, holes, etc.

I gain at least five pounds those two weekends.

Electric smoker. You are a funny man. :lol:

Ever watch Bar-B-Q U? That man doesn't look like it, but he has some great ideas. I have yet to try a recipe I didn't enjoy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:58 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I was going to post this in the "pet peeves at the gym" thread, but this one's more relevant.

This has been on my chest for some time now. First, I need to explain myself.... Occasionally, I like to read stuff that I don't agree with. I like to try and keep an objective opinion, even if it's something that goes against what I practice myself. I enjoy the disgust of reading mainstream diet advice in newspapers - celeb fad diets, things like that. Also, in my dads house is a lot of mainstream diet books. Normally i'm reading 1 or 2 training related books at a time, so it can take me 6-9 months to read these books that i wouldn't normally read, because i'll only read 2-3 chapters every 1-2 weeks or so.

Enter, Fit for Life by Harvey Diamond and Marilyn Diamond.

OMG. No book has made me so angry. I don't think I can finish it. I've been bottling this up for some time now. Has anyone read this???

I'm starting to think it's one big conspiracy to convert us to vegetarians. The authors are in fact, vegetarians, but claim not to be trying to convert you, but go a hell of a long way to justifying the vegetarian life style over, well, eating meat. They even advise against eggs - and not JUST because of the whole cholesterol crap that you normally hear about. But because, "if you crack an egg open on the pavement outside your house, and go back to it the next day, the smell will be revolting. Why would anyone want to eat that".

OMG! I'm speechless. (actually, i'm far from speechless)

Animal protein can't convert to 'human protein'. Put down the chicken and beef guys, after all these years, it's been a complete waste of time, and potentially harmful to us.

Protein makes you fat.

Protein is dangerous. Yes. DANGEROUS. You know why? Because it 'requires more energy to digest'. And this is a BAD THING??????????????????????????????????????

So, protein requires more calories to be burned to digest it, therefore, don't eat it.

I have been contemplating sitting down typing out the whole protein chapter so that everyone can share my disgust.

It's not just protein, either. Stay away from fat as well. Your body has enough fat stored, and it will use these resources as and when it needs it. Nice. Veggies or no veggies, what we're being told is to eat almost strictly carbs. Yeah. That makes sense.

Best of it is, my overweight dad beleives this crap. Because a colleague he has swears buy it. This guy isn't obese, you know, but he's not exactly fit looking. To me, and anyone that trains, he's still 'quite fat' and deffinitly out of shape. I can see why it'sbeen such a popular book. Imagine just eating veggies, over 3 meals per day. Of course you'll lose 'weight'. You ARE allowed meat, but keep it to one meal per day, at the most, and not every day. If you feel hungry between or after meals, then have some fruit 3 hours after your last meal. I could eat a dam horse 3 hours after my last meal, even if my last meal was a whole cow.

You might wonder why i waste my time reading this crap. As explained, it doesn't mount up to much time. However, this particular book has a personal meaning to me because my dad tries to follow it. I'm trying to show respect by not criticising something i've never read. I don't think I have it in me to read any more of this, especially after the protein chapter.

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:38 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

KPj wrote:
Because a colleague he has swears buy it. This guy isn't obese, you know, but he's not exactly fit looking.

At least his colleague isn't one of the guys at my gym telling guy #2 he needs to do more curls to get stronger at benching ... cause benching requires BIG arms.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:22 am 

ellerbus wrote:
At least his colleague isn't one of the guys at my gym telling guy #2 he needs to do more curls to get stronger at benching ... cause benching requires BIG arms.

:lol:

Yeah, I suppose. I mean, if I could say anything good about the book (so far), it would be that it encourages people to eat more fruit and veggies.

Buy i know what you're saying. Funnily enough, his exercise routine is slow, steady state cardio, finished off with some benching and curls, low intensity, because it's basically theonly exercises he knows. And the whole Son training the Dad thing just hasn't worked......yet...

I discreetly leave John Berardi's Precision Nutrition out for him. I even bought Gordon Ramsays 'healthy eating' recipe book, and left it out for him in the hope he'd start cooking from that... No luck yet think I need to be more brutal.

Still though, all that aside, this Fit For Life Book is a joke. :roll:

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:44 am 

Fit for Life was written in 1985. The world has changed since then. They were ahead of the game when in 1989 they recommended against hydrogenated vegetable oil back before the rest of te world was aware of trans fats.

I'm not defending it, but if it's out of date, it's out of date.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:48 am 

That's a fair point. Shamefully I never even checked when it was written, I just assumed it was fairly recent since it's quite popular over here just now. That explains a lot, though.

You know, when i think about how most people train in most gyms over here, maybe Scotland is just generally stuck in the late 80's / early 90's when it comes to health, fitness etc.

hmmmm

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:48 am 

I don't think it's just Scotland. The normal routine around here is jog for hour, the more the better, do the machines once or twice a week, eat low fat, because fat makes you fat, right, then have fish and chips for lunch on Friday because you've earned it, and drink all weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:08 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

stuward wrote:
I don't think it's just Scotland. The normal routine around here is jog for hour, the more the better, do the machines once or twice a week, eat low fat, because fat makes you fat, right, then have fish and chips for lunch on Friday because you've earned it, and drink all weekend.

better than most americans who will get the large fry big mac combo with a diet coke

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:07 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

No, they won't get the diet Coke, because aspartame gives you cancer, headaches, heart disease, diabetes, MS and 10 other diseases because some lady wrote chain mail about it. They get the double big mac, with the 10 lbs fry bucket and the gallon vat of soda. Plus an apple pie and shake, because they walked on the treadmill for 10 minutes, so they earned it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:21 am 

I love to see the people at the salad bar. Lots of great veggies, then smother the whole thing in gallons of ranch dressing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:01 am 

KPj wrote:
Animal protein can't convert to 'human protein'. Put down the chicken and beef guys, after all these years, it's been a complete waste of time, and potentially harmful to us.

I read this thread several hours ago, and I keep thinking about this part.

So I'm thinking, if "animal protein" can't be converted to "human protein", can "plant protein" be converted to "human protein?" It seems less likely than converting "animal protein". So that leaves "human protein", right? So these folks lead us inexorably to...canibalism! Obviously, this must be the best source of protein! It doesn't need to be converted to "human protein", it's ready to go!

So when I tell you that my wife and I would just love to have you for dinner sometime....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:09 am 

Jungledoc wrote:

So when I tell you that my wife and I would just love to have you for dinner sometime....

Coming from someone in PNG, that's even creepier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:30 am 

Jungledoc wrote:
I read this thread several hours ago, and I keep thinking about this part.

So I'm thinking, if "animal protein" can't be converted to "human protein", can "plant protein" be converted to "human protein?" It seems less likely than converting "animal protein". So that leaves "human protein", right? So these folks lead us inexorably to...canibalism! Obviously, this must be the best source of protein! It doesn't need to be converted to "human protein", it's ready to go!

LOL! The last thing I thought you were going to lead to there was canibalism - nearly spat out my coffee.

To be honest, I'm a lot less angry about the book since stuward pointed out that it was written in '85. But still, the anger just been diverted to the people now that are believing it all.

The authors actual reasoning behind it was that a lot of the animals whos flesh we like to consume don't actually eat meat. If they don't eat meat, then where do they get their meat from? And something about a silverback gorilla being muscley and strong yet vegetarion, or something. It also says, from the 'other side of the fence' perspective, "lions eat nothing but meat and sleep 20 hours per day." God I wish I was a lion.

Something else funny in it was that it's not in our natural instinct to eat animals. Something a long the lines of. "if you're walking in the woods and a rabbit runs across your path, what's your natural reaction? To chase it, catch it, murder it, then eat it? Or to say, 'wow look at that cute little rabbit'. Actually, this still happens in scotland - we still hunt and eat rabbits. Yeah, they're cute, but they're supposed to be tastey, and this is survival we're talking about (or sport....whatever). Although, we're not in the habbit of eating our guests...... But I would be a little more cautious the further up North you go (not offence to Robertscott if he reads this :lol: ).

One criticism, though, regardless of when it was written, is that it clearly is trying to make you vegetarian (or Vegan). I just roughly quoted small snippets from the book above, but it goes on for pages and pages with that kind of tone i.e. "why we shouldn't eat meat".

KPj

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next