ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:02 am 

Humans are not like either gorrillas or lions. Our diet shouldn't be like either one. Humans are omnivores, we need meat and plants to thrive.

"Fit for Life" has a more up to date version from 2001 called . "Fit for Life: A New Beginning (2001)" and "Fit for Life, Not Fat for Life" from 2003.
http://books.google.com/books?id=zXWXyM ... 1575667185

It seems that he's still spouting the same stuff so maybe you do have grounds to be angry.

Edit: It's actually in my local library so I'm going to read it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:05 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

"if you're walking in the woods and a rabbit runs across your path, what's your natural reaction? To chase it, catch it, murder it, then eat it? Or to say, 'wow look at that cute little rabbit'.

That depends on how hungry I am.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:30 pm 

Gorillas are true herbivores. They're adapted to eat large quantities of fiberous plants with low nutritional value, and even then they need to spend much of their day eating in order to consume enough calories. That's why gorillas have potbellies. It's not because they drink too much beer. It's because their intestines are much larger relative to body size than those of a human or a chimp. They also have massive jaws and teath for grinding tough plants like bamboo.

Humans and chimps are adapted to eat relatively small quantities of nutritionally dense foods. If a human tried to eat like a gorilla, he would starve to death. It would be like trying to live off of celary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:36 pm 

Also, not all great apes are vegitarians (in spite of what some vegitarians claim). Chimps hunt and eat colobus monkeys, young antelope, etc. They also eat things like termites and eggs.

Likewise, primitive humans ate large quantities of meat. They wouldn't have been able to survive in ice age Europe it they didn't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:50 pm 

Lions on the other hand are strict carnivores. An adult male lion may eat 40 or 50 pound of meat in one sitting and not eat again for days (or longer when prey is scarce). This is also the main reason why they sleep so much. It conserves energy so they don't have to feed as often.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:48 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

When chimps eat other animals they bite off the limbs first, before disemboweling them. Pretty gruesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:23 pm 

A new pet peeve. A scumbag of a manager who steps outside her jurisdictions as my boss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:12 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Actually while a human is considered to be an omnivore, the digestive system is nearly identical to a carnivores. We can't digest most plant matter without processing of some kind. We are just carnivores that evolved or retained the ability to eat some plants. Being able to get quick energy from berries and nuts we gathered was an advantage.

Many Carnivores can eat some plant food. Dog and cat food has a lot of filler in it that is plant based. In fact cats with a weight problem may not do well with the carbs. So you don't give them as much dry food. You give them mostly wet food, which is nearly all meat. This helps them maintain a healthy weight. Of course the vast majority of pet obesity is from table scrap feedings. Stopping that does the trick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:40 am 

stuward wrote:
Edit: It's actually in my local library so I'm going to read it.

If you read it, you'll need to let me know what you think. It's the 80's one that i've been reading.

If your just going to be skimming through it, then check for a Protein chapter. Up until this point, I found it to just be your typical mainstream diet advice. The protein chapter is what infuriated me the most. :mad:

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:59 am 

I've got lots of good ammo for any future discussions regarding this book.

It's actually become a UK/Scotland Travel Industry thing. We work with a lot of travel agencies, providing technology for them. It's a nice community if you enjoy binge drinking and, well, binge drinking. Seriously, i've never known people to drink so much, so often, and still get up in the morning, sharp, ready for meetings or whatever. And i've been at uni - travel folks put students to shame. Functions / conferences etc all the time, but they're just an excuse to drink loads of alcohol. Anyway, i'll stop that rant there.

It's my dads travel agency friend, quite a popular guy, that told him to get Fit For Life. This guy swears buy it. And no wonder. Eating 3 servings of fruit and veg every day certainly leaves a lot of room for alcohol.

It's only a matter of time before I get this guy in a conversation about this book.

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:07 am 

Now I understand. I live in Nova Scotia, that's Gaelic for New Scotland. The 3 food groups are beer, rum and french fries.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11