All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Which way
Poll ended at Sun May 14, 2006 4:59 pm
Low reps (3-5) 38%  38%  [ 3 ]
6-12 reps 63%  63%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 8
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 4:21 pm 
8-12 will build up your muscle volume so your muscles will get bigger, your best bet for training is to periodize between strength and functional size gains like 5-6 reps and then the stage muscle 8-12 area you can try 4 weeks of each or do some undulation like i do with light and heavy days every week

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:00 pm 
It depends partly on genetics. All things being equal, it would make sense to target white (AKA fast twitch) muscle fibers with relatively low reps. This is because white muscle fibers are larger than red (AKA slow twitch) muscle fibers. However, if your muscles are made up mostly of red muscle fibers, you may see better mass gains by targeting these fibers with higher reps.

For the best results however I would recomend targeting both types of muscle fibers. This will give you maximal size, as well as a combination of strength and muscular endurance.

As for impressing girls ..... most of the girls I knew in high school seemed to prefer efemanite prettyboys (today I'd call them metrosexuals). In fact, a number of them felt compelled to point out to me that big muscles were gross. It wasn't until college, that I started meeting young women who showed much interest in me (including the one I eventually married). This was a pleasant surprise, but it's not what keeps me coming back to the gym week after week.

My point is, I've always weight trained for me, because I enjoy the challenge and the discipline of it, not because I want to impress other people. I'm not some silly peacock bending over backwards for approval, and neither should you. Just be yourself.

.... Sorry to get all after school special on you, but that's just the way I feel about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:09 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

last guest was me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 1:13 am 
Anonymous wrote:
As for impressing girls ..... most of the girls I knew in high school seemed to prefer efemanite prettyboys (today I'd call them metrosexuals). In fact, a number of them felt compelled to point out to me that big muscles were gross.

Something to keep in mind is that the kind of thigns a woman is atracted to are different depending on where they are in their cycle. When they're ovulating and estrogen levels are peaking, masculine men are when they want. When a woman is on her period, that's when she likes the pretty boys.

How MUCH of a variance there is, I can't say, but it is there.

That being said, I am one of the pretty boys. I got my ass handed to me pretty much all of middle and high school. And if I had a choice between atractive women, and not getting my ass kicked. Guess which I'd choose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 1:56 am 
Quote:
My point is, I've always weight trained for me, because I enjoy the challenge and the discipline of it, not because I want to impress other people. I'm not some silly peacock bending over backwards for approval, and neither should you. Just be yourself.

Couldn't agree more.

KP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 6:50 am 
Novice
Novice

[/quote]... if I had a choice between atractive women, and not getting my ass kicked. Guess which I'd choose.[/quote]

i would choose to have my ass kicked by attractive women, and then brag about them being all over and i couldnt stop it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 6:57 am 
Novice
Novice

Anonymous wrote:
As for impressing girls ..... most of the girls I knew in high school seemed to prefer efemanite prettyboys (today I'd call them metrosexuals).

.... Sorry to get all after school special on you, but that's just the way I feel about it.

i was far from being an "efemanite prettyboy", as i had long hair that was very unkempt, a full beard abe-style, and being the only kid in my highschool with tats didnt particularly sit well with the posh more well off kids which were the majority. the only thing i had going was being an athlete.

hey dont worry about the after school special i think i was the first to post about it. it brought back memories of watching saved by the bell. ha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:05 am 
Novice
Novice

jeff,
touche....but as long as i am strong enough to be able to perform daily functions without straining my back or getting a hernia i see herculese like strength as pointless. As far as the girls go...some like it some dont. but i bet that when you lift a truck they are like oh neat, but when they see a shredded six pack they are like oh papi!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 1:36 pm 

PS.) The ethnic makeup of my high school was about 30% hispanic/latino, 8% Asian, 12% black/African American and 50% white, of which a high percentage where Italian American. As a result I was never less than average hieght, although I was only 5'6" when I graduated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 4:02 pm 

Also, I'm not too sure about the menstral cycle hypothesis. My wife thinks girl's taste in boys/men change as they mature. She says that for most high school girls things like big muscles and hairy chests can be a little intimidating, so they go for non-threatening boyish types like Leonardo Dicaprio the backstreet boys. I guess that makes sense.

Also, it's been my experience that "getting lots of girls" and keeping one woman happy involve two very different skill sets. I've always been much better at the latter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:00 pm 

I agree that genetics pay a big part of what works. I'm a big guy and believe that going heavy with low reps works best for me. Regardless you have to change your routine, but I just repeat what everyone else has posted.

I too enjoy the challenge. Knowing that I am stronger than I have ever been gives me personal satisfaction. I like watching people come into the gym and bust ass for three months then never come back. They come and they go because they stop seeing progress and don't immediately look like Ronnie Coleman. They don't know what it is like to bust through a 2 month plateau.

Stength over appearance. But then again, I'm a happily married man for over 12 years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 5:40 pm 
My advice on picking up women ... lift with your legs, not with your back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:22 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Quote:
My advice on picking up women ... lift with your legs, not with your back.
haha, you win! Personally I lift for me and me alone. Lifting weights gives me great personal satisfaction as well as a greatly increased positive self image...perhaps I'm vain but I really enjoy looking into the mirror and being impressed with what I see in it (the evidence of my hard work).