ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:57 pm 

pdellorto wrote:
What do you mean by "only the Arnold portion" of an Arnold press? I thought they were a bicep curl followed by a rotating press overhead. Where do you cut it off?

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Del ... Press.html

I pretty much do almost a reverse Pec Dec fly.

I hold the DB in front of me like I just finished a curl (but no curl.) Then I just rotate my arms out to the sides and press the weight up. So "just the Arnold part" is me basically just rotating DB from in front of me, to the side, and back to the front with some speed. I can feel it in my posterior Delt, and which ever muscle it is that goes across the top of my shoulder blade.

Does that make any sense?

It might be a pointless waste of time, but it feels good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:41 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Okay, I understand.

I have no idea if it's helping either, but if it's feeling good, well, may as well leave it in. It's not like you have a high-volume workout and need to cut down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:50 pm 

pdellorto wrote:
Okay, I understand.

I have no idea if it's helping either, but if it's feeling good, well, may as well leave it in. It's not like you have a high-volume workout and need to cut down.

Nope, but I'm still pretty beat up at the end of it, so I'm not sure about adding too much, ha ha.

I read on some site that I can't find anymore, where this guy talked about "perverting" the Russian Squat thing for chins, to get strong. It was a 3 week program, 6x3, 6x2, etc...

I wish I book marked it, but the only thing is, if i keep gaining weight, the +25 is going to keep being heavier and heavier.

OOPS, I'm rambling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:01 am 

nygmen wrote:
deadlift
135x10 or sp
185x10
225x8
275x5
295x5
315x5
missed lockout on the 5th rep, grip was failing.
Rack Pulls
(knee height to lockout)
345x3
355x3
365x3
I like these, but I can see them leading to being ultra tired. Good stuff.

Well, yeah! You're doing 43+ full-ROM DLs, and then 9 heavy rack pulls! That's a lot of work. I'd cut the volume somehow. If I could pull 315 for reps with grip failure only, I wouldn't be doing rack pulls, at least not most of the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:07 am 

If you want to cut the deadlift volume, I'd recommend:
135x10
185x5
225x5
255x5
285x5
315x5

You are fatiguing yourself before you get to your heavy set. The progression I gave will give you enough volume for a warm up but not fatigue you too bad. Notice that they are evenly spaced jumps. Rack pulls actually require more volume (reps) as the ROM is shorter. They are quite taxing though so doing them less frequently is an option. It depends on your goal. If you want to get used to heavier weight, 1 heavy set (365) for as many reps as possible will do the trick.

Good progress Eric. You're getting stronger consistently. I wouldn't change much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:12 pm 

Jungledoc wrote:

Well, yeah! You're doing 43+ full-ROM DLs, and then 9 heavy rack pulls! That's a lot of work. I'd cut the volume somehow. If I could pull 315 for reps with grip failure only, I wouldn't be doing rack pulls, at least not most of the time.

Yeah last night was an odd evening. I had drank a huge coffee before I went to the gym, and just had a tank full of urge. You know, urge to pull.

It was the first time I had ever done Rack Pulls, and was really just doing it to get used to heavy weight, and punish myself. Rather than pull singles, I choose rack pulls. I'm not planning on doing that much all the time. Just once in awhile, to test my boundaries i guess.

I was in the mood for maximum physical self destruction.

Paying for it today too. DOMS is getting worse with each passing hour. It is absolutely delightful. I know DOMS isn't an indicator of a quality workout, but it makes me feel like I accomplished something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:19 pm 

stuward wrote:
If you want to cut the deadlift volume, I'd recommend:
135x10
185x5
225x5
255x5
285x5
315x5

You are fatiguing yourself before you get to your heavy set. The progression I gave will give you enough volume for a warm up but not fatigue you too bad. Notice that they are evenly spaced jumps. Rack pulls actually require more volume (reps) as the ROM is shorter. They are quite taxing though so doing them less frequently is an option. It depends on your goal. If you want to get used to heavier weight, 1 heavy set (365) for as many reps as possible will do the trick.

Good progress Eric. You're getting stronger consistently. I wouldn't change much.

Thank you!

Yeah I don't plan on changing much, just little twists and tweeks, short term adjustments... Just to keep it more interesting, and my body guessing. Like the Russian squat tech perverted for chins, just a small variation of what I'm already doing. I plan on getting through all 6 weeks, but if it is only 3 it is only 3.

Thanks for the rep knowledge on Rack Pulls, I missed that fact somewhere along the line.

And I think your right about the fatigue. I'm going to try your weight progression, and see how much it changes that last set.

Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:20 pm 

Thanks to everyone that reads my log...

It's great motivation to know someone is lurking...

Thanks guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:54 pm 

Here is a good explanation of why weights feel lighter after you've gone heavier:

http://realstrengthrealmuscle.com/Free% ... warmup.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:49 am 

pdellorto wrote:
Here is a good explanation of why weights feel lighter after you've gone heavier:

http://realstrengthrealmuscle.com/Free% ... warmup.htm

Thanks... That makes alot of sense.

You are just a giant wealth of useful knowledge... Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:06 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

I'd never heard of the term "supra warm-up" before, but that used to be a fairly common practice for combining strength and mass. Hepburn popularized it back in the 50's and 60's (an old time Canadian strongman and Weightlifting champ, more geared to PL but it didn't exist back then). I also saw a lot of it in some older issues of PLUSA. The idea was to do singles up to a heavy, yet still doable weight, then drop down and do 3-4 sets of a heavy 5-6 reps. Worked pretty well. A variation on that was to go to a heavy yet doable single, drop down, get 57 reps, then do another single, heavier than the first, then drop back down and get 5-6 again, but heavier than the first time. Poliquin calls it the 1-6 wave. Some some off the wall tidbits.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:10 pm 

nygmen wrote:
You are just a giant wealth of useful knowledge... Thanks again.

Thank you. I try - I really don't know a lot, but I read a lot and remember where to go and find it. That's a valuable trait right there.

I'm glad my stuff is useful to you. It's kind of ironic because here I am giving you advice and you lift heavier than me. It's as incongruous as Mickey giving advice to Rocky, I guess, but it feels weirder when it's weight lifting. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:57 pm 

pdellorto wrote:
I'm glad my stuff is useful to you. It's kind of ironic because here I am giving you advice and you lift heavier than me. It's as incongruous as Mickey giving advice to Rocky, I guess, but it feels weirder when it's weight lifting. :)

I look at it like this:

You know your stuff, so sweet, or are at least fantastic at finding the info.

And, you could kick my a$$. At which point, how much I lift becomes moot. :green:

Thanks again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:10 pm 

TimD wrote:
I'd never heard of the term "supra warm-up" before, but that used to be a fairly common practice for combining strength and mass. Hepburn popularized it back in the 50's and 60's (an old time Canadian strongman and Weightlifting champ, more geared to PL but it didn't exist back then). I also saw a lot of it in some older issues of PLUSA. The idea was to do singles up to a heavy, yet still doable weight, then drop down and do 3-4 sets of a heavy 5-6 reps. Worked pretty well. A variation on that was to go to a heavy yet doable single, drop down, get 57 reps, then do another single, heavier than the first, then drop back down and get 5-6 again, but heavier than the first time. Poliquin calls it the 1-6 wave. Some some off the wall tidbits.
Tim

You know I find the more I listen to people that have been in and around this game, and those that are schooled in the history of it, everything a lot of contemporary guru's "invent" has been done before, and they just re-name it.

Not to take away from anyone who is a author or comes up with a great program, but it seems like everything that works, was done before. Back before they had a scientific study for it. Back when they just experimented, found stuff that worked, and did it. Back when it was basically "eat big & lift big."

I feel like a lot of the information now, over complicates something that works in a very simple form.

Just my .02, I could be wrong

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:22 am 

2.75???

:lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next