ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dating advice...
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:11 pm 

Well, I know this is a man's man bodybuilding forum, but what the hell. This one is gym related.

There is this girl that works at the gym I goto. Behind the counter. She's beautiful and for some reason I think she likes me. Now, I'm not trying to sound conceited because I don't know for sure, but sometimes you get that vibe when eye contact/smiling/all the kind of stuff is made. And this hasn't just been one time. It's been for the last six months pretty much whenever I see her there...we don't really talk much, but that's because there's always a bunch of other stuff going on.

I sorta have a plan for figuring out two things. One, if she's single. And two, if she's at all interested. I plan on asking the girl behind the counter I always talk too. Think this is a good idea? Or should I just approach her? I thought doing some reconnaissance might be a good idea...

But then I got to thinking. Do you think I'm just another @$$h0l3 customer if I try this? I've never been one to try and mack on the women who can't help it because they are behind the counter somewheres. Then I also got to thinking. Is it a good idea to try for someone when there's better competition...all the male models that seem to goto the gym it seems. LOL. I don't think I'm too shabby but I know I'm not Brad pitt. Wondering what some alpha males might think of this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:41 pm 
Novice
Novice

Which is more important the girl or the gym? If things go horrible is it going to impact going to that gym

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:52 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Well ... It's possible she's interested. However, it's also possible she's just being friendly because it's her job.

As for the recon, I wouldn't recomend it. If she finds out you've been asking around about her she may think you're immature and indecisive, or worse a creepy, stalker type.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:58 pm 

I dunno...if you like her, I say just go ask her out. Don't get too cute about it or make a big deal of it. If she say yes, great. If not, well, you tried. Go back to lifting and just be nice to her but leave it alone, she said no...but don't be shy, either. Just "Oh well, I had to ask. See you next time." Or "Great, I'll meet you at 8." Be quietly proud of it. :)

Recon = stalking. It's not high school, you can't tell your friends to tell her friends that if she likes you you like her back.

If you're going to get weird out by it if she says no and stop going to the gym, well, decide which is more important. I'd choose the gym, but that's just me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:09 pm 

The way I can see it, you have two options.

A) Ask her out. If she does have a boyfriend, she'll most likely say so. Meanwhile, you'll know if she is or isn't interested. However, if she's shy, she may think you're being a little too forward.

B) Just talk to her and see where it goes. You should be able to tell the difference between actual interest and politeness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:16 pm 

Either way, try not to seem overly interested. Remember you barely know this girl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:02 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

This is easier said then done, but you just talk to her. You flirt a little. Then you say you would like to get to know her better. You've got to get your workout in now, but you would like to (fill in the blank with something specific, day and place). Then you say something like, so let me get your number so we can plan a good time to (whatever you are doing). If she is just a little hesitant or not sure if she should, she will just go along with it since you are just saying what you want and not asking questions. But she will stop you right away if she is taken and/or not interested.

Like I said that's not easy. More often than not I would chicken out, because you usually get shot down. But sometimes they will just go out with you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:00 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I think you should just walk up be like "hey, I've been coming here for awhile and I'm just curious if you'd like to go out?" You always have to jokingly flirt yes she can say no but if she does her loss right?

Talking about the brad pitt guys I've seen hot chicks with dudes that I thought were busted very often I'm like wtf? Well some chicks like personality even though I haven't been that lucky. HAHA

Long story short go for it cause if you don't you'll never know. If you flirt with every chick at the gym though... I'd think twice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:59 am 

Take it from an old man who hasn't had a cute young girl interested in him for a long time (there's a cute old one who likes me a lot, though!) use manofsteel's approach. If she responds favorably, ask her for something fairly brief and time-limited, like lunch or a cup of coffee so if it doesn't go well, you can both get out of it gracefully.

That's what I'd want you to do if she were my daughter. Then I'd want you to come meet me, bringing your full CV, a copy of your latest background report and a letter of recommendation from your Sunday School teacher. And then I'd probably kill you anyway, just to be safe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:09 pm 

Hey yall...thanks for the advice. Everyone's pretty much told me the same thing. Not to ask the girl I know at the gym about her. And to go for it. I guess at first I was a bit worried about being awkward if she says no. But what the hell. Not like I've never looked stupid before! LOL!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:18 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Jungledoc wrote:
That's what I'd want you to do if she were my daughter. Then I'd want you to come meet me, bringing your full CV, a copy of your latest background report and a letter of recommendation from your Sunday School teacher. And then I'd probably kill you anyway, just to be safe.

As a father of a daughter, I loved that paragraph .. my thoughts exactly!!

Not to discourage you Rucifer, good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:10 am 

Rucifer wrote:
But what the hell. Not like I've never looked stupid before! LOL!

If that isn't the truth for everyone.

Just be confident in yourself. And ask her. You never know what will happen, what will be, will be.

Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:25 pm 

ellerbus wrote:
Jungledoc wrote:

As a father of a daughter, I loved that paragraph .. my thoughts exactly!!

Not to discourage you Rucifer, good luck.

AMEN....

And I have two daughters... Thankfully, still very young....

Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:48 pm 

I told my little girl that she could date whomever she wanted to. That is, as long as his arms were as big or bigger than mine. She told me she was never going to be able to date. He, he, he, he.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:27 pm 

hoosegow wrote:
I told my little girl that she could date whomever she wanted to. That is, as long as his arms were as big or bigger than mine. She told me she was never going to be able to date. He, he, he, he.

Dude aren't you like 300lbs?

God I have to get bigger if i have a daughter, A LOT bigger...