ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:43 am 
n00b
n00b

Anyone have any thoughts on what to eat after a late night cardio workout? Late being around 9:30-10:00pm? I usually eat dinner around 6. Or would it be better to not eat anything?

My goal, as it seems it has been for quite some time, is to lose weight so I dont want to compromise my diet. I'm currently taking in around 1600 calories a day; 30/50/20 (pro/carbs/fat).

Thanks in advance.

Pam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:23 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Well, I would, and do, eat something, light, say in the neighborhood of 200 kcal, fairly low on the GI (yes, most nutritionists are heading towards an II, or insulin index vice the GI, it's more of a glycemic load of the entire meal rather than judging by individual components), and keep it somewhat isocaloric, or at least in the ratio of what you are currently doing. This will lead to a slower breakdown, and give your body what it needs during the fasting period of sleep without overloading it and causing fat storage.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:24 pm 
n00b
n00b

Thanks Tim...as always I appreciate your advice.

Pam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:13 pm 
n00b
n00b

TimD wrote:
Well, I would, and do, eat something, light, say in the neighborhood of 200 kcal, fairly low on the GI (yes, most nutritionists are heading towards an II, or insulin index vice the GI, it's more of a glycemic load of the entire meal rather than judging by individual components), and keep it somewhat isocaloric, or at least in the ratio of what you are currently doing. This will lead to a slower breakdown, and give your body what it needs during the fasting period of sleep without overloading it and causing fat storage.
Tim

Translation: Cottage cheese. Great whey/casein profile, decent carb content. Get yourself some flax meal and mix it in and not only will you have a great night time snack, you will be exceedingly regular in the morning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:42 pm 
Been a long time Pam, glad to see you on the board again. I have been pretty busy and find it hard to post workouts so I quit going to the powerlifting forum but still read here whenever I get a moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:11 pm 
n00b
n00b

Hi Ryan. It has been awhile. I hear you about being busy. Decided that I have put working out on the back burner way too long. I've only worked out here and there for about the last 8 months. Getting back into again though and it feels great. I just wish I were a morning person so I could get it in before the day started rather than at night.

How is school going for you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:12 pm 

It is going well.

Just finished my first quarter of my 1st year in the PhD program here at Davis.

It isn't that much different than my undergraduate but I think once I begin research it will be very different. That is still atleast a year off though so I will wait and see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:35 am 
Novice
Novice

heh heh heh

Yes, it will be very different once you begin research. :) My typical week was in at 10am, out after 10pm, Monday through Saturday (though Saturdays I usually left around 6). Not everyone did that, but my advisor was a new prof so our group had to work a little harder to get the experiments set up and running.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:27 pm 

Well,

I am not an experimentalist so I don't think I will have that problem.

Post subject: murphy
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:18 am 
DELETED

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]