ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: low bf% but beer gut
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:05 pm 
My body fat percentage is fairly low, but my stomach sticks out quite a lot when I'm relaxed, as if it were a beer gut. When I flex and suck in my stomach at the same time, it looks great, but when I'm out on the beach and relaxed, my stomach starts to stick out in a round way.

I've done a lot of ab and lower back exercises to see if it works, but the stomach just doesn't want to stick in.

I've heard of an exercise called the "Stomach Vaccum", but I don't know if it will keep the stomach tight and in when I'm relaxed.

Could this be a posture problem? diet issue? etc.

What should I do?

thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 4:19 pm 
Posture is 1 issue. It could be loose skin if you were ever fat. Being endomorph in full or part. Big ab muscles contribute. The main way to make it better is get your bodyfat lower, like under 10%.

I have the same issue. Not slouching took care of it a little. I can fix most of the rest of it by dropping my body fat from it's 15% level down to around 8% or so. Having loose skin and being shaped like a neanderthal I can't help though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 4:19 pm 
Oh... and I don't drink either.

Post subject: Re: low bf% but beer gut
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 4:27 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

This is call a distended stomach.

Well, you could have a posture problem; pretty much any posture problem may make your stomach stick out.

If you can't see your "six pack", it's because there's a layer of fat there. You lower your body fat by eating correctly and exercising.

Stomach Vaccums are an excellent exercise. In the shower after I lift on my abs days, I'm currently doing sets of 80/60/40 reps. I used to do it while driving, but it was hard to remember to do. You can also try them while running or sprinting, or doing any type of cardio (the eliptical or stair stepper).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 6:57 pm 
Novice
Novice

stomach vacuums are a perfect excersize for your problem they will "pull" your stomach in. try them, they are weird to do and a long forgotten pose/excersize. you have to do them often in the shower is a great idea, assuming that you shower daily, be consistent or you wont see any improvement.
or walk around holding in your stomach:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 7:21 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

could someone give a full description of a stomach vacuum? are you just sucking in your stomach or are you trying to pull a specific point in? I get completely different feelings when I try and do those two things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:54 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Mog16 wrote:
could someone give a full description of a stomach vacuum? are you just sucking in your stomach or are you trying to pull a specific point in? I get completely different feelings when I try and do those two things.

Try looking here. Scroll down until you get to the section on stomach vacuums

Frank Zane was the king of the vacuum pose. Here is Zane at his best

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 11:27 pm 
That is pretty cool. I think that is what fat chicks do when they get dressed in the morning. hehe :) I think I'll do those and see if it helps. How many are you suppose to do at a time anyway? Is it like the more the better or what?

Now if there is an exercise that tightens skin I'll bet set.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 9:13 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Ironman wrote:
That is pretty cool. I think that is what fat chicks do when they get dressed in the morning. hehe :) I think I'll do those and see if it helps. How many are you suppose to do at a time anyway? Is it like the more the better or what?

Of course the more the better. As with any exercise, you need to do as many as you can, it's just that you can't just 'add weight'. You can do it isometrically (hold it in for as long as you can) or dynamically, or hold it in for a second or two every time. You should be able to do 60-100 the first time you try it. I do sets of it. As with any exercise, you've got to figure out what's right for you.