ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Microwaving Raw Eggs
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 3:34 pm 
I recently found out we can cook eggs by microwaving them. I managed to cook scrambled eggs with the microwave, which was much faster than frying and I didn't have to use any oil at all.

However, I've read some things on the internet saying how microwaves are dangerous and can cause health problems as it changes the structure of the food or something like that.

I was just wondering what I'm doing is safe - I'm talking about microwave raw eggs. I've done it 3 times already and they taste great.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 3:50 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD

I don't know about that. Will do a search on that, but I've been microwaving eggs just about every morning for 6-7 years now and have seen no ill effects.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 3:57 pm 
Thanks

In that case, how many eggs should I have after a workout? or before a workout? right now, I'm having 3 egg whites, and 1 yolk for a post workout meal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 4:06 pm 

Well, I don't like going into a workout full, at all, but I do know that sometimes a little protein prior can be a good thing. As to how many, well that depends on your protein requirements (height, weight, etc). Each egg is approx 6-7 gr protein, cut that in half for a white (it's actually a little more than half, but keeps the math simple). So 3 eggs would be 21 (approximate) gr protein, or 1 egg and 4 whites. That's probably plenty for one sitting. You may want to go higher or lower depending.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:15 pm 
Novice
Novice

egg white have 4gms protien yolks have 2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 10:23 am 

Hows the best way to cook them, time/egg, etc?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 11:23 am 

The time varies. I cook mine srambled,and usually use 3 eggs (or the equivalent in egg sub). I give it 1 minute, then stir them up (they've usually started to set), then give them 15 second bursts, stir etc til they're done. It will depend on how many, the power of your microwave, etc. Just go b feel.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 4:10 am 
Novice
Novice

hoosegow wrote:
Hows the best way to cook them, time/egg, etc?

Best method for cooking whole eggs is either soft boiled or sunny side up. You want your egg whites cooked and your yolks close to raw. Why?

1. MYTH Eating egg yolks will raise your cholesterol. The current data suggests its not the cholesterol you intake that raises blood cholesterol levels, but wether or not that cholesterol is oxidized (which happens when you cook or expose it to air). The microwave is an oxidation factory, swirling currents of hot air passing all over your food. It takes like 3 minutes to cook an egg sunny side up on my gas range and 5 minutes to eat 2 of them. I cook them last and eat them first. So at most my eggs are exposed to the air for about 10 minutes, 3 of which is over heat. Its not a perfect method, but its the best trade off so far. Also, I'm not sure how pasturization effects oxidation, but I'd think it was not good.

2. You want the whites cooked. Egg whites contain avidin, which binds to botin. Eating lots of raw egg whites can lead to a biotin deficiency. Cooking the whites will deactviate the avidin. Pasturized egg white products (like egg beaters) pass this test and should be safe to drink straight from the carton, you gross bastards! ehm, well if your Rocky, or anywhere as dangerous in the ring, your not so gross, the rest of you digust me! j/k

3. You want runny yolks. Cooking the yolks destroys many of the nutrients found within and oxidizes the cholesterol and fats to an unacceptable degree. Scrambled eggs are the worst for oxidized fats and cholesterol. The whites don't have as much fat or cholesterol in them so the effects of cooking them are not as risky. If your eaitng Omega3 eggs, and you should, this will also protect those fats (which are good for you regaurdless of your goals).

When I started paying more attention to diet and the foods I was eating, I got put on this diet that only let me have eggs in the form of egg beaters. Well, now I have 2-3 whole omega3 eggs, suny side up. Its a lot more appetizing (runny yolks took a bit to get used to but just mash em up and its like scrambled eggs) and more inline with eating whole natural foods. BTW, omega3 eggs get their omega3 from the diet fed to the chickens, so its not like added later or anything.

As always these are my opinions based on my laymans research. I'm open to discussion and/or critism (as long as its mature and constructive). I say eat the egg, the whole egg and nuthin but the egg (well excpet for maybe some veggies), sunny side up by god!

thems my $.02

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 8:53 am 
I just tried microwaved eggs a couple days ago. I was surprised how well that worked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:11 am 
Novice
Novice

Microwaving eggs is perfectly safe. Microwaves are electromagnetic radiation, the same as visible light, infrared light, ultraviolet light, and radio waves. It's not inherently dangerous.

A microwave oven contains a special vacuum tube called a magnetron that emits EM radiation in the microwave region of the spectrum. The metal cage surrounding the inside of the oven and the mesh grid on the door serve to contain the microwaves so they cannot escape and are instead reflected back onto the food.

Microwaves are absorbed by molecules that contain a dipole, such as water or sugar. When these molecules absorb this energy, they are said to be in an excited state (previously they were in their ground state). In order to reach equilibrium again, they must rid themselves of this extra energy. In the case of the microwave region of the spectrum, this energy is dissipated by the rotation of the molecule. The water molecules in an egg absorb the microwave energy and then rotate to release it. This rotation creates friction between water molecules and leads to their subsequent heating. The hot water and steam inside the eggs cooks them.

When you microwave eggs, you are basically steaming them from the inside.

It's also important to note that the microwave energy itself can only penetrate about an inch into food. And as some of it is absorbed, there is less and less penetrating deeper into the food. You end up with a non-uniform distribution of absorption within the food, a gradient. So it's a good idea to stir your eggs frequently to ensure even cooking. The rotating tray in the microwave oven helps with this as well, but stirring will do a better job. Otherwise, as the steam cooks the proteins, they will begin to denature too much. You want some of this denaturing to occur, because it's what firms up the eggs.

The proteins in their natural state are arranged in an alpha helix, a highly-ordered, if not intricately tangled, structure. Heating the proteins causes them to distort from this structure (to denature). If they denature too much, they can become so mangled that they basically squeeze the water out of the egg. If you've ever overcooked scrambled eggs, you know the familiar sight of a rubbery mass of eggs sitting in a puddle of water.

As for how long and what power setting to use when cooking eggs in a microwave, that varies by alititude and the power of the microwave itself. You'll have to experiment with it to find what works best for you. Sacrificing a couple dozen eggs on that quest is probably not a bad idea.

My rule of thumb is to never cook eggs to doneness. There will be residual heat in the eggs that will continue the cooking process after they leave the cooking medium, whatever that may be. Eggs cooked to doneness will end up overcooked by the time they cool enough to eat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 10:54 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

One of my favorite breakfast meals is microwaved egg sandwiches.

Toast 2 slices of bread.
Get a bowl and scramble 2 eggs in it. Add tabasco sauce, some milk, and whatever seasonings you like. Nuke it in the microwave for however long it takes to cook.

On my microwave and toaster oven, both usually end at the same time if you followed my directions. I take a spoon, spoon out the egg from the bowl onto the bread, and voila, a quick and easy breakfast sandwich.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 10:51 pm 
n00b
n00b

It is ok to eat foods that have been exposed to oxidative stress, such as eggs. It is true that the oxidation of cholesterol can be harmful to the body, but if you are taking in high amounts of anti-oxidants, then that will combat the oxidation of the eggs. Cellular Nutrition is a very good way to correct the issues related to oxidative stress.