ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:27 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's not possible and your link does not support that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:30 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

What isn't possible?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:51 pm 
Novice
Novice

from my experience cardio does takeaway from weightgain and muscle gain but that guys article not only sounded like an extremeists opinion but im sure that the date on the bottom read 1998 so... i would say that guys opinion may be a bit outdated thats just me though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:16 pm 
n00b
n00b

While on the topic, I recently read something that implied training in the Anerobic zone might train the body to burn Sugar, while training in the Aerobic zone trains the body to burn fat.

Any truth to this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:50 pm 

When long distance aerobic athletes "hit the wall", they are switching from carb burning to fat burning. This usually doesn't happen for some time. It's really long distance endurance stuff, well beyond normal aerobics. At this point, the body will burn what it has the most of. Carbs will generally be depleted by this point. Burning fat is less efficient so it's hard to maintain speed once you switch to fat burning but you can go a lot longer. Long distance athletes can encourage fat burning by eating more fat and the successful ones are able to harness fat burning as an energy source increasing their endurance. It's something that has to be trained. This is really elite athlete stuff, not for normal people.

In general, for activities for normal people, higher intensity will burn more calories and although a higher proportion comes from carbs, intensity trumps duration for fat burning.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/alwyn8.htm

Stu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:08 pm 

stu talking about elite atheletes burning fat. I watched this thing about this guy swimming the english channel he gained 20 lbs mainly of fat to swim the english channel. He lost 16 lbs of fat crossing it it was exactly as you said. He burned off all the fat he stored just for that purpose he swam for six hours. Thats crazy. Thing is he had a huge meal of carbs the night before that gave him like 1 16th of what was needed to cross the english channel his fat gave him the rest that is unbelieveable. Makes me think i should go swimming for six hours see what happens to the love handles hahaha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:23 pm 

I'm not sure that would work. If only it were that easy. :) I learned about this by reading about an alpine climber. He ate about 60% of his calories in fat. Almost no carbs. He did the same thing as your swimmer. He fattened up before the ordeal and then started his climb. He pointed out that it is something that needs to be trained and the diet has to match what you are doing. I don't think his diet would work for a normal person. It takes a while to build that fat burning ability.

The fact is that we live in an anaerobic world and that means we need carbs in our diet. Just not the volume that we've become accustomed to.

Stu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:13 pm 
n00b
n00b

It's unreal how some people make this sport SO complicated while simplicity is the key.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:11 pm 

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." -Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:48 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's unreal how some people make replies to old topics that nobody cares about anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:41 am 
Novice
Novice

Just keep excerssing that you love on your way to death. everone will die one day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:33 am 

aman wrote:
Just keep excerssing that you love on your way to death. everone will die one day.

Ironman wrote:
It's unreal how some people make replies to old topics that nobody cares about anymore.

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:27 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

aman wrote:

All your base are belong to us!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:35 am 

aman wrote:
I love my gunz.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2