ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Going to far?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:24 pm 

I want to try out colored contacts? And I'm a male- FYI. We're usually labeled gay for things like this. I feel like doing it anyways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:06 pm 

I kinda like the ones that have flames radiating out from the pupils.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:15 pm 

Go for it just dont make it a color that would cause people to assume that you're a flamer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:03 am 

I got into an argument with a girl about this the other day. I might be a little vain, yes I'll admit...but I'm not gay nor full of myself. I don't think my @#%$ don't stink. Is it Christianity that has been ingrained in our society that makes us think these are the only two options if a man cares about his appearance? Or what is it? I think its funny...because a large basis of western civilization is Greek and Roman ideals. And they valued aesthetics...that's why they're a bunch of naked men supposedly representing ideal beauty in art and sculpture from the Greco-Roman and Renaissance times. And we're supposed to like that and have people go on and on about it. But yet even though their society wasn't nearly as wussified as ours...they still accepted this idea more than we do now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:04 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It is certainly Christian values that make gay such a bad thing and a big deal in our culture. As for men's looks, that is an assigned traditional role. It has origins much older than Christianity. It likely goes back to hunter gather days, when a man's value was as a provider and looks more important for females. As far as grooming anyway. Of course men's genetic sort of looks did matter, but they didn't go out of there way to be appealing.

Now Christianity much like everything else adopted those roles. Those roles are forced on us. Woman seemed to have broken free in many ways because of their struggle for equality. But it does still persist for them to an extent, but it's ok to tell girls they can do what they want now. For men, we are still very tied to expected roles. You don't want to look to girly, but you should feel free to rebel and be yourself. Besides if guys can get away with dying hair and frosting the tips, you should be able to wear contacts. Hell, most bodybuilders tan and shave their legs.

Post subject: Re: Going to far?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:48 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Rucifer wrote:
I feel like doing it anyways.

If you want to, then do it.

I mean, Chuck Liddell paints his toenails.

I think in order to be gay you've actually got to start having sex with other men, not wear contacts. Otherwise you're just making a style choice. If it works for you - you like it, your romantic partner(s) like it - then that's fine. If you don't...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:56 am 
n00b
n00b

Psychologically, I would think anyone who assumed you were gay for doing anything like painting your nails or wearing colored contacts is actually just threatened by the fact that you are standing out more than they do. Like they've said before its just ingrained in our society that being gay is a bad thing so that is automatically the easiest insult you can throw out. Just change your mindset, if they call you gay, tell them they are boring. 90% of the world are idiots, if most of the world disagrees with you, you are probably doing something right.

I personally wouldn't wear colored contacts because I'm fine with my natural eye color. I sometimes think the colored contacts are goofy looking but I would never assume something about someone's sexuality based on them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:13 pm 

It's not gay, just a little fruity. Lots of straight guys are fruity (people call them metrosexuals), and lots of gay guys aren't (you'de probably never suspect they were gay).

Of course, colored contacts alone don't make you a metrosexual. You have to look at the big picture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:33 pm 

PS) It's a common misconception that homosexuality was socially acceptable in Ancient Rome. The truth is a little more complicated. For example, it was acceptable for a Roman man to have sex with just about anyone, man, woman or child, but only if he maintained a dominant male role. Meanwhile, free Roman men were expected to marry women and father children, and homosexual relationships between women were a big taboo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:55 pm 

Matt Z wrote:
PS) It's a common misconception that homosexuality was socially acceptable in Ancient Rome. The truth is a little more complicated. For example, it was acceptable for a Roman man to have sex with just about anyone, man, woman or child, but only if he maintained a dominant male role. Meanwhile, free Roman men were expected to marry women and father children, and homosexual relationships between women were a big taboo.

True- but the Greeks didn't feel that way. In fact, they had such a negative opinion of women, that they viewed the purest form of love between two men. Well at least alot of the philosopher's at the time, and the ones we have records on. Probably not average joes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:01 pm 

Matt Z wrote:
It's not gay, just a little fruity. Lots of straight guys are fruity (people call them metrosexuals), and lots of gay guys aren't (you'de probably never suspect they were gay).

Of course, colored contacts alone don't make you a metrosexual. You have to look at the big picture.

I sort of define the whole term metrosexual by this- its something you can't quite pin down, but you know it when you see it. I think I'd still look masculine enough to not be called it (I hope). And then of course...there is your actions. A friend of mine is real professional looking- and he does a lot of metrosexual things. He tans, plucks his brows, very clean shaven and all sorts, but doesn't look feminine. But I think its mostly just the way he acts- he doesn't project a feminine attitude. But I guess I am just talking out my @$$ now so I'll just see how it goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:08 pm 

Jungledoc wrote:
I kinda like the ones that have flames radiating out from the pupils.

SCORE!

I also vote you do it if you want.

Who cares what someone thinks, unless she won't talk to you because of it, then don't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:34 pm 

PS) We all have our little excentricities. Some people might think it's strange that I photograph flowers and butterflies (I also photograph birds, mammals, reptiles, amphibians, fishes, dragonflies, landscapes and pretty much anything else related to wildlife and nature).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:42 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

If you leave the house with shoes that really need a shine, you're not a metrosexual.

Funny, I live in New York, and the metrosexuals aren't exactly coming out of the woodwork. It's just some "Entertainment Tonight" / "People" magazine term used to drum up business.

But I did get a pedicure once, before a vacation to the shore. The calf massage put me to sleep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:07 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

get one that makes your eyes super red, so people think your stoned all the time lol jk