ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: just curious
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:00 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

It is simple curiosity not something I was going to use regularly. I thought I had read it somewhere, but having a hard time locating it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:11 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Jungledoc wrote:

My only thought on the DLs (other than that I love DLs) is that 3 sets of 10 is getting on to a pretty high volume. Depending on your age and other factors that affect recovery (rest, diet) that might be a bit much. As the weight goes up you may want to consider decreasing the volume a bit. Also, doing DLs every-other workout may provide better recovery.

How should I split my program if I were going to set it up for every other workout day i.e. what would I do M, W, F, etc.?

Would I increase sets or number of exercises for each muscle since I won't be doing as many exercises?

Should I do (3) sets of pull-ups or just one set to failure?

Last edited by slw0096 on Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:02 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

stuward wrote:
For the deadlifts, rather than do sets of 10, do a cluster set, 10 sets of 1. That means reset after each rep. Stand up between reps. Take 2 breaths, regrip the bar, set your back correctly and then pull. This will give you practice at setting up and will ensure that each rep is done with proper form. You will gain the confidence to go heavy quite quickly. Deadlifting is all about confidence. Most people are capable of lifting much more than they do.

Thanks for the tip. I enjoy this method alot, recovery is slightly quicker, I can do more and feel pumped afterwards.

Post subject: getting through 4th week
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:14 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Getting through week 4 (this round anyway) and going strong. I figure I will continue with this routine until end of week eight.

What changes should I look to make so that my body doesn't get adapt at what I'm doing?

I've read and recently I've been wondering about working muscles each workout day (M, W & F) vs working them out once to twice a week. I know there are as many opinions and theories as there are people, but I'd like a little insight. - I assume by going to once or twice a week, the volume is drastically increased during the workout so that the muscles actually need the rest. Just looking to get the most out of each workout session.

Post subject: another question
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:03 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I didn't have too much of a problem Monday, but today seemed to tax me to the point of not feeling up to doing a round of Tabata.

I've been told I should do cardio 5-6 times a week which overlaps with working out MWF; I'm using Tabata for my cardio. Should I do it 5-6 times a day (inlcuding workout days)? Is there an added benefit to doing it 2x a day e.g. once in the morning and once in the evening?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:58 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

If you do Tabatas 2x a day, 5-6 days a week, I don't think you'll really have that much time to recover.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:11 pm 

Don't do Tabata's more than 3 times/wk. if you want to add "cardio" on the other days, go for a walk. You don't have to "go all out" every time. That's the trouble with normal "cardio", it's not intense enough to give the results that you get from Tabatas but the are too intense to allow recovery. Your recomendation for 5-6 days/wk was likely for normal cardio. Going for a walk helps you destress and aids recovery as well as burns calories.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:39 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

pdellorto wrote:
If you do Tabatas 2x a day, 5-6 days a week, I don't think you'll really have that much time to recover.

I meant Tabata 2x a day on non-workout days. My current ability is one good 4 min session in, and I was wonderin if I did it once in the morning and once in the evening would I benefit more vs just once a day. My goal is to do 3 - 4min sessions in one workout w/ 1 min break in between each session.

On workout days, if I feel up to it, I will do one 4 min session afterwards, but I make sure I put my all into my workout and get that down and then if I feel up to it, I get on the bike for 5 min warm up, 4 min session, 5 min cool down.

So, the break down is:

M, W & F - workout w/ 4 min tabata session
T, TH & Sat - tabata workout

Is this too much?!?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:46 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

stuward wrote:
Don't do Tabata's more than 3 times/wk. if you want to add "cardio" on the other days, go for a walk. You don't have to "go all out" every time. That's the trouble with normal "cardio", it's not intense enough to give the results that you get from Tabatas but the are too intense to allow recovery. Your recomendation for 5-6 days/wk was likely for normal cardio. Going for a walk helps you destress and aids recovery as well as burns calories.

The recommendation involved high intensity cardio: fast for 30s and slow for 1 min to 1.5 mins; it was followed for weight loss. Same old belief of 45 to 1 hour of cardio is required. That's why I'm reading and asking to learn and adapt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:28 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I knew, and I am quickly learning that the scale is not a good indication of much of anything. I know I am making progress by the way my muscles feel, my posture and my numbers are going up (sets x reps).

What are some other good and easy methods for ensuring gains are being made i.e. how do I know that I'm changing fat mass for muscle mass?

Is there anything to do on off days to curve the feeling of wanting to workout?!?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:25 am 

It looks like you're making some good progress. If you keep lifting like that and eating enough you should tack on weight on each lift for a while.

It looks like you are doing the kethnaab version of Starting Strength, with rows instead of power cleans. Is that right?

Post subject: Re: squat
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:30 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

slw0096 wrote:
I've read somewhere about body weight being lifted in squat but can't seem to find it now. Can anyone tell me what % of body weight is lifted in squat?

Steve I do it like this. I once got up to 215 lbs myself and squatted 400 lbs 8 reps that was my personal best. Now I'm down to about 182 by dropping your own body weight I think its safe to say the weight you can lift would naturally go up. I know what your talking about because I wondered the same thing If you have 385 lbs on there and you weigh 170 lbs how much of that 170 lbs would you be adding to the total weight lifted right? I would say 80 % of your body weight since most weight is hips up and you def lift that. I'll do some research and stop back if I get an actual answer.

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:12 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

pdellorto wrote:
It looks like you're making some good progress. If you keep lifting like that and eating enough you should tack on weight on each lift for a while.

It looks like you are doing the kethnaab version of Starting Strength, with rows instead of power cleans. Is that right?

Thanks. For the most part, I am able to add weight or increase reps. I'm still trying to get my eating down - that's tougher than working out.

That is correct. I'm using the Pendlays instead of cleans because I've "never" done cleans before, don't have someone who can teach me and scared I'll screw something up. With that said, I have started attempting partial cleans to get myself into position for the military press. It doesn't seem so bad, but still makes me nervous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:30 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

If you're progressing, nothing's broke. And if it ain't broke, there's no need to fix it.

Just keep going.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:51 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Proper Knob wrote:
If you're progressing, nothing's broke. And if it ain't broke, there's no need to fix it.

Just keep going.

Thanks for the reminder. I know from reading that more is not necessarily better, but right now I am struggling with my mind in that my workout does not seem enough. Also, it's hard when I do not see physical signs of progress. I keep a journal and can see weight increases, and I feel differently, but clothes haven't started falling off and gut is still quite visible. Are thre any other methods to tracking progress?!?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next