ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bench Press Only Workout
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:48 pm 
Let's say I'm on a split program where one day I focus on only the pecs and or/triceps. My main goal is to gain size.

The only equipment I have available is a flat bench, olympic barbell and plates.

So, if I were to only do the Bench Press, how many sets/reps of this exercise should I do?

Today, I managed to superset 6 sets of bench press with chin-ups, but felt I could lift a few more sets of bench press, but was afraid of overtraining.

I know variety is important for progression, but I'm hoping that changing the rep range every month would handle it.

Whats your advice?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:51 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

you want size? more weight.... Find a way to hit your clavicle pectoral head as well if you want a more rounded set of pecs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 12:04 am 

To target the clavicular portion, you can lower the weight to the upper chest rather than the lower part of the pec.

In fact, Dr. Fred Hatfield (aka Dr. Squat) recommends this over traditional inclines presses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 10:47 am 
I've been increasing the weight by 5lbs every workout, but I don't know if I should be doing more pec exercises or not... you know, to exercise different parts of the pecs.

Is 6 sets of 6-8 reps enough? I train the chest once a week.

Although I don't know what the clavicle pec is, I'll tryout the lowering of the weight to the upper chest to work the clavicle more. What would lowering the weight to the lower chest do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 4:03 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Lowering the bar to the middle or lower chest would involve the lower pectorals more. Also, the closer your elbows are to your ribs the more your front delts will be involved.

You can also try close-grip bench presses for front delts and triceps. Don't go super narrow on these. This puts a lot of stress on the wrists and elbows. I like to use a grip where my hands are just barely wider than my ribcage, and lower the bar to my pecs meet my abdominals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 4:04 pm 

If you do close-grips, do them after your regular benching ... not before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:11 pm 
Novice
Novice

6 sets is not over training
for size 8-12 is best
so you only have the equip listed?
that sucks

you can get a full body workout with that though
try this for chest
pick a weight something you can do 15 reps with on your first set-the 15th should be failure
do 10 sets 10 reps each set
progressively use more weight
in the following workouts
do you have a partner?
you can do incline pushups with a weight on your back to target the upper chest as well

can you get to a gym?
the 40-70 a month investment will pay off with the equip you have access to!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 1:44 pm 
what do u mean 8-12 sets or reps for size i read in a mens health magazine that 1 set is just as good as 3 sets anymore will u can do it if u want too and 10 sets of 10 reps r u serious again waste of time and if u can do 15 reps of something u mind as well just add more weight and get less reps in

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 3:07 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD

The last poster was referring to this
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/luis13.htm
And he is serious. This has been around for some time, but Poliquin popularized it in the mid 90's. Read it carefully though. It's not all 10X10 with a 60% weight. It has four phases to it, you start out light with high volume, thengo for phase II with heavier weight, about 2 working sets. Back to 10 sets, but this time fewer reps and a bit heavier weight, and finish off low volume, high intensity. I have tried it, and while I did get a little size, I found that I did get major srength gains during the lower volume, higher intensity phases, and leaned out quite a bit during the high volume phases.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 6:25 pm 
Novice
Novice

yes i am serious that is why i have gained lbs of muscle continuisly since iwas 18
mens health is for preventing prostate cancer not putting on muscle!!!!
you are right 15 reps is pointless, but do that weight 10 times and i bet that first set of 15 reps doesnt go up so easy!!
try it let us know
"what do u mean 8-12 sets or reps for size i read in a mens health magazine"
1 set is just getting a warmup

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 7:46 pm 
German volume training works great. I like to do a modified version though. Instead of doing 10 sets of flat bench for chest, I do 5 flat and 5 incline for a litte more ballance. You can gain some size. The thing is like any training protocol it doesn't work forever. The other thing I do a lot is 3 or 4 sets of 6 to 8 reps to failure per part, lifting around 90%. I do another program that is real low volume. You do 1 working set to failure at 90% for each part, but you make it a drop set, even a double or triple drop sometimes. When I do that I frequently have a spotter help me get 2 forced reps with real slow negatives.

I really don't see any value in doing more then 10 sets. If you are doing it right and aren't on steroids 10 sets at 65 to 70% is plenty. If you can get all your reps on every set and your rest is under 2 minutes, you need to up the weight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 1:44 pm 

Modifications are great. Nothing is written in stone. T-Mag came up with a version of GVT that used 3 exercises instead of the one for the 10 sets. Never tried it, but it sounded pretty good. I modified day 3 when I first tried Poliquin's version of GVT. I just can't see devoting a whole session to arms. It's not in me. So what I did was to examine everything. The first two sessions covered Horizontal push-pull-verticlr pull-squat, core, and the posterior chain and vertical push looked to be lacking, so I did an EDT version of clean and push press for day 3, and finished it off with some P bar dips and hammer curls. Point being, set goals, and design it around what you want to do with it.
Tim