ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

have you thrown up from a good leg workout?
yes 18%  18%  [ 2 ]
no 82%  82%  [ 9 ]
squats are far too hard to do 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 11
 Post subject: thoughts on squats
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 9:41 pm 
Novice
Novice

regular run of the mill in the bucket squats with as much weight as you can do without hurting yourselfs. What are your thoughts on squats.love them or hate them.
i am sure most agree that they are a MUST do.
but good lord i hate leg day.
any comments on the notorious mass builders??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 10:13 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD

"Leg day"? What is that? I squat every day, albeit light. Front and overheads. I use them as a warmup with no more than 95 lbs. On top of that, I use front, back and overhead to a fairly heavy double or triple each onch a week, on different days I usually limit the fronts to what I can clean X 120 percent, same with the overheads and the snatch, and the back squat, well I will go for it, but have never met "Pukies bucket"
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 12:07 am 

Lifting heavy really shouldnt make you throw up since lifting heavy means lower reps and lower reps shouldnt make you sick.

The closest I have ever gotten to throwing up lifting was doing a circuit of

3 random exercises
then
Bench
Squat
increasing reps by 5 on each time through the circuit, starting with 10 reps and dropping the earliest exercise.

Did my set of 25 bench and 25 reps on the squat and then felt like dying and turned white and got really clammy.

couldnt finish the last round which had 30 reps of squats.

The circuit was done with no rest at all, just moving from exercise to exercise.

In general, now I do not do a leg day per say but definately have leg emphasis twice per week. My training is mostly less than 5 reps for multiple sets with 2-4 minute rest breaks.

2-3 times per year I do 3 week cycles of higher reps with lower weight and then I get tired but never sick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 12:21 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I've come close, but its more from some stupid decisions to try and work out too soon after a large meal than the decision to do heavy legs. I've never noticed any connection between working my legs and feeling sick, although I must admit, if I end up feeling real bad I'll just stop working out, before the time comes that I'd need to throw up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 10:06 am 
Novice
Novice

yeah i must must admitt throwing up from a workout is pushing it over the edge.
i have thrown up twice, once because i ate shortly before, the other was because the intensity was crazy,
i always feel a bit queezy after a good leg workout though.

this is the vomit inducing workout i did.i was 22 and in the best shape i have ever been, also very crazy with the workouts we did(i train much smarter now)
we got this out of an old muscle fitness mag
it was a workout that a-rod did--its called warriors mountain:
115 for 50
145 for 30
225 for 21
275 for 14
315 for 7
315 for 7
275 for 14
225 for 21
145 for 30
115 for 50

walking lunges across a basketball court length- 2 times.....then i puked,
the next day i barely walked.
that was the first and last time i have tried something that crazy.

but it was like sky diving...you should try it once

we all should have a most memorable workout.that was mine...what wsa yours?????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 10:53 am 

ROFLMAO, I can definately see why you may have gotten queasy. Mine. First time I tried crossfit. They had a workout posted called "Cindy". It was a circuit of 5 pullups, 1- pushups, 15 bodyweight squats. As many rounds as possible in 20 minutes. I thought, "that's way too easy", o modified it to 10 pullups, 10 P bar dips, 15 front squats w/96 lbs, no hands style. After 12 rounds and 15 minutes, I thought I was going to die.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 12:01 pm 
[quote="TimD"]ROFLMAO,

tim, what is that?

by the way cindy sounds like a great challenge, i will try it and let you know--maybe tuesday i will do it!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 12:07 pm 

Hi Kevin.Rolling On The Floor Laughing My Ass Off/ That workout you listed sounded mean as all get out, and I understand why you felt the way you did. What I forgot t post (it wasn't a workout in the lieteral sense) was when I got drafted in Nixon's first draft lottery, ended up in Viet Nam and my first day over there was filling and throwing sandbags for 12 hours. at LZ Maryanne. Ha. Glad I don't have to do that stuff anymore. I'll do barrels, stones, dog food bags, but won't go near sandbags.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 12:20 pm 
:)
you just aged yourself:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 12:45 pm 

Yep, I did age myself. It's no secret. 56 years young.:) Been training for close to 45 of them:)
Good training, and good thread, Kevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 7:47 pm 
Probably the best knee rehab exercise going around if done correctly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 7:36 am 

My marathon. I hated every minute of training for it. I hated running it. I will never, wait a minute, NEVER do that again. You have to be sick to run a second one once you know what it is like. 4 hrs. 56 minutes and 57 seconds at 240 lbs. Hoosegows aren't built for long distances.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 8:11 am 

Hey Kevin, just reread the thread, and saw your comment on skydiving. When I was in basic training, army, the DI got us all together on the first day,and asked for a show of hands for all o0f those wanting to go to airborne training. A few put their hands up, and the DI make this statement "Gentlemen, two things fall out of the sky, birds--t and idiots". Unfortunately I got assigned to an SF unit, and had to undergo training at Fort Benning. Yeah, I think everyone should try it if they want to, but its right up there with sandbags as something to never do again, for me, anyway.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 2:33 pm 

Well I've never puked from a workout, but I remember the first couple of times I really squatted heavy, boy was I sore for 2-3 days afterwards. It was kind of funny though, my roommate (lifting buddy) and I were making comments about how sore our asses were that I'm pretty sure nearly everyone else misinterpreted. Thankfully I have a staunch record of heterosexuality to point to, oh yeah, and I squat much more than most people, so I don't have to take their $h1t anyway.