ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Triceps
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:29 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

What's the best exercise for triceps for someone with just a home gym and no machines? I've been doing lying triceps extensions, but I'm not sure if maybe close-grip bench presses or something else would be better to do? I'm looking mainly for size, not really cuts or hitting all the "heads" etc. Just one good exercise to follow up my bench/incline bench presses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:40 pm 
Dumbbell kickbacks, I think they're called. And only move your forearm on this move. They'll have your tri's barking in no time. Also for tri's, you've got to mix up the routines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:15 pm 

Well personally I dont think kickbacks are that great of an exercise if you want your triceps to get stronger.

Lying triceps extensions are pretty good but you should probably use some close grip benches as well, extensions cant compete with the poundage you use on close grip benches and poundage promotes the most growth.

Post subject: Re: Triceps
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:10 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Nunya wrote:
What's the best exercise for triceps for someone with just a home gym and no machines? I've been doing lying triceps extensions, but I'm not sure if maybe close-grip bench presses or something else would be better to do? I'm looking mainly for size, not really cuts or hitting all the "heads" etc. Just one good exercise to follow up my bench/incline bench presses.

I work exclusively in my basement and generally do lying floor extensions and/or close grips. Although, I do have a high and low pulley unit, so I can throw in rope pushdowns once in a while

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:51 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

I'm with lady Di on the close grips. They also are great for any upper body pushing involvement you wish to incorporate. My favorite tricep exercize, though, are the P bar (Parrallel Bar) dips. Have you ever checked out the upper arms on an elite gymnast? Their arms equal that of any top bodybuilder, and the bars and rings are what they focus their attention to.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:52 am 
Novice
Novice

All those are pretty good. In addition I sometimes do skull crushers, and sometimes seated 1 arm extensions.

One other thing I do sometimes is start with a lying extension/kickback and then when I can't do anymore, push the dumbells together for closegrips. It works the same with skull crushers. It is kind of halfway between a drop set and a super set.

I just kind of rotate them myself. Change is good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:36 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Depends on what kind of bench you have, but if you have one where you can set the pins half way down do close grip presses from there. Lift it up, then down touching the pins momentarily, and repeat for the desired reps. Since its only the top half of the move it allows you to use alot more weight than normal. Not sure what kind of size gains itll give you with the limited range, but its something different and will definitely have a carryover to the lock-out portion of your bench press.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:43 pm 
Novice
Novice

The very first muscle I noticed when I began lifting weights was my tricep. I actually didn't even know what the hell it was at first. I'd just been doing a lot of pushups, and all of a sudden I looked at the back of my upper arm one day and almost fell over. LOL

I've been doing mostly kickbacks for a while and have just added dumbbell extensions recently.

I haven't seen anyone mention it, but I'd wager that good old fashioned bench presses are a great starting point as well since it's a well-established compound move. I do those at the beginning, and by the time I get to the tricep isolation exercises I've definitely gotten a good workout from them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:55 pm 
Novice
Novice

I work exclusively at home without cables or machines. I rely on a mixture of exercises:

Close grip bench press with elbows in to sides, seated over head one arm and double arm extentions , tricep kick backs, lying one arm and two arm skull crushers and close grip diamond pushups.

Scott Ismari

Post subject: Sierra
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:17 am 
DELETED

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]