ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: protien
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 1:36 am 
Does anyone get irregular bowel movements from whey protien? and is it just a passing phase? also is the protien you get from Soy anygood?

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 7:58 am 
Novice
Novice

soy protien is no good for men--i dont know the scientific reason but i will research it later today, it has estrogen enhancing effects though... a big problem for men.

as for the whey--are you lactose intolerant?
what kind of whey are you using ?
they make whey isolates that have no lactose in them..maybe thats it
also how much whey are you using?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 8:40 am 
I don't think there is anything wrong with soy. I have never had a problem. Propper whey shouldn't have lactose. If you take too much whey, you won't be able to absorb all of it. That can result in an extra trip to the bathroom. One or two servings at a time only. One before and one after is probably best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 8:54 am 
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson71.htm

check this link out-i dont know how to post it so all you have to do is click9im not that internet savvy)

this talk about the bad in soy, but apparently if taken below 25 gms it is ok

another thing if you are using soy as your post workout i would use whey instead
soy congeals in you stomach and takes longer to digest

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 9:20 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Good link Kevin. I've heard both pro's and cons about soy. I know a female PL type on another board that was told to NOT use it, but that was because she had undergone breast cancer therapy, and the estrogens are not wanted in that case. For healthy people, though, I think the jury is out, still deliberating, and would love to see more studies done.
I do know that proteins differ in there abilities of absorbtion, whey P is absorbed quickly and considered "anabolic" because of those properties, whereas cassein's are absorbed more slowly and considered "anticatabolic" because of these properties. I'd like to know where soy stands. I've heard it's grouped with the "anticatabolics", but haven't seen any serious research on it.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 1:11 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I know that studies have shown that childeren (esp. male children) should stay away from excessive soy as it messes with hormone levels during development but I didn't know that there was an affect on the adult population.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 1:21 pm 
I don't really ever have more then 25 grams at a time. So I can't say I've really tested it out on myself. I agree about the whey though. That is what I have right before and right after. I have shakes and bars at other times that have a mix of proteins which include a lot of soy. I also eat lots of eggs and any kind of meat you can think of. Plus cheese, nuts, and even some veggies that have a high protein content (relativly speaking). So I have quite a mix of proteins. So very different from someone who has mostly soy. Still I think most soy consumers are more like me and soy is just one of many many different sources.