ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Upper abs
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 3:49 pm 
I realized recently that I think my upper abs are much much smaller than my middle and lower abs. I don't have visible abs but when I suck in my gut can see one section. Until recently I assumed I was seeing the upper abs, but after feeling around there I think it is the middle abs, with the upper ones being virtually non-existent. I have two questions, Is this normal? and assuming it is not, are there some good exercises to really target the upper abs, or something maybe to do during a normal ab routine to make sure that area is getting sufficiently worked? Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 6:19 pm 
i think i got same problem i can see 4 of my abs and i cant see the other 2 at all unless i only got a 4 pack or its gentic or something top 2 cant see it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 6:38 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

The rectus abdominus is one muscle rather than two or three. When you do an ab exercise, you are working the whole muscle.

That being said, some exercises work the upper abs more vigorously, and others work the lower abs more. Do a variety of exercises. If you do only one or two, you won’t be working the whole muscle.

Crunches and its variations target the upper abs, as do the following:

Abs upper Arm/Leg Lift
Lie on back on floor; knees bent; calves parallel to floor; arms flat above head; bring alternate arm and leg up towards the ceiling, crunching pelvis and torso at the same time.

Abs upper Roll Back, Sitting Decline Crunch
Sit tall with your knees bent and arms outstretched to the sides of your knees.
Keep your neck long, chest open, and your shoulder blades flat against your back.Start the movement by rolling off of your sit bones and lowering your back slowly. Envision lowering one vertebra at a time, to the ground, with great control.
When your abs completely engage, or you feel like lifting your feet off the ground pause.
With the same control, slowly rise to the start position. Imagine stacking one vertebra at a time, in sequence, as you roll back up.

Abs upper Decline Crunch
Hook feet on decline board; upper body perpendicular to the board; knees bent; lower upper body about a foot; hold; back up; contract abs on way up. Do not go down further than 12 inches to minimize stress on the lower back.
Vary intensity by increasing the incline of the board.

Hope this helps...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 6:58 pm 
Upper abs, lower abs LOL The whole concept was designed by fitness machine manufacturers as a way of differentiating their 'ab roller', 'ab king', 'ab blaster' etc etc from their competitor. There are no such thing. Your rectus is one muscle as NB said but you can not work one more than the other, why? Simple, the rectus, the whole rectus is innervated by the same nerves; it fires the whole lot fires at similar levels during any flexor torque generation. That said a very small number of people can activate one section differently in some activities but it is certainly not the norm. The obliques are another story though and they do have a number of seperate neural areas. So do one rectus exercise and use the time you save on some other exercise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 3:29 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I have heard that this exercise targets your upper abs,

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Rec ... runch.html

You can certainly 'feel' it in your upper abs, however, what you 'feel' seems to be a controversial subject ;-)

I you have been doing crunches etc for a while now, it is a nice breath of fresh air to try supersetting your abs. Right now I do the above exercise with hanging leg raises but you can mix it up and do any two.

KP