ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Microwave Ready Meals
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 6:26 am 
Hi

Since i stared training my diet has been quite good. I generally eat quite healthy and have quite a low body fat ratio. Before I started training I would eat these microwave meals, for quickness other than taste! When I started training I heard that they were not good for you.

Does anyone know why? Or have any info on the nutritional value...

I'm not trying to argue in their favour, I would just like to know. I actually had one the other day, first time in about 2 years, atleast. It actually made my stomach ache..... In the same way a mcdonalds or Burger king effects you - when your diet has been very strict for a few months, then you grab a quick burger from one of these places, and your ill, lol.

I read on sylvester stallones website that this is normal. Strict diet then eat junk food and you end up with stomach cramps etc...

But more to the point, I would like to know about Pre made, frozen, Microwave Meals.

Thanks

KP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 6:27 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Guest above was me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:33 am 
Mostly it is because they are full of sugar. Just look at the nutritional information and the ingredients. That is really the trick to all this, just paying attention to exactly what you are getting when you buy food. I have seen some meals that are actually good though. They are few and far between, but they exist. You won't find them with the weight watchers and lean cusine crap though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:46 am 
Thanks for the reply.

What I was really meaning was,

Is there any difference in nutritional value between a frozen Microwave meal and the exact same meal, only not pre made (e.g made the normal way)?

Hope that makes sense...

After I sent the last post, I found this article

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microwave_meal

Quote:
The freezing process tends to degrade the taste of food, and are thus heavily processed with extra salt and fat to compensate. The dinners are also less nutritious than fresh food, and are formulated to remain edible after long periods of storage, thus often requiring preservatives such as BHT.

This is a long the lines of what I have heard before.... Was really just looking for someone to agree/disagree.

Thanks

KP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 1:14 pm 
Yea thats right. They add sugar to ALL of them. Some of them have fat and salt added too though. The "diet" ones just have the sugar, and sometimes more sugar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:33 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Anonymous wrote:
Is there any difference in nutritional value between a frozen Microwave meal and the exact same meal, only not pre made (e.g made the normal way)?

I think the answer is yes, but only because of my prejudice against microwave meals. Compare the nutrional information on one to what it would be if you ate 'real food'. They also taste like crap. Are you just too lazy to prepare your own food? Or do you want a way to take food with you places, like to work. There's many solutions to both of these problems that don't involve icky microwave meals. Just because they make them and market them as being healthy, doesn't make them healthy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 10:50 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

There are primarily 3 things that make food taste good.

Sugar, fat, or salt.

Look on any processed foods and you will see at least one of those three things that are abnormally high.

I personally try to stay away from microwave dinners, but occasionally, when I'm really pressed for time, I'll just go for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 12:14 pm 

thanks for the replies.

Quote:
Are you just too lazy to prepare your own food? Or do you want a way to take food with you places, like to work. There's many solutions to both of these problems that don't involve icky microwave meals

I am guilty of being too lazy to prepare my own food, but I don't turn to microwave meals. I don't like them and the one I had a few days ago made me ill... I just wanted to know exactly why there so bad...

thanks

KP