ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nutritional science
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:02 am 
former lurker

Nutritional science investigates the metabolic and physiological responses of the body to diet. With advances in the fields of molecular biology, biochemistry, and genetics, the study of nutrition is increasingly concerned with metabolism and metabolic pathways: the sequences of biochemical steps through which substances in living things change from one form to another.

The human body contains chemical compounds, such as water, carbohydrates (sugar, starch, and fiber), amino acids (in proteins), fatty acids (in lipids), and nucleic acids (DNA and RNA). These compounds in turn consist of elements such as carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen, phosphorus, calcium, iron, zinc, magnesium, manganese, and so on. All of these chemical compounds and elements occur in various forms and combinations (e.g. hormones, vitamins, phospholipids, hydroxyapatite), both in the human body and in the plant and animal organisms that humans eat.

The human body consists of elements and compounds ingested, digested, absorbed, and circulated through the bloodstream to feed the cells of the body. Except in the unborn fetus, the digestive system is the first system involved. In a typical adult, about seven liters of digestive juices enter the lumen of the digestive tract. These break chemical bonds in ingested molecules, and modulate their conformations and energy states. Though some molecules are absorbed into the bloodstream unchanged, digestive processes release them from the matrix of foods. Unabsorbed matter, along with some waste products of metabolism, is eliminated from the body in the feces.
-------------
mukesh11

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:22 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Impressive article. But how do you reconcile that knowledge with the low fat calorie reduction method on your site? Since you apparently know about the metabolic pathway's and all the hormones involved, is it at all reasonable to think they will react to every substance you eat exactly the same? That sounds silly. Knowing what you do about the metabolism of carbs and their effects on insulin, and insulin reactions within the body, how can you recommend low fat? Could this be that you need to unlearn preconceived notions and trust what you know about nutritional science? Or what is it? I find the dichotomy quite perplexing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:45 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I don't find it perplexing. It's called marketing. It has nothing to do with science or product quality. He regurgitates a lot of jargon without truly understanding it, knowing that the average reader won't either but they might be impressed. The naive reader will then assume that since the writer knows more than they do, since they didn't understand what he wrote, will assume that his brilliance has put together a wonderful fat loss program. In fact it simply a run of the mill, ineffective product that has simply been put in new packaging.

Maybe this is why Chrysler and GM are in trouble. Maybe people are really smarted than marketers assume they are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:27 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ah, that makes sense now. I agree about the cars too. I would never by an American designed car. I used the word designed instead of built deliberately. All because my extremely nice Japanese designed Toyota Camry was built here in American.