ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: jps' journal discussion
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:14 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Let me know what you think....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:45 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Got my first compliment today....someone noticed that I have lost some weight and looking a little different! :grin: Feels good that my hard work and diet have been working....I am down to 189 as of this morning! I don't expect too much more weight loss.....couple pounds maybe. Makes the past 3 months seem all that much more worth it....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:37 pm 

Congrats.

Guy that lifts @ my gym, big dude, works in construction too. I asked him how he isn't falling over tired, he lifts pretty hard. He eats like mad, and drinks about 10 whey shakes a day.

So... every time you start feeling weak or run down, up the cals, and get some more sleep, maybe a day off.

Keep chugging along, and don't be afraid to go heavy and test a max now and again.

I like to be just a wee bit afraid of my next set. The stomach churn is sweet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:56 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Funny you mention being tired and weak.....I've had that feeling for several days. I couldn't keep my eyes open last night....wound up falling asleep on the couch....at 8:00 pm!

I need to tweak my diet a bit I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:26 pm 

Yeah I wouldn't be afraid of carbs if your working that hard, and I honestly take in a lot of caffeine and don't have half as hard a job as you do.

Don't be afraid to take a day off now and again, but just one... HA HA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:58 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Sounds like you're making progress and other people are noticing. That's good positive reinforcement!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:46 pm 

I was noticing that you do your decline situps before your squats--any special reason? I'd think you'd want your core fresh for stabilizing the squats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:48 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

No special reason....I guess I should put them at the end of my routine?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:28 pm 

jps wrote:
No special reason....I guess I should put them at the end of my routine?

I don't think it matters as long as they are after squats.

I didn't understand this when I first started posting here at all. Thought Stu was out of his tree :green: . Turns out, the man is a genius, and the Good Doctor above is following in his footsteps.

The heavier your squats get, the more you will feel your abs and obliques work.

EDIT:

About being sick. Rippetoe talks about it (and others too.) I believe the consensus was flu like, stay on the couch. Head cold, workout. If it effects the whole body take the time to heal, if it's just the upper respiratory system, eh push on fine solider. (I could be very wrong about that.)

But I will go out on a limb and say. You have learned a valuable lesson. You have been taxing your CNS, and then went out and drank your face off. Then hammered it again with more workouts. You ran yourself into the ground and got sick. Gotta learn to listen to your body. (I did the same thing, twice in 6 months, only once was beer involved thou, second time was working 900+ hours in 15 weeks.)

So now you know your limit. Keep pushing and your limit will continue to increase, but learn to toe the line, don't cross it.

Just my .02

Last edited by nygmen on Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:33 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I'll do them at the end like I did my last workout. I can say that 3 sets of 15 were a bit more of a challenge....getting tired at that point.

Glad I started posting my routines.....the info is great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:42 pm 

jps wrote:

Glad I started posting my routines.....the info is great!

Yeah I felt the same way.

Plus it's cool to know someone is reading it that gets it. When I come home all giddy from hitting a big deadlift my wife just looks at me funny, and a half assed congrats.

The other good part is tracking progress. I can normally remember what weight to use next time, but I like to be able to look back and see how long it took from 315 to 405 etc.

I believe you mentioned you wish you bought a squat rack, well, you can make one out of wood and pipe that should do you for a year or so, unless your like Hoose and start squatting 405, making me jealous. :grin:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:12 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Looking at equipment now, I should have bought a rack or cage (whatever you call it), and a bench that can slide into it or be pulled out. I will be in need of a new bench soon too....mine is a tad wobbly, and has some rust on the feet. Is there any particular place for me to shop online for equipment? I used bayoufitness.com for my lat machine. Maybe a nice mid width bench with uprights that adjust enough to be used as a squat rack.....
like this
I don't know though....when weight increases enough, that setup maybe unstable too. ??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:23 pm 

jps wrote:
Looking at equipment now, I should have bought a rack or cage (whatever you call it), and a bench that can slide into it or be pulled out. I will be in need of a new bench soon too....mine is a tad wobbly, and has some rust on the feet. Is there any particular place for me to shop online for equipment? I used bayoufitness.com for my lat machine. Maybe a nice mid width bench with uprights that adjust enough to be used as a squat rack.....
like this
I don't know though....when weight increases enough, that setup maybe unstable too. ??

Shazam

Can even adjust the safeties to catch your bench before it smashes your face if you fail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:36 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Looks good. Add a matching bench....leg attachment.....$750 :eek: How many months at a gym would that buy.....lol

edit: looks like the weight posts are olympic only.....bummer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:53 pm 

jps wrote:
Looks good. Add a matching bench....leg attachment.....$750 :eek: How many months at a gym would that buy.....lol

edit: looks like the weight posts are olympic only.....bummer.

Roughly 17 months. SO it pays for itself by the time your hitting 405 for singles.

Oh wait, you didn't really want me to do math... God I'm a nerd.

I have to say, that is the best use of the :eek: i've seen so far. Humor my friend, humor

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next