ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:12 am 
Novice
Novice

I was curious if anybody knows of a decent place to get weightlifting shoes at any kind of discount. The page on exrx lists the VS Athletics at $50, but the best I can find online is $72. Otherwise, anybody have a pair of used shoes size 12-13 that are still useable? Thanks,

Shane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:09 am 
Novice
Novice

I read somewhere that chucks aren't recommended for things like full squats because the high top can restrict ROM, but how would mid or lowtop chucks work as a readily available alternative?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:05 am 
n00b
n00b

I went to a local department store and bought some low-top, flat-bottom, cheapy skater shoes. They cost less than $20 and they're fine. I've recommended them to some of the guys I train and they like 'em, too. As long as the bottoms are flat and they can lace up nice and tight, save your money and just get something cheap. Too many people are concerned with how the shoes 'looks.' Training is not a fashion show; wear what works.

I believe this topic has been discussed before. For more info, you may want to try the search function.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:10 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I've never had any problem doing full squats in Chuck Tailors. I don't think they restrict range of motion at all. Some lifters however may lack the flexibility to do full squats without a raised heel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:41 pm 
Novice
Novice

Matt, I don't think its my ankle flexibility that you saw being the issue in the video, it's my hips. I'm working on hamstring flexibility but I had Perthe's disease as a child and my right hip joint doesn't have the complete ROM that it should.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:48 pm 

I wasn't actually refering to the video in this instance, although I think you're right about your hips.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:05 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I was just looking for some shoes that might work for lifting. I was talking to a lady at Shoebacca.com, and she was trying to sell me on the flat-bottomed shoes for lifting in...the cheapo skate shoes you were talking about. However, I need a pair of shoes that can double as a walking around shoe also, as I'm not allowed several pairs of shoes here. I remembered having a pair of shoes at one point with a flat bottom that fitted almost like a sock, but was a lace-up made by k-swiss. they cost me 50 bucks, and they lasted me for years. The only thing that made me get rid of them was that as I was going on year 6 they started stinking so bad my partner wouldn't hold my feet to keep them form slipping on hack squats, so i figured I should get rid of them. I never found those same shoes again, but the Asics "Tai Chi's" are the same thing basically and I like the way they look. I don't know how they'll feel with free-weights but I just bought some today and I'll find out when they get here next week. I lift barefoot or in workboots right now, and surprisingly the workboots work great, and don't limit my range of motion during squats. What do you think about this as a lifting shoe?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:08 pm 

A lot of guys use boots to squat in. The heel helps them out.

I really like my Nike Frees.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:05 am 

I've never had an issue in the ankles with Chucks either.

Also love my Frees :smile:

I do heavy squats and DL's in chucks and wear Frees for everything else.

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:01 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I don't have Nike Frees, but I love this one!

http://www.myairshoes.com/wp-content/up ... es-toy.jpg

I have a pair of Columbia Hiking shoes that I bought for work as a Nurse, but it turned out Columbia make $h1t shoes so they are now my lifiting shoes due to the lack of cushioning in the soles! For sports like Basketball and Volleyball I wear basketball shoes, but for jogging etc I wear Brooks Dyad 5's, just got the Brooks on Monday and my feet have never felt so good! They cost me $210 Australian dollars thought! I think that's about $15 US at the moment! lol Actually it's about $160 USD, which is really expensive when you look at US websites, but then you add shipping and BAM, it's cheap!

Anyway...

John