ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Running faster
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:49 pm 
Here's my situation.

It is winter and I want to do some conditioning and speed workouts to get faster. Unfortunately, I am nowhere near any track or fieldhouse. All I have is a gym with weights, treadmils, and a basketball court.

What kind of excersises can I do to increase my speed? I can't do olympic lifts due to medical problems, and I'm already doing workout programs for my calves in particular.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:01 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Well, I would think you have all you need for short distances. Just run intervals on either the treadmill or on the BB court. For longer distances, the treadmill should work fine. However, for more sports specific information, go to http://www.athletes.com and go into their T and F section, or the sport you need speed for. You will find lots of articles on this subject, with training regimines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:39 am 
The first thing the members of athletes.com will tell you it to dump the direct calf work (trust me, I moderate the forum, Ive seen it a hundred times). Are you able to squat or deadlift? Those exercises are both great for the posterior chain along with iso-lateral work like lunges & step-ups.

As far as actually running, there's an exercise called "Hills on the Mills" as Houston Texans S&C coach Dan Riley calls them. For this exercise you crank the treadmill speed up to ~10 mph and the incline at 10+. You stand to the side of the treadmill as it is going, you then step out onto the tread WHILE HOLDING THE HANDRAIL, as soon as you are able to run on your own power with no assistance you release the handrail and run on your own for anywhere for 5 to 15 seconds, then you re-grab the handrail and step off to the side of the treadmill again. DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS UNTIL YOU ARE ADEPT AT GETTING ON AND OFF THE TREADMILL WHILE IT IS MOVING. THIS WILL TAKE PRACTICE. Start at a low speed and work at it until you are comfortable moving on to faster paces. This is actually the same basic exercise the athletes who use the Frappier Acceleration Sports Training program train with. Only thier Gen-II treadmill can achieve speeds of 28 mph and inclines up to 40 degrees.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:21 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have spondylolisthesis l1 s5, which means a disc in my lower back is out of position.

Squatting is absolutely out of the question. The last time I squatted was 4 years ago when I was 15 years old, and back then, I could do 200 pounds, 10 times. In terms of quad strength, I've been doing leg presses. For 1 rep, I can currently do 350 lbs. Unfortunately, my school's leg press machine is the flat horizontal one and my shoulders are the limiting factor when I do them.

I don't know about deadlifting. I'll have to talk to my doctor about it, but I don't think that type of stress is good for my back.

I also do 3 sets of 10 reverse hyperextensions on the leg curl machine. Those seem to work my ham strings well.

I thoroughly enjoy my calf workout program. I see no reason to take it out as I have rather skinny legs and I can feel and see growth in my calves from the program.

So all in all, I'm basically doing reverse hypers and my own bodyweight calf program. Specifically, what are some beginner plyometric excercises that I can do?

Post subject: warren
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:16 am 
DELETED

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]