ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:04 pm 

jps wrote:
As far as being a pansy..... :red:

I wouldn't worry about it. Take your time with your spine.

But if your still pulling 135 a year from now, you may want to reevaluate if your ready to push yourself or dump the movement.

I was very intimidated by the deadlift. Still sort of am. Just feels bad ass, so I keep doing it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 5:31 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Don't know what I was so afraid of......DL's felt great today. Wish I would have started them months ago. Really feel my hamstrings working....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 7:37 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

jps wrote:
Really feel my hamstrings working....

Worst DOMS I have felt yet.....almost 2 days later and still very sore. I should have taken it easy the first day...lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 7:07 pm 

jps wrote:
jps wrote:
Really feel my hamstrings working....

Worst DOMS I have felt yet.....almost 2 days later and still very sore. I should have taken it easy the first day...lol.

Ha ha. That's awesome.

Deads are great... Man they are great

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 7:23 pm 

Don't you work with your hands?

I bet you could build a suitable squat rack for like $100 out of wood that would last long enough to save up for a nice professional looking one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:37 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

nygmen wrote:
Don't you work with your hands?

I bet you could build a suitable squat rack for like $100 out of wood that would last long enough to save up for a nice professional looking one.

Sure do......I am a flooring contractor.....mostly tile and wood. I have been toying with a few ideas, and I think I can get something built, and it be very safe, for about $50. I would use a wall in my garage to help support this contraption, so it wouldn't have to be free standing. A couple 4X4's, a couple 2X4's and some pipe should do the trick. Now to find the time....my k-word is down to studs....lol...I am right smack in the middle of my k-word renovation. Yeah....I'm doing it all....except for the granite tops.

I have the funds for a new rack....but with the economy the way it is, and the way my business has slowed, I can't justify spending 400-700 on anything right now. Plus I am eyeballing a new bike...HD Rocker C...
:twisted:

I'll post a picture of my new squat rack :lol: when its done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 6:19 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Behold the Cheese-o-rama Squatinator 3000! lol Not bad for $40 in wood and pipe and a couple hours to put it together. I wasn't sure what design I would go with...I had a couple floating around in my head for a couple days. I went with the simple galvanized pipe in the 4X4....strong and easily removed. Pretty darn sturdy....and I will beef it up a bit more when I get more lumber to the house. I had 160 lbs on it today for shrugs and put my body weight on it as well....didn't budge or wobble! Seeing these pictures makes me want to clean my garage..lol. I'm in the middle of a major k-word remodel and I have tools and old appliances scattered everywhere.
And in the background of the second and third picture is my trusty coffee roaster! Anyone want to sample some truly specialty coffee? PM me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 6:27 pm 

BADASS!!!

Shoot, drill 4 holes, two pieces of pipe, and you'll be rack pulling 500lbs in no time.

Man, good stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:40 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Thanks bro....amazing how such a simple design is so strong. One thing I will add in the near future are some safety bars for squats. I have the pipe for that already.....then I can push harder and not be afraid of having to drop the bar behind me if I get pinned down. And then there are rack pulls....

Can't wait for Monday....it will be my first squat day with my new toy. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 12:35 am 

Wow. Are you in the coffee business? That's a monster roaster! I was expecting to see a little counter-top roaster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 7:06 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Jungledoc wrote:
Wow. Are you in the coffee business? That's a monster roaster! I was expecting to see a little counter-top roaster.

That's a 2 kilo roaster....very small by commercial standards....nice first roaster though. This all started as a hobby, roasting on an a hand cranked popcorn popper, then a super modified gas grill with a drum, and now this. When things get busy, I will invest in a 10 kilo which has quite a larger footprint than what you see here. I think fresh roasted coffee is great.....so did family....so did friends. I started selling and now keep a stock of about 600 lbs of green coffee...lol. I will have a website soon, and hopefully business will do well enough that I can turn in my knee pads and trowels!

Coffee is food!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:08 am 

jps wrote:
Coffee is food!

Indeed! Coffee is life.

PNG produces lots of fine green coffee, but there are very few roasters within the country. There is only 1 roast available that I care to drink regularly. I'm enjoying the variety while I'm in the US.

(Excuse me, I need to take a sip [slurp] of this stuff my friend Ralph just brewed for me.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:18 am 

Suggestion on the rack--add "safety pins" across the sides where you could dump the bar if you lost your balance, or couldn't get up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 5:33 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Jungledoc wrote:
Suggestion on the rack--add "safety pins" across the sides where you could dump the bar if you lost your balance, or couldn't get up.

Yes...this is the plan. I mentioned it a couple of posts up.

And PNG does have some very nice coffee! It is on the top of the list when I expand my offerings...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:01 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Dude, Black Album is a killer lifting album! Killer album in general! Just got Guitar Hero Metallica and I'm very annoyed that I can't play the damn thing on hard yet I can play all their songs on a real guitar lol! I think for tonight's session I may need to follow your lead and crank the black!

John

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next