ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:51 pm 
Novice
Novice

ok so summers officially here tmr after my last two exams.... i wanna get bigger before skoo starts again ... just want a new look for university and all..... as i go to the gym everyday [split] im thinking mayb mcdonals everyday + protein shake? or m i thinking it wrong.... what is the quickest way?

p.s : i wanna keep my six pack ish :P [ish coz im still working on the lower abs] and i have high metabolism

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:57 pm 

mcdonalds? :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:25 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

fastest way to get BIG? Steriods. if you can get your hands on some, that is.

Lets assume you won't use steroids. maybe a routine with sets and reps geared toward total hypertrophy? split workout? i dunno. i doubt 2-3 months will make you as big as you want, but it's worth a shot. and McDonald's every day? there's healthier food out there, plus if you don't end up burning the calories you're gonna get FAT really fast. say goodbye to your six pack-ish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:28 pm 

frankie,

max-ot routine is designed to put on lbs of lean muscle. you can find it all over the place. if need be, post your email and i'll email you a pdf of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:15 pm 
Novice
Novice

alright thx alot my email is fc_hk@hotmail.com thx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:39 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Years back. I saw alot of 190 lb wannabe football players add 20 lbs over the summer. They sqatted heav,y did the OL's (but Deadkifts will definately substitute), and presses heavy. Most did full body, but upper lower split worked. The key though, was they ate heavy and did not worry about getting fat.It depends on your goals. If you're worried about geting fat, a hard all out bulk up isn't for you. Eat lots of everything, work hard and heavy, and take long breaks, including work out days. You grow while recuperating, NOT while in the gym.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:27 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Bad news, folks. Don't over-do it.

http://www.healthzone.ca/health/article/647122

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:40 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

if im in a hunter-gatherer society and have big guns, im sure it would help me, take down animals build shelters etc.

Theres allot to that article that makes me wonder, Just how big were the people in this study?

Also thier testosterone levels are high because they work out. Once they rest, their immune system is back to normal if not better. Since body builders eat more, which means more nutrients.

Also if Food was in short supply then they would last longer than skin and bones. Since the body will have more Fat and more protein to use as fuel. But yea of course, muscle burns more cals than fat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:14 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That was total sensationalism. They didn't seem to have it locked down to what exactly caused the immune problems. Was it more test, bigger muscles, less fat, a combination? How big, ripped or amount of test? Were they on steroids? If so which? Dosage? cycle? cycle history? A control group? Some actual numbers or concrete information? Also the facts about hunter gathers, evolution and famine scenarios are both red herrings and non-sequiturs.

My immune system is as good as ever. technically this is an anecdote, but that article was about as meaningless, so I figured what the hell.

I do seem to remember a link between low body fat and immune problems though. See how an unisolated variable can completely ruin something?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:15 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You know what else is funny, the fact that there are studies showing older men having health problems when their test levels get low and how health improves as it increases.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:48 am 

That was a bad article. There are many studies that suggest that having a surplus of muscle as you grow older will provide a buffer, or reserve for a number of functions, including organ health and mobility.

Bodybuilding, like any competitive endevour, will encourage participants to explore the envelope of what is healthy, and sometimes will go beyond. That doesn't mean that there are not heathly attributes from that sport, or from others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:48 am 

This summary didn't say what was used to measure "immune function". Total white blood cell count doesn't tell you anything about the quality of the immune function. The last paragraph implies that the lead author is an evolutionary psychologist. That hardly makes him an expert on the immune system!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:45 am 

That article is ridiculous. The immune deficiency's aren't really explained at all, and it seems to have a biased agenda towards men with muscle. I wonder who wrote it...lol.

It's like telling woman that being thin wasn't good either in hunter gatherer societies because they might get sacrificed to the corn gods unwillingly (ok, so that is a really good reason to be thin. But you know what I mean).

Sometimes need to take a step back and realize that even IF that article was true...sometimes its quality over quantity (with how long you live I mean). If being a lazy slob somehow adds 5 years to my life (seems almost contradictory, but hey, that's what I take from that article), I don't even want them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:43 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Does anyone know where the actual study is? It sounds like from http://www.infoniac.com/science/muscle- ... ystem.html that the study is not attempting to factor in exercise at all - the wording almost seems to imply it's trying to eliminate exercise as a variable, and focus only on the muscle mass differences caused by genetic variance in testosterone.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:31 pm 

frankie123 wrote:
ok so summers officially here tmr after my last two exams.... i wanna get bigger before skoo starts again ... just want a new look for university and all..... as i go to the gym everyday [split] im thinking mayb mcdonals everyday + protein shake? or m i thinking it wrong.... what is the quickest way?

p.s : i wanna keep my six pack ish :P [ish coz im still working on the lower abs] and i have high metabolism

Like Tim said, your going to have to go heavy and hard at the weights, and eat like a Bull Moose. If you try and keep your abs you won't gain as fast, not that there is anything wrong with that. But, I'm certainly pushing 20%ish these days (estimated so I could be wrong) and can still see my abs. Plus losing fat is easy, gaining lean muscle is hard.

Squat deep and heavy
Pull from the floor so the veins in your neck bulge
push around everything you can
chin until your back screams
etc...

Keep your program simple, intense & progressive

And I'll be the first to admit I'll eat fast food for a cheat meal. 1,500 calories, 90+ grams of protein and I can eat again in an hour and a half sounds like a plan. But don't eat that everyday or you'll never see an ab again.