ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:09 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

i am a Scot through and through: How do you improve a pizza? Deep fry it! What about a Mars? Deep fry it! And what about a haggis? Deep fry it!

I consider myself a gastronomic ambassador for my country.

Ain't never had a haggis pakora though! I can't believe they exist and i didn't know...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:26 am 

robertscott wrote:
i am a Scot through and through: How do you improve a pizza? Deep fry it! What about a Mars? Deep fry it! And what about a haggis? Deep fry it!

I consider myself a gastronomic ambassador for my country.

Ain't never had a haggis pakora though! I can't believe they exist and i didn't know...

My god, you don't know what you're missing. If you like haggis you'll love haggis pakora. You normally get them in pub/restaurants, and normally served with a sweet chilli sauce. Loads of pub/restaurants down my way (in the country!) but you might struggle for them in the city. Anywhere that does a good steak pie generally does a good haggis pakora. I don't know who started it but they deserve a nobel prize or something.

(i wonder what the macro break down for haggis is? How would they work it out? I don't even think Scots know what's in haggis)

Didn't scots deep fry ice cream, too? We're really quite an innovative country lol. Not sure if we came up with it but you can deffinitly get it. Also something i've never tried.

My main 'fried' weakness is fryups (fried breakfasts). The place I get them is amazing, you pick how many items you want (i get 12), and you just pick what you want from the list, which is good, 'cause it means I get loads of eggs. Not quite as bad as deep fried mars bars n stuff but, it's one thing i've never lost my craving for.

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:41 am 

OK. I'll admit my ignorance. What's haggis? What's haggis pakora?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:07 am 

Jungledoc wrote:

hmmm... Explaining Haggis is actually quite difficult. So, in an effort to be clear, I googled it, and the first paragraph on Wiki actually sums it up nicely.

"Haggis is a traditional Scottish dish. There are many recipes, most of which have in common the following ingredients: sheep's 'pluck' (heart, liver and lungs), minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices, and salt, mixed with stock, and traditionally boiled in the animal's stomach for approximately three hours."

Hungry?

See what I mean when I said the Scots were innovative. I mean, who else could of came up with that?

When I was younger I liked haggis. When I found out how it was made and what was in it, I hated it and never ate it for years. But I re-acquired the taste and love it. It's kind of like sausage, if I were to compare it to anything, but, um, normally more of a kick to it. It's good. It's like a cross between sausage and black pudding (you might not know what that is either though?) in taste.

Pakora is an indian dish. They take vegetables or a small bit of chicken or something and put a batter around them and then, wait for it - you guessed it, deep fry them. no wonder the scots like it so much. As a blend of cultures, you now get Haggis Pakora, which is the 2 above Delicacies combined. Haggis, wrapped in batter and deep fried.

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:23 pm 

Jungledoc wrote:

What's haggis? Never have i been so shocked by anything in all my days, you'd love it Doc I'm sure, I don't think anywhere really makes it in the traditional way anymore although there's probably a backward, kilt wearing Scot in the country somewhere who does.

And if you've never heard of black pudding you'll probably be equally as horrified to find out what's in that.

Can't believe haggis pakora exists and I've never had it. I've hardly lived.