It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:44 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Saw this on another site, Bryce Lane.'s
(Boss B s the screen name)
http://p069.ezboard.com/ftheironworksfrm7
in the thread "just Startin Out". Interesting, because we throw the terms around about building a foundation, build up work capaity, but what really are we talking about?
Anyway, tks to Bryce and tjdin, I think this pretty well sums it up

Start Quote
Copied from an HGRT posting by Dave Maurice:

What is a foundation?

1) Mastery of form on all the big lifts.
2) A base of conditioning. This might be decided in terms of being able to move briskly through a workout, in being able to play some game (basketball, soccer) for some time without ollapsing, or even in terms of performance of some endurance type activity.
3) A decent level of flexibility.
4) Having your out-of-the-gym variables down to habit. Diet and sleep - it isn't enough to know what you should do, you must do and do consistently.
5) Discipline to maintain control and form when a set becomes very hard.
6) No big strength/development discrepancies. Squats and deads well above bench, chins and rows on a par with bench, and so on.
7) The ability to push a set of ANY and ALL of the big lifts to the limit.
8 ) Substantial size and strength improvements from your starting point. That level will vary between people.

This seems vague and specific enough to be useful, when you think about what he's saying. I think he is specifically answering the question ,"when do I get to do advanced stuff?" So maybe a little of target here.

Ted

BossB

Union Goon
End Quote

Ed note-I stickied this for the novice types
but feel free to comment, reply etc.
Tim

Last edited by TimD on Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:59 am 

just to let you know tim there is a typo in the sticky title. staring instead of starting.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:17 pm 
former lurker

I've just started going to the gym, its been about 3 months, and I'm just wondering what the best program is for me. I've been going with my buddy and we are going everyday...Chest/Tri's...Back/Bi's...Shoulders.. then Legs. And we keep going through this cycle. I think that it might be too much. I'd also like to know when I should start to see visible definition. I'm also unsure about how much cardio I should be doing. I am currently 5'11" 195lbs. I'm concerned mostly with trying to add some muscle mass and definition. Thanks for any help you can give

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:36 pm 

Rockymyvia wrote:
I've just started going to the gym, its been about 3 months, and I'm just wondering what the best program is for me. I've been going with my buddy and we are going everyday...Chest/Tri's...Back/Bi's...Shoulders.. then Legs. And we keep going through this cycle. I think that it might be too much. I'd also like to know when I should start to see visible definition. I'm also unsure about how much cardio I should be doing. I am currently 5'11" 195lbs. I'm concerned mostly with trying to add some muscle mass and definition. Thanks for any help you can give

The first step in getting bigger is getting stronger. For this reason you should look at "Starting Strength". Cardio is not that important but a couple of 1/2 hour sessions a week is not going to hurt. There is more to health and fitness than getting big and this will help. Long slow sessions help as well, mostly as stress relievers. This should be something enjoyable. Hikes in the woods, bicycling, skating, skiing, surfing, etc are all favourites in my house.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:23 am 
n00b
n00b

Look at this and pick one :http://exrx.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3817

This is the basic explanation and for me is working starting strenght

which is here: startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ

If you do everyday you overtrain and thats no good!!

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:36 pm 
n00b
n00b

I've been an on again/off again lifter and am picking up lifting again. I'm coming up on 54 and know I can't do what I used to do. About 8 months ago I messed up my back doing squats and am very wary of doing that again.

What I'm wondering is whether there is a way of determining my body type and deficiencies so that I can start again the right way, by working on my weak parts first so that I don't injure myself again. I can do some research on my own, but think that a trained pro might be able to observe me as tell what I need to work on first.

Any suggestions? Should I see an exercise pro, or who?

Thanks,

Ted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 2:30 am 
n00b
n00b

In my opinion you should start slowly as everyone else. Start the basics and then move on. You used too much weight on your back and done more "good morning " than squat. Use the links I have posted to read some interesting advice! These are the pros!!

Good luck

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:07 am 
n00b
n00b

In the 'what's a foundation?' response in this thread, item 6 is:

No big strength/development discrepancies. Squats and deads well above bench, chins and rows on a par with bench, and so on.

Well, I'm just starting out and I am pretty sure I bench more that I can squat or deadlift. I'm relatively fit from years of running, but think my legs and back are too weak. I posted elsewhere here about this same idea (strength standards). I may lay off running for the summer and switch to bicycling and then work to develop consistency in my lifting. I suspect I should focus on squats, deadlifts, lunges, etc without totally excluding bench or presses. Does this make sense?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:28 am 

Yes it makes sense. Many runners don't train legs because they think they are already doing enough when in fact, they are weak and injury prone without realizing it. Squats and deadlifts will also bring your core into balance. You can't help building a strong mid-section if you build up your squat and deadlift. Instead of switching completely to cycling, you may want to mix it up. Cyclists have poor bone development due to the non-impact aspect of the sport. If you don't have to specialize, you will always be better off doing a variety of activities.