ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: You don't need gloves
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:30 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Actually the only time I need gloves are the first two sets of Deadlifting. If I gripped bare handed throughout, my hand would be too sore for my last set.

The last time I was getting my gloves, I didn't have them. Either lost them or somebody took them. So I took some tissue paper, folded them up into narrow strips wide enough to fit at the base on my fingers covering my callouses and voila - perfect.

With gloves, although it would cushion the callouses, I did have difficulty gripping, because my fingers wouldn't curl as much as without gloves. But the tissue paper worked better than gloves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:39 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I don't think you need gloves either. You still get callouses with them anyway, you need to buy new one's every few months or so, and they make the bar thicker and therefore more difficult to grip.

Embrace your callouses. And use chalk if you can. Callouses rip from the bar slipping. With chalk there's much less chance of that happening.

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:56 am 

why would you want to cover your callouses? Surely it's a good thing to get them so your hands don't hurt in future

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:45 am 

Sounds like a potentially good chalk substitute.

As for gloves, KPj, they don't make the bar that much more difficult to hold, and it's easier if to hold if they're what convinces you to grip it hard. Plus I've gone through two pairs of gloves in like 6 years of training. I'd still be on the first pair if I hadn't accidentaly washed them, which wrecked them faster than any deadlifts ever could.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:52 am 

Yeah but, every millimetre (if bar thickness) counts!

I used to have to change gloves every 6 months or so. They would always end up quite destroyed, and that was when i first started training (like an idiot) and didn't do deadlifts...

Guess I just bought crap quality gloves :roll:

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:00 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Without gloves my hands hurt after lifting. Then I also build up callouses that are very big, thick and rough. I don't like my hands being all fv(Ked up like that. I even prefer the longer finger length so I don't get them on my fingers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:07 am 

Allowing the calluses to build up will lead to tearing. The dry skin on top of the calluses is where the tears start. The tough base of the callus builds up to protect the underlying skin. Keep the dead skin pared down with a pumice stone, or file.

Honestly, the tissue paper thing sounds really funny to me. Just the idea of doing a big heavy lift like the DL, but needing tissue to protect your hands seems ironic.

Here's an article:
http://www.gripfaq.com/Hand_Health/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:23 am 

That's quite a good article.

For me, callouses only build up to a certain level then just stay the same - and get quite smooth. I only rip them when the bar slips and that doesn't happen very much. If I increase the amount of pulling or general grip intensive stuff I do see a difference but, it's only temporary.

The only pain I ever experience in my hands is fatigue. I play the piano, though, and playing up to 2-3 days after heavy pulling is a task, severe lactic acid build up, really intense, especially in the forearms.

I quite like the idea of 'active recovery' for the hands as per that article. I've never thought about that....

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:59 am 

I don't see why people are so anti-gloves. I love my pair. We wear protection for every other part of our bodies. Why not our hands?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:08 am 

I don't see why people are so Pro Gloves :lol:

We don't really wear protection anywhere else. Workout clothes generally just cover you up. Footwear is the same. Unless you're wearing steel toe capped boots, then you're footwear doesn't protect your feet. Drop a 20kg disc on your foot next time you're in the gym and tell me how protected your foot was!

Sorry, but it's just a classic thing that get's said to me when I DL or warm up barefoot - "The Protection thing".

I guess i feel strongly about it because for about the first 2 years of my training, I used gloves. I loved them when I used them, and just didn't feel right when I forgot them. The last 2 years i've not used them though and easily prefer going without.

It's a very minor issue though, just do what you're comfortable doing.

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:20 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Originally I used to use "weightlifting" gloves, but they were sort of awkward, with a lot of padding on the base of the fingers. About a year ago I bought a pair of Under Armor batting gloves which I like, which are much thinner. They were cheaper too, oddly enough considering how pricey UA stuff usually is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:34 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

robertscott wrote:
why would you want to cover your callouses? Surely it's a good thing to get them so your hands don't hurt in future

Without protection, the bar tends to push the calluses towards the fingers. Then end up looking puckered with sharp edges on top.

pdellorto wrote:
….As for gloves, KPj, they don't make the bar that much more difficult to hold, and it's easier if to hold if they're what convinces you to grip it hard. ….

When you’re tired, it’s hard enough to keep your fingers curled. Wearing gloves you have to curl the leather too.

Ever driven with ski gloves on? You hand gets pretty tired just maintaining a good grip on the steering wheel because most of its strength is used fighting the gloves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:25 pm 

KPj wrote:

We don't really wear protection anywhere else.

Yeah, really. It's not like we wear gloves when we do construction work, or gardening, or lawn work, or golf, or play baseball, or when it's cold out or when we pull weeds or have to grasp heavy, sharp, or hard-to-hold objects. Oh, wait...

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:04 am 

I think he was talking about "during weight lifting."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:58 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

KPj wrote:

We don't really wear protection anywhere else. Workout clothes generally just cover you up. Footwear is the same. Unless you're wearing steel toe capped boots, then you're footwear doesn't protect your feet. Drop a 20kg disc on your foot next time you're in the gym and tell me how protected your foot was!

Sorry, but it's just a classic thing that get's said to me when I DL or warm up barefoot - "The Protection thing".

I guess i feel strongly about it because for about the first 2 years of my training, I used gloves. I loved them when I used them, and just didn't feel right when I forgot them. The last 2 years i've not used them though and easily prefer going without.

It's a very minor issue though, just do what you're comfortable doing.

KPj

The flaw with that reasoning is that we don't lift weights with other parts of our bodies. A logical reason would be personal preference, or that it doesn't seem to affect your hands.

With your reasoning, that would be like saying you don't use condoms because nobody wraps their entire body in latex. Rather than just saying it's because you're in a monogamous relationship.