ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:41 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Has anyone done lunges as a hamstring exercise? The reason why I ask is I'm planning to change my routine soon, and I'm looking for a replacement for the Romanian Deadlift. Some sites (for example, this one) lists lunges as a hamstring exercise, yet EXRX calls it a quad/glute exercise. According to it, the hamstrings are dynamic stabilizers, not a target or synergist of the exercise.

I've done lunges in workouts before, but only towards the end. Is it a prime-time player?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:06 pm 
Supposedly performing lunges with a longer stride emphasizes hamstrings more, while a shorter stride emphasizes quads.

I would definitely consider lunges an auxiliary exercise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:39 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Why not do strait leg deadlifts instead?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:49 am 

GHR are a great substitute if you have access.

If not, snatch grip deadlifts are a great way to build a lot of strength off the floor for regular deadlifts and also hit the glutes/hams a lot and build good flexibility.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:27 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Hi Stephen. Lunges, all varieties, stationary, walking, etc are great for hams, IF you get the big stretch. Alsoterrific for the quads,/glutes/hips. Kind of hits the whole area in a way the squats, Deads don't. I would definately include them.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:29 am 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Ryan A wrote:

I don't. Glute-Hamstring apparatus are rare in health clubs. Too bad.

Ryan A wrote:
If not, snatch grip deadlifts are a great way to build a lot of strength off the floor for regular deadlifts and also hit the glutes/hams a lot and build good flexibility.

You might be onto something:

Quote:
If I had to choose only one strength training exercise to improve a player's 40 yard dash time, I would pick snatch grip deadlifts because they work the entire posterior chain (lower back and hamstrings). Snatch grip deadlifts are a bit different than your traditional deadlift in that they recruit more of the hamstrings due to the angle of the trunk and a wider grip.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'm leaning towards changing my leg routine to step-ups, walking lunges and perhaps a couple of sets of speed snatch-grip deadlifts off a block at the end. The weights that I use for legs will have to go down, but I'll have a chance to improve my balance and flexibility

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 8:11 am 
former lurker

Lunges can be considered a quad dominant or a hip dominant movement depending on how you perform them. Try slideboard lunges with the front leg on the floor and the back leg on the slideboard. Pull the back leg toward the front. This will target glute and hamstring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:17 am 
Ryan A wrote:

Cool! I was actually looking for a regular deadlift substitute for a little while. Are these performed the same but just with a much wider grip??? Or is the whole setup different? Do you use a significantly lighter load while doing these???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 11:23 am 

Wider grip, how wide I am not sure; do what feels best.

The setup is similar but you should find yourself having to sit down a lot farther than a deadlift and it should almost feel like a squat in terms of depth.

Now the difference between this and the squat is that you have the weight more in front of you so it really gets the whole posterior chain.

If this is too easy, you can stand on a 2-4inch box to add depth.

The weight should be lighter than your regular deadlift, especially when starting out but you can progress to pretty heavy weights (double bodyweight area for a few reps).

Hope that helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 1:26 pm 
Thanks, im really looking forward to giving it a go! Ive been making big gains on the regular deadlift, but this last week was the first week i wasnt able to go up as much in weight as i have been. So im looking to switch over to a variation before i plateau. This sounds perfect. Especially since you said improves strength off the floor, which would be my weak point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 11:11 am 
Stephen Johnson wrote:
Ryan A wrote:

I don't. Glute-Hamstring apparatus are rare in health clubs. Too bad.

You could always lock your feet under a railing or machine, put a towel under your knees and perform manual GHR's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 2:13 pm 
First impression of snatch grip deads is so so, only because i had some definite grip issues. Im sure its something i'll get past though, as i used to have grip problems with the regular dead too at first but my grip got stronger pretty quickly. I probably had my hands a little too wide as well. I just threw in a couple sets of SLDLs to make sure my hamstrings/lower back got enough work..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 9:55 pm 

Yes, grip can be a problem. I usually hook grip if I am doing higher rep sets OR sometimes even use straps.

It depends.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:07 am 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

I've been doing lunges/step ups/snatch grip deadlifts for my leg routine over that last couple of months, with good result. I'll go back to a more conventional routine (squats, Romanian deadlifts) next week. Thanks for the feedback

Post subject: new haven connecticut
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:59 am 
new haven connecticut
broadcasting
cushion
secure digital
razors
backpackers
blowers
endangered species
keyless
goldfish
panasonic digital camera
drum sets
virgin islands
osha
golf bags
mac g4
rucksack
investor
house for rent
online booking
virenscanner
carports
eterna
discount dvds
stockage
backups
rare books
holy bible
mr coffee
deuren

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next