ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:19 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

An English tabloid paper published the following advice on losing weight today. I had to post it (after I stopped laughing 30 mins later!)

No wonder the U.K. population is turning into fat 8A$7ARD$ if they believe this $H17E works! Read on...and be amazed! :green:

25 WONDER WAYS TO LOSE WEIGHT (WITHOUT REALLY TRYING)
ABOVE: Lose weight by brushing your teeth 17th June 2009 By James MooreWORRIED about shedding some flab before hitting the beach this summer, but cannot be bothered to go on a gruelling fitness regime?

Then read our simple ways to lose weight without trying too hard.

A recent study by the University of California showed that diets can be harmful, with two-thirds of dieters piling the weight straight back on.

So if the whole idea of following slimming fads or complicated fitness programmes makes you feel like comforting yourself with another burger, then our fantastic new guide is here to help.

Here, JAMES MOORE has put together 25 ways to help trim the fat by making small lifestyle changes...

GET THE BLUES

INVEST in a blue tablecloth or paint your k-word that colour. Feeling blue could be good for your waistline, according to psychologists.

They've discovered that the colour curbs our appetite because there are very few foods in the wild that are blue.

TALK & WALK

GET a cordless phone and while you chat to your friends or family, walk around the house.

Experts reckon that being active for just five minutes every hour could help you lose a whopping 10lb in a year.

THE FLASH DIET

NEVER mind the crash diet, try the f ash diet where you lose weight by taking snaps of your food.

A scientific study found that slimmers who kept a food diary and took photos of their meals were more likely to stick to their plan to lose weight. The evidence of those calorie-laden treats makes them feel guilty and stop bingeing.

EAT EGGS

BY eating a food like eggs, you will be stocking up on the B vitamin biotin found in the yolks, which helps your body burn fat.

Eating one egg a day is enough to get the benefit.

Eating them for breakfast could be especially good as studies have shown that adding an extra 10% of protein to your breakfast can make you feel fuller throughout the day.

LOVE YOUR DAIRY

THE calcium in dairy products binds to fat and helps remove it from your body.

US researchers found that just one cup of milk or a thumb-sized piece of cheese a day was enough to make a difference to weight loss.

STEP UP TO THE PLATE

WHEN we're presented with a plate of food we tend to eat it all, so downsize those dinner plates and you'll eat - and weigh - less.

Scientists have found that we eat 22% more with bigger plates until we realise that we're full.

LOOK SOUPER

EATING soup as a starter can reduce the number of calories you eat in a meal by up to 300 - that's the same as running for half an hour. Soup takes up more surface area in your stomach, making you feel fuller.

Studies show that vegetable soup is the best option.

SWITCH YOUR CUPPA

YOUR morning coffee could be keeping you fat. One study showed that a large latte could contain a third of the recommended fat intake.

Stick to semi-skimmed milk rather than full fat and avoid extras like whipped cream. It can add the same number of calories to your drink as eating a small packet of crisps.

DON'T BE DIM

IT might put paid to that romantic dinner but cut the mood lighting if you want to get slimmer.

Research reveals that the darker the room, the more you have the urge to indulge in unhealthy foods.

Keep your k-word bright too so that you're not tempted to snack.

GO NUTTY

NUTS and seeds will help stabilise your blood sugar levels, making you less likely to reach for less healthy snacks.

They also contain chromium which helps reduce sugar in your body and prevents it being turned to fat.

EAT THREE SQUARE MEALS

IF you don't eat regularly throughout the day, your body produces a hormone called grelin which tells your brain to load up with unhealthy, calorie-packed foods.

Eat some sardines on toast too. Oily fish like this, containing Omega-3 fatty acids, combined with moderate exercise can help you lose weight.

ICE IDEA

WITH summer here, adding ice to drinks is not only a cool way to enjoy your drinks, it will also make you quaff less, without noticing.

A cold drink can also help you burn off as much as 100 calories - half a pint of beer - because your body has to work harder to warm the water inside.

KNIFE ONE SON

ACTRESS Liz Hurley, 44, has used children's cutlery to trick herself into eating less.

Another great tip is to eat more slowly with your cutlery.

Your brain needs to time to know its full, so put your knife and fork down between each bite to stop yourself wolfing down your meal.

Chewing your food very slowly, like Madonna, 50, can also help reduce your intake by 70 calories.

BANISH A BISCUIT

DO you always eat a choccy biscuit on your tea break?

Ditching it could turn the tide against obesity.

Researchers at the University of Colorado found that eating just 100 fewer calories a day could help control your weight.

JUST THINK ABOUT EXERCISING

AMAZING, but true - just thinking you are exercising can help you become thinner, psychologists say.

Researchers at Harvard University found that people who believe that their active jobs are helping them to lose weight actually do lose more compared to those who don't realise the benefits.

DO LESS OF A WORKOUT

DOING just six minutes of intensive exercise a week like cycling can be as effective as longer, less intense, workouts, say Canadian researchers.

Go for a simple 10-minute walk after dinner and you'll lose extra weight because your body burns calories 30% faster just after you've eaten.

EAT RIGHT

AVOID shopping at the supermarket when you are hungry. Experts reckon that it makes us buy more food.

Try to have your dinner no later than 7.30pm so that you get a chance to burn off the calories from your supper.

Don't eat out so much either - a study by Georgia State University found that eating with friends boosted food consumption by a whopping 76%.

SPEND MORE TIME IN BED

SLEEPING longer can help keep you trimmer.

Scientists at the US National Institute of Mental Health found that an extra hour in bed may help with weight loss. This is thanks to a chemical called leptin - released when we have a kip - that helps controls body fat.

ENJOY THE HEAT

THE summer sunshine can help you lose weight because your heart is pumping 10% faster to cool you down, meaning that you could burn 240 calories more a day. That's half a burger.

Sunshine also makes people want more sex because it boosts testosterone levels.

Sex burns off 300 calories an hour.

BRUSH YOUR TEETH

GET your toothbrush out after every meal. The minty taste of toothpaste will alert your brain that the meal is now over - and it will make sure you don't end up loading up with fatty desserts and snacks.

EAT PINEAPPLE

THE tangy fruit contains a substance called bromelain which is believed to help banish cellulite and help your tummy look trimmer by helping your body to absorb nutrients better.

VEG OUT

ACTRESS Katie Holmes, 30, lost weight with a veg only diet and a study led by Pennsylvania State University researchers showed that people who ate veg consumed 511 fewer calories a day. You'd have to walk for nearly an hour and a half to get the same benefit.

GET A PEDOMETER

USE a pedometer while you walk and you will end up using more than 2,000 extra steps a day on average, which will help you get rid of the flab.

LAUGH LINES A LOSER

HAVING a belly laugh can use the same amount of energy as walking more than half a mile, according to American researchers.

CURRY FAVOUR

BRAZILIAN beauty Gisele B√ľndchen, 28, swears by fiery red chillies to keep her in shape.

Studies show that eating foods with chillies in can help boost your metabolism by up to 20%, meaning you'll burn more calories.

Rik

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:32 pm 

Some of that stuff isn't half bad...I'm not saying I agree with all of it, but there's nothing wrong with taking small steps in your daily routine of activities and food. If you do some of the stuff on top of a good exercise program, it probably would help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:48 pm 

I agree, Some of the info is actually pretty good. The Logic behind some of the advice is not that good though..

Quote:
EAT EGGS

BY eating a food like eggs, you will be stocking up on the B vitamin biotin found in the yolks, which helps your body burn fat.

Eating one egg a day is enough to get the benefit.

Eating them for breakfast could be especially good as studies have shown that adding an extra 10% of protein to your breakfast can make you feel fuller throughout the day.

I don't know about the "B" Vitamin bit, but eating Eggs Are good.... And they do keep me fuller compared to a High Carb (Cereal and Milk Only) Breakfast...

Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:25 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yea, their logic is very flawed. It's piece of journalism a more respectable publication would be embarrassed of....at least we would hope.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:13 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

eat slower to loose weight lol i see how it could help but thats what im doing to gain weight.

I can sometimes take up to 45min to eat a full meal. And im not even full after. Oh and its a BIG meal! 1.5 lbs of ground beef yeah!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:14 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I do agree that a few of them are not too bad. It's the others that are a hoot!

Problem is that the majority of people wont be prepared to change their habits, rather they would go with a blue table cloth and expect it to work.

It's like a girl I know was talking about weight loss and the conversation got around to taking fish oil and excise to lose weight. She rushed out and purchased bottles of the stuff and began swallowing. A few weeks later she reported she'd been puking pure fish oil for day's! Unfortunatley no fat loss! She thought running to the toilet was enough activity! Class!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:00 pm 
n00b
n00b

This is like trying to explain about load and no load mutual funds to people WHO DON'T EVEN SAVE!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:59 pm 

Rik-Blades wrote:
I do agree that a few of them are not too bad. It's the others that are a hoot!

Problem is that the majority of people wont be prepared to change their habits, rather they would go with a blue table cloth and expect it to work.

It's like a girl I know was talking about weight loss and the conversation got around to taking fish oil and excise to lose weight. She rushed out and purchased bottles of the stuff and began swallowing. A few weeks later she reported she'd been puking pure fish oil for day's! Unfortunatley no fat loss! She thought running to the toilet was enough activity! Class!

LOL I can see this. People often hear something on different subjects (nutrition for example) and once they hear about it they treat it as religious dogma and take it too extremes. Just as bad as those who don't give a damn in my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:02 pm 

scholt64 wrote:
This is like trying to explain about load and no load mutual funds to people WHO DON'T EVEN SAVE!

Hey now...I don't have mutual funds or save and I am a good person :wink: :green:.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:32 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

"Sex burns off 300 calories an hour."

That's actually my favorite kind of cardio. :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:19 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Matt Z wrote:
"Sex burns off 300 calories an hour."

That's actually my favorite kind of cardio. :-)

Now, if my local fitness center started offering THOSE sort of cardio classes.... :green: