ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 7:56 pm 
im trying to put on muscle i eat 6 meals a day 2000-2500 calories roughly and i wanted to know if a weight gainer would help me add muscle i cant really eat lots because im so use to the small meals

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 12:25 am 
I am going to geuss you are thin. Have some dextrose or something of that sort with your whey. Have plenty of fruit, nuts and cheese as well. Plenty of red meat too. You need high protein and plenty of carbs around workout time. Don't eat the carbs at the end of the day though. Nuts and cheese can help get your calories up. If you eat small, eat more often. Try eating 8 times a day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 12:39 am 
6 meals is really good im satified but adding more meals would probably be to much food for my body to handle and what do u mean by dextrose? is that like a simple carb drink like gatorade with whey. i mean a weight gainer could give me some extra calories

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 1:32 am 

Well if you are satisfied then why ar eyou looking to gain weight?

Gaining and losing weight isnt easy, you have to make sacrifices.

If you want to gain weight, you will need to eat more. If you dont, you will likely stay thinner. A weight gainer is going to make you full so it will be similar to adding another meal, the difference is the weight gainer is expensive and the food cheap.

Someone who is overweight is used to eating junk, but does that mean he can keep on eating junk and lose weight? No. Same thing applies here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 1:13 pm 
im satisfied with 6 meals i want to add more muscle thats all and weight gainer is almost like buy whey powder i dont find it expensive at all

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 1:43 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD

A true "gainer" is only about 20-25% Protein. It's usually full of all kinds of carb and fat additives to get the calorie count up. If you're satisfied with 6 meals,then make them a bit larger. If you must do shakes, then try adding in some protein powder to milk. Worked great for the old timers, and didn't really drain their wallets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 10:11 pm 
Weight gainers don't give you anything other then the calories. The extra crap in there doesn't do anything. Eat some havarti cheese, 120 calories an ounce, and macadamia nuts 220 calories in a 1/4 cup. Have a banana and some peanut butter, whey shake and some kind of sports drink with with lots of simple carbs. Why simple carbs for you? You don't have much in the way of fat stores, so the energy has to come from somewhere.

Let's say you add a slice of havarti and a serving of macadamias to every meal, that is an extra 1340 calories a day. Plus your normal diet, a banana, another peice of fruit or 2, the whey and a serving of peanut butter..... Just lift hard and you will gain as fast as your body can go.

That is an overkill example though really. Just add the cheese and nuts to half your meals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 4:58 pm 
ty ironman i got one question since i use or drink skim milk would it better to switch to 2 percent milk or homo milk for extra calories

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:05 pm 
Yea, whole milk is good for your goals. Mix the whey into a big glass of it. Like maybe a quart if you can handle that. Something like dextrose would be better, but lactose should get the job done. It makes cows grow. No homo milk though unless you swing that way. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:48 pm 

Whole milk is definately the way to go if you are trying to get larger. The fats are what increase the calories. The old "Milk and Squat" diet for added mass was based on it. You simply did did the 20 rep squat routine (see Super Squats by Strossen) 2 X week and drank tons of milk, rested the rest, and the weight will come, and did. If you can't find the reference to Strossen's booj (Ironmind.com),I'll post a basic rundown on the training part of it.