ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:30 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Maybe on those presses, instead of going 159.5 where you stalled, you can find some extra collars, smaller plates, whatever to use instead. Go from 154 to around 157, and get an extra week of progress before you go 159.5. Better a lot of workouts with a little progress than backoff/stall/backoff/stall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:31 pm 

Thanks, I know I should use the weight lighter than 159.5. Still looking for those smaller weightplates though, the smallest I've got are 1.25kg.
Ahh, maybe I'll just use bags of water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:15 pm 

Is it sad I have been comparing our views since we roughly started our logs around the same time and have around the same amount of posts? :eek: damn i get bored at work

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:20 am 

Quote:
Is it sad I have been comparing our views since we roughly started our logs around the same time and have around the same amount of posts? eek damn i get bored at work

Well, it is me who should be sad since I'm laging behind. I should have named my forum more gripping!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:45 pm 

I think on squats and deads, you should mostly rest as long as you need to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:12 pm 

Johnny wrote:
Quote:
Is it sad I have been comparing our views since we roughly started our logs around the same time and have around the same amount of posts? eek damn i get bored at work

Well, it is me who should be sad since I'm laging behind. I should have named my forum more gripping!

If it makes you feel better I clicked on your thread like 15 times when I first read his post last week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:48 am 

Review of goals and progress, plus some concept checking about diet.

Goals
Deadlift 330 x 5 >>> now working on 264
Squat 264 x 5 >>> now working on 302.5 *(achieved on 08 Jun 09)
Bench Press 198 x 5 >>> now working on 165
Press 132 x 5 >>> now working on 132 *(achieved on 10 Jul 09)

After lifting and eating properly (well, I try) for 2 months, now I've achieved the press at 132lb. I hope the bench press and the deadlift will catch up soon, espeacially in the bench press, still more than 30lb to go. Damn, that seem to be a very long way. I kind of prefer those push exercises to pull exercises.

My physique changes, not much with my upper body, but I look at myself in the mirror everyday so I can't really tell. However, now I can see my thighs and my butt looked pretty much more in shape. I look quite fair-to-middling if I tighten my stomach, still look awful with my big fat belly if I don't. Hopefully one day I won't have to do it anymore.

A little with my diet; I eat a lot. Well, I don't really count my calories intake but I try to eat protein as much as possible, correspondingly with low carbohydrate (again, I try) moderate fat (or maybe high, like I said I don't really count) and, of course, those veggies. I try to eliminate those easy sugar and trans fat as well. Since my LDLs is high, I tend to eat more seeds and nuts, usually peanuts and sunflower seeds. I neither take any supplement nor whey isolate. For now I still have time to manage my food and whey isolate is quite expensive in my country. I eat non-fat milk with egg whites post workout (hold your tongue, I save the yolk to eat later).
And could somebody tell me what should I eat if I'm hungry late at night? I know it should be something that is digested slowly and no sugar. I tried cheese as it's recommended but eating cheese stick make me feel gross. And perhaps if I misunderstand in anything, anything at all. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:23 pm 

I think that when you're sick it often does a lot more good to go home and rest than to work out. I hope you're feeling better soon, and that the back doesn't give you any real trouble. Get some rest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:08 am 

Quote:
I think that when you're sick it often does a lot more good to go home and rest than to work out. I hope you're feeling better soon, and that the back doesn't give you any real trouble. Get some rest.

Thanks. I won't force myself if I feel unwell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:10 pm 

Sometimes it's a hard call. I think there was a thread about this some time back. Sometimes going in and doing a light day, sort of an active recovery day works, but sometime it's better just to go to bed.

Hope you're feeling well by now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:04 am 

Thanks again, I feel much better now. It's a relief. Having a fever at this time is not a very good idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:02 am 

Johnny wrote:
The pull/chin-ups are getting worse.

Sometimes they do that. Sometimes there's an apparent reason, often not. Just keep pulling on the bar. They'll go up. Mine have been tough lately, but I think I'm starting to break through again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:51 pm 

Jungledoc wrote:
Johnny wrote:
The pull/chin-ups are getting worse.

Sometimes they do that. Sometimes there's an apparent reason, often not. Just keep pulling on the bar. They'll go up. Mine have been tough lately, but I think I'm starting to break through again.

Maybe the reason(or excuse) is because I've gained weight gradually, now I'm at 181lb. For whatever reason it is, keep doing it, I will.

By the way, it is good to see you feel better. I really hate it when I have to lie on the bed all day. Good health is a great fortune.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:10 am 

I'll adjust my workout a bit. Following the suggestion in Practical Programming for Strength Training, I'll do front squat and deadlift on wednesday, so no squat and deadlift in the same day anymore. And also seperate row and pull-up into different day.

Mon
Squat
Bench press/Press
Row/Pull-up
+Arms/+Abs

Wed
Front squat
Bench press/Press
Deadlift
Row/Pull-up
+Arms/+Abs

Fri
Squat
Bench press/Press
Row/Pull-up
+Arms/+Abs

Never done front squat before, I'll start at 132lb.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:41 am 

You have a great squat for your bodywieght. Good work. Sorry if I missed it, how tall are you?

Also... You arms must be looking pretty good if your lying extensions are hovering around 80lbs... (I assume you are doing them the DC way.)

Good work man. Keep it up.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next