ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:45 pm 

pdellorto wrote:
Quote:
BTW all you volume junkies out there are total freaks. Anything over 8 reps is torture.

One of my MMA buddies does 1000-rep bodyweight squat sets every week. And, uhm, 100+ rep sets of everything else he does.

1,000? Good God. At least he has a justifiable reason to be insane. ha ha, holy cow that is a lot.

Quote:
Just so you know.

And yeah, "wear him out" is basically a useless strategy against him.

I'm pretty sure I would fall over running from the squat rack to the water fountain. Wrapping my brain around his conditioning is something else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:45 pm 

Thanks for asking about the smoking Doc. I appreciate it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:56 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

You should be over the hump.....it was smooth sailing after the 30 day mark for me. I started my cigar habit again around that time too.....and still to this day smoke a cigar a day and hate the smell of a cigarette.

Its been almost 5 years now since I have a cigarette....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:00 pm 

jps wrote:
You should be over the hump.....it was smooth sailing after the 30 day mark for me. I started my cigar habit again around that time too.....and still to this day smoke a cigar a day and hate the smell of a cigarette.

Its been almost 5 years now since I have a cigarette....

I'm afraid to lite one... I know I'll enjoy it, I don't ever want to relive those first three days again.

It was so hard to be nice to my wife and co-workers, I cried on my way home from work one day because I really wanted to murder someone, anyone.

Just being around and smelling second hand is getting me by so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:06 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

nygmen wrote:

I don't ever want to relive those first three days again. <snip>

I cried <snip>

I really wanted to murder someone, <snip>

anyone.

Pretty much the way I felt....lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:06 am 

Quote:
I'm afraid to lite one... I know I'll enjoy it, I don't ever want to relive those first three days again.

It was so hard to be nice to my wife and co-workers, I cried on my way home from work one day because I really wanted to murder someone, anyone.

You can hold the cigarette in your mouth but do NOT light it! Believe me, there would be only 5 minutes of pleasure and your guilt will ruin the rest of your day, perhaps many days.

I smoke too. It's been two and a half months now since I decided to quit. Maybe my quiting is not as hard as you due to one's duration of smoking but I think it is the same for all of us. I think cigarette addiction is much more about habit than Nicotin. I used to smoke every time after I had done some sports (damn, that used to be my enjoyable moment) or when I have to wait for something. Now I just have some snacks instead; can't compare the difference in pleasure but I feel better about myself.

I made a slip a week ago while I was hanging around with my friends. It's hard because I have friends that smoke. It's extremely hard to watch them smoke. It's exclusively hard to have them sit beside me. Fortunately, my guilt works fast. I had only 2 puffs then I put it down. I was so ashamed because I had just told them (included the girls too, that's not cool at all) that I quit. Only 10 minutes after the words came out of my mouth then I broke it. That 2 puffs make me regret until now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:43 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

My 60 year old father is quitting for his second time! 1989 was the first time, he cold turkeyed from 120 a day, no typo!!! Replaced them with Mars bars and went from 95kg to 145kg in 3 years! He took it up again 3 years after my mum left him in 1998 and he has just gone cold turkey again from 40 a day this time and he's not smoked for almost 3 months! What' most impressive is his girlfriend still smokes!!! I helped by having a bet with him that I'd quit drinking until he felt he didn't need any support! I drink once a week so it wasn't hard for me, but quitting the smokes nearly killed dad!

I certanly admire you for quitting, I see the result of smoking daily on the cancer ward I work on!!! Lung cancer, in my opinion, is the hardest to see people go through because of the pain and difficulty with breathing!!!

Hope you stick with it man!

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:26 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

nygmen wrote:
I'm pretty sure I would fall over running from the squat rack to the water fountain. Wrapping my brain around his conditioning is something else.

It's fun rolling with him after he's done fight prep for a couple guys. You're more tired from watching him go all-out for 25 minutes than he is having done it. He's bouncing off the ceiling, ready to go.

You'd think a person would break down, but they say the legendary Indian wrestler Gama did 3000 dands (pushups) and 5000 baithaks (air squats) every day. So maybe it's just survival of the fittest joints?

And congrats on holding out on smoking!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:49 pm 

Thanks for the support guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:18 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Dieting? :eek: Here I am stuffing my face until I want to hurl.....taking your advice. You don't want to know what I had for dinner....lol.

Good luck with that btw....not sure which is more difficult.....eating less or trying to cram food in your face....lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:43 pm 

jps wrote:
Dieting? :eek: Here I am stuffing my face until I want to hurl.....taking your advice. You don't want to know what I had for dinner....lol.

Good luck with that btw....not sure which is more difficult.....eating less or trying to cram food in your face....lol.

I'd rather eat. I would so much rather eat.

Don't get me wrong. I have zero desire to be lean. I mean I would have to work them if I saw my abs all day. I am quite happy at 17-20%, plus I get stronger eating this much.

If I can't stay as strong as I am, I'm not going to keep the lower calories for long.

Plus by lower I mean 1.5 sandwiches for lunch rather than two.

If this was a real diet I would drop dairy altogether

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:59 am 

Man, dieting too? You're a masochist.

I'm with you on that one, though. I'm trying to lose a bit more body fat while I'm still in the competitive mindset. I don't want to rush right back up to 195 again and have it all be fat. So I'm being careful about the amount of food I'm taking it.

Totally sucks. This should be the "brownies for breakfast" time in my diet - I don't need to make weight! It better pay off, right? :mad:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:20 pm 

pdellorto wrote:
Man, dieting too? You're a masochist.

I'm with you on that one, though. I'm trying to lose a bit more body fat while I'm still in the competitive mindset. I don't want to rush right back up to 195 again and have it all be fat. So I'm being careful about the amount of food I'm taking it.

Totally sucks. This should be the "brownies for breakfast" time in my diet - I don't need to make weight! It better pay off, right? :mad:

Yeah, I'll be breaking knee caps if come to find out I'm just taking two steps back for nothing.

The way I see it, if my strenght stays the same or gains slightly, I'm fine. If I actually get weaker, I'm eating like house again ASAP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:49 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Congrats on 505!! Very cool!!

And you have a PM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:59 pm 
Novice
Novice

Nygmen,

I just wanted to say that your journal has been very motivating and has helped me as I train or should I say resumed training. I took about 4 months off because I attempted a new training method that a friend suggested and lost interest and it was hard to get motivated again. Man I just wanted to ask your opinion about a couple of things. 1. I see that you use caffeine pills, do you recommend the usage of coffee on an empty stomach before a workout? I work out at 5:30am 3 times a week, I just don't have an appetite that early in the morning. 2. I stand at a meager 5'10" tall @ 180lbs...I know you can stop laughing now! :) can my deadlift increase if my squat stays constant? I ask this because I work out at home and train alone. I do not have a squat cage but my bench has high enough standards that I can do squats. The highest I've ever gone up to is 225lbs, will this limit my progress in the deadlift? By the way congratulations on the 505 DL I hope I can get there!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next