ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: 3-day split Jan06
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:12 am 
n00b
n00b

Hi everyone - just found this website last night. What a great find. The forum looks new - hope you will be able to give me some decent advice.

I've been training 4/5 times per week for about 7 years and consider myself intermediate/advanced for most exercises. i'm constantly changing my routines in search of the ultimate workout and today start my new 3-day split. i'm going back to legs, push, pull on a three day on, one day off split.

currently i weight 83kg and in my opinion have a surfers body - slim build but with athletic look. i'm wanting to add some serious muscle to my hamstrings and calves as they are the weakest part of my body.

just wondered if anyone could tell me what they think of the routine below and the weight i am using in relation to the other muscles i.e. i squat 200kg but can only perform romanian deadlifts with 120kg - making my quads much stronger than my hamstrings. IS THIS NORMAL?

*all reps are 10-6
day1
romanian deadlifts (4 sets) 120k
leg press/squat (4) 200k
alternate leg box squat (3) 20k
seated leg curl (3) 55k
lying one-leg curl (3) 20k
calf press (3) 120k
calf raise (3) 65k
back extensions (2) 20-15reps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:54 pm 
Novice
Novice

It does sound like they are lagging a little. Your lower back and abs could have something to fo with it, for the hams anyway. The routine looks even now, but maybe int he past you didn't work the hams and calves much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:57 am 

200 kilogram squat for 10 is very impressive.

If you are feeling adventurous and depending on what you currenlty do, you can try a wider stance squat (powerlifting squat) where you sit back more and use your hamstrings/glutes to squat. This would help bring up the hamstrings I am sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:05 am 
thanks guys - appreciate the input. i've always trained legs but must admit i have concentrated on building big quads due to skinnt leg syndrome. whilst i have always included leg curls in my routine i have only recently added romanian deadlifts (straight-leg deadlifts) to my routine and am some months behind.

did the above routine last night and have to say found it much easier than my normal routine. i tended to over-complicate things. i'm eating every 2-3 hours and taking two/three suppliments per day. i hold good form and try to do 10-6 reps or until failure.

the hams are a bit tight today but not as bad as previous leg days.

anyway tonight is day two (for anyone interested)
*all reps are 10-6
inc db chest press (4 sets) 30k
flat smiths chest press (4 sets) 75k
db shoulder press (3) 25k
lying db pull-over (3) 40k
lying ezb french press (3) 25k
behind-head db tricep extension (3) 8/10k
db lateral raise (3) 8/10k
ab-crunch (3 sets) reps of 20 with b/w

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:07 am 
n00b
n00b

that was me by the way. forgot to log in!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:15 am 
Novice
Novice

thebigragu,

Something I'm curious about, and this is a general question for anyone, is how do you warm up, if at all? And I'm not talking about a pre-workout warmup. Do you do a couple lightweight sets for each exercise before moving on to your "real" 3-4 sets at 6-10 reps or do you just start in on each exercise? If you do a few light sets to warm up your muscles, do you do them before each exercise? And if so, are warms up sets necessary for the last few exercises of a workout session since your body is probably about as warmed up as it can get?

That's something I can't recall seeing discussed. It usually left out of most articles. I'm guessing it's something basic that most people are just supposed to "know."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:59 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Good question Drew. It usually isn't discussed much. Here's how I do it. Let's take bench press because that seems to be everyones favorite, but it could apply to anything. First, after a general warmup, I take an empty bar and do some movements, maybe 8-10 or so, I don't really count. It's just to get some blood moving in there and reeinforc my movement patterns. Ten I'll do some dislocates (shoulders) with a dowel or towel. and repeat 1 or two times. Then I'll gradually add on weight with 3 or so reps until I'm close to m workset (s). Now, if I follow up with, say DB overhead presse, I will only do one light warmup just to get the motor patterns down, then go right into it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:59 am 
Novice
Novice

I like to do all my warmups at the beginning. I do more for the first thing I am going to do since I seem to need more at the beginning. I do my splits by muscles that work together. If you do a different routine, you might be better off doing it different. I think doing a warmup before each excercise is just as good though. You just have to do more when you start. Or you can walk a few minutes on the treadmill and then do 1 set before each. I like to stretch a little myself, but some people don't like that. It is mostly personal preference. The most important thing is to get the blood flowing and put a little tension on the muscle before you really work it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:34 am 
n00b
n00b

i always do 5-10 mins cardio to get my heart rate up; usually on a bike, treadmill or rower. never the cross-trainer as i think they're a waste of space.

then i will lightly stretch the muscles i intend to train - no more than 6 or 7 seconds as i believe, in my experience, that this can affect the weights you can lift.

as has been stated above do some movements to get the blood flowing but don't add any weight and then jump straight in. my plan at the moment means that whatever exercise i do i only perform a maximum of 30 reps (in total) so that could be two sets of 15 or 3 sets of 10 etc.

its pull today... i'll post that in a second. additionally if anyone wants to try these workouts for a couple of weeks and give me any feedback that would be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:49 am 
n00b
n00b

tonight is day three of my split
*all reps are 10-6
bent-over bb row (4 sets) 62k
wide-grip lat pull-down (4 sets) 57k
seated cable row (3) 57k
ezb upright row (3) 35k
standing ezb bicep curl (3) 25k
seated incline db hammer curl (3) 12/10k
ab-crunch (3 sets) reps of 20 with b/w

tomorrow is my day off. thank god.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]