ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:11 am 

Thursday: July 2, 2009

Cardio Warmup:
.5 mile jog/walk around the track

Upper Body Rep Day:

Barbell Bench 95# for Reps:
45x5
45x5
65x3
95x8,7,6 - 60sec rest

Rope Pushdowns:
30x10
30x10
30x7
30x6

Lat Pulldown: Wide Grip
100x12,10,8,8

DB Shoulder Press: Standing
22.5x4
17.5x8,13,10

Hammer Curls:
15x10
17.5x10,10

Bench Notes:
I expected more reps, but I don't supposed what I did was that bad. Especially considering the Warmup. Once again, More Volume can't hurt to much at this stage.

DB Shoulder PRess Notes:
These really surprised me. I expected to lift much more weight, but after the Abuse the Tri's had already taken, I wasn't able to lift more than I did for reps.

Curl notes:
Should have lifted more weight.

Overall Notes:
I wasn't feeling well when I walked in (stomache issues), but forced myself to get the upper body work in. BUT, I couldn't force myself to do the prescibed AB Circuit. This workout really punished my triceps, which we know from watching my log must be weak. All of my lifts were done with 60s rest in between sets.

Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:16 pm 

Today: 20090705

Cardio Warmup:
None

Max Effort Flat Bench:
45x10
85x3
95x2
115x3
125x1

Dumbbell Incline Bench: #=Each (Palms Forward)
27.5x10,10,10
32.5x10

Low Cable Row:
70x15.15,15
85x10

Face/Neck Pulls
22.5x15
27.5x15,15

DB Side Bends
25x15
35x15,15

ME Bench Notes:
Overall, felt good and I "may have been able to complete 3 reps with a good spotter. My own paranoia and safety had me stopping with a single rep at 125.

DB Inclines:
Still learning the weight on these. I should have jumped to the heavier 32.5 at the third set instead of the 4th

Cable Rows:
Form makes a big difference with these. I need to try and focus on getting a good stretch forward before pulling back and contracting the back muscles.

Face/neck pulls:
I had never done these before, but they are quite interesting and I need to get the weight up higher on my next attempts.

Side Bends:
Yep, I did them.. Not much else to say... Keep adding weight in the future.

Overall Workout:
I'm pretty happy with the work done. I'm completing all reps and sets, therefore, I need to up the weight a bit more. I am sufficiently tired a couple of hours after going to the gym though. It's early, but I'm ready for bed...

Weight notes:
Last Sunday: 178.5
Thursday: 171.6
Today: 178.4

As mentioned by JungleDoc, I was quite dehydrated on Thursday and I have gained that water weight back. As long as I'm still getting stronger, I don't mind gaining weight, but I have put on more around the waiste than I really want.

Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:32 am 

Wednesday 20090708

Cardio Warmup:
5min+ brisk walk around the track while waiting for the Cage to empty

Squats ME:
45 x 5
95 x 5
145 x 5
155 x 3
175 x 3

Barbell Stepups 15"-18" Box:
45 x 11,10,7,10

RDL's
155 x 10,10,5

Wrist Rollup Timed: 10#
30 Sec
30 Sec
30 Sec

Overall Notes:
I didn't sleep well the night prior, around 4hrs or less total sleep, therefore, I was tired and rundown before arriving at the Gym. Otherwise, Weights felt pretty good. All Rest times were ~60sec for all exercises unless noted.

ME Squat Notes:
Warmups done almost consecutively, just enough time to add more weight, then just under 3min rest for the final ME Set. With a little more rest, I think I could have completed all 5 reps, but Form was hideous and I almost fell on my face my third and final rep. I am still doing Low Bar back squats for these, even though Defranco's promotes Front or High Bar Squats for this lift.

Stepups:
Reps were a true count this week. IE: Up on the Box 22 times equals 11 Reps per Leg. Additionally, I used a Full Length Olympic Barbell this week. On My Last Stepup Day, I used a Short Bar and I'm beginning to think it might only weigh 35 or 40#. Not the Full 45 for a standard bar. I'll try and weigh the short bar sometime soon. Overall, These are just brutal for me and I can't completely understand why.

RDL's:
I'm really beginning to enjoy these. I did not use the rack and made the initial pull from the floor. Now, that I think about it, I don't think I counted that first pull from the floor either. Oh well, that's ok. Added 20# to the bar and repped out the first 2 sets and my grip failed on my last set. My back and legs had more reps in them, but my fingers just didn't.

Wrist Rollups:
I really felt the burn on these. However, These seem to be more of a forearm exercise. I think I need to find a better exercise for my fingers and grip.

Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:18 am 

Thursday: 20090710

Cardio: Not much, Needed to get in an out as quick as possible..

Upper Body Rep Day:
All Rest Periods between 1 and 1.5min

Barbell Bench 95# for Reps:
45x5
45x5
65x3
95x10,9,8

Rope Pushdowns:
30x10
30x9
30x10 **
30x10 **

Lat Pulldown: Close Grip Underhand
100x12,12,11,8

DB Shoulder Press: Standing
17.5x15,13,11

Hammer Curls:
17.5x10,10,10

AB Circuit:
Weighted Ab Twist 10# -15rep
Plank 30sec
rest - short
Weighted Ab Twist 10# -12rep
Plank 40sec

Bench Reps Notes:
Once again, I wimped out on my last 2 sets especially. I'm pretty sure I could have done at least 1 more rep for each set. However, This is an improvement of 6 more reps than last time. I can't complain with this progress.

**Rope Pushdowns:
These were harder from the start today. The first 2 sets were done with strict form and ensuring that I "Spread" the rope at the bottom. However, the last few reps of the last 2 sets I cheated and kept my hands together to get all my reps in.

Lat Pulldowns:
Underhand close grip, which always make these easier for me. Therefore, added reps to my total, but the last set must have been shorter than normal rest, because I really dropped a lot of reps.

DB Shoulder Press:
Need to keep grinding away. By this point in the workout, My Triceps are hammered, but that's the point. Gotta Push harder on these......

Hammer Curls:
Just need to add more weight.. Although, I think I will change this out with some other curl on the next workout...

Ab Circuit:
It is what it is... Should have done another set though, but was in a hurry to pick up my two little girls...

Overall Notes:
Good workout, and my progress seems acceptable to me. Could be better, but I don't eat well enough or many times enough. However, I am gaining weight again... Gaining is both good and bad, because my diet has way to many carbs and not nearly the amount of protein for the best muscle growth. I have been quite consistent at drinking my Post workout shake though (51g Protein, 200cal). Thankfully, I eat mostly chicken through the week for lunch, but it's fried mostly. Oh well, I can always take the fat off after getting stronger right....

One last note:
I compressed the ME Lower body workout and the upper Body Rep workout into consecutive days. I should have had a days rest in between, and I can truly feel why today. My whole Body is fatigued. Must eat a lot and rest well, but this office chair sucks and I'm here all day. And Tonight, I have to keep the girls occupied while my wife studies for her class. Gonna be a long day. :)

Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:55 pm 

Today: 20090712

Cardio Warmup:
6min jog around the track

Max Effort Flat Bench:
45x10
85x3
95x1
115x1
125x3

Dumbbell Flat Bench: #=Each (Palms together)
32.5x10,10,10,10

Low Cable Row:
70x15.15
85x12,14

Face/Neck Pulls
30x15,15
35x15

DB Side Bends
35x15,15,15

Quote:
Notes to be added later, gotta make the girls quit fighting and go to bed... :cry:

Now back to the Notes..

After finishing at the gym, came home, drank my shake then mowed the yard.

Bench Notes:
Once again, played it safe. But, it's been working, so I stopped after my planned and expected 125# 3rep max.

DB Bench Notes:
I expected these to feel heavier, but really they weren't that bad. Although, I use my Iphone as a timer for my rest. Long story short, I pushed the wrong button, and lost track of my rest length between set 3 and 4. Given how much easier this set felt, and estimating time, I would say I rested much longer than my typical 1min.

Row Notes:
Not much to say here.. Just a reminder to get the full ROM and stretch forward and Squeeze hard as I pull back...

Face Pulls:
Pulled to the nose. These appear to really hit my right side harder than my left. I can't decide if I pull harder or more with the right, or if there is some other issue with my form. Additionally, These seem to be hitting my biceps more than expected. Obviously, I'm still trying to find out what is Truly heavy for these. I'm still adding weight and completing all reps.

Overall Notes:
I know I need to change my Max Effort lift, and likely some of the other accessory lifts, but these seem to be working. The Saying goes, "If it Aint Broke Don't Fix it". But I'm not sure if this truly applies.

Now for the Bad... I'm not sure if I will make it to the Gym this week. Softball Tournament early this week, and events with my girls later in the week.. Time will tell, but I hope to get all the workouts in.

Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:02 am 

Monday: 20090713

Softball Game:
Pre-game stretches and Sprints for warmup

Temperature: HOT and HUMID.

Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:02 am 

Tuesday: 20090714

Softball Game:
Pre-game stretches and Sprints for warmup

Temperature: HOT and HUMID.

Muscles: Sore, and my right Tricep was quite tight and sore at the end of the game. Still sore this morning, but not as bad.

Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:37 pm 

Today: 20090719

Warmup:

Max Effort Incline Bench:
45x10
65x5
95x3
105x3
110x2

Dumbbell Flat Bench: #=Each (Palms Forward)
32.5x10,10
37.5x10,10

Low Cable Row: (Straight Bar)
70x15
85x15,12,15

Face/Neck Pulls
35x15,15,15

DB Side Bends
45x15,15,15

Overall Notes:
Just a good workout. In and out as quick as possible.

Incline Notes:
A Few #'s less than my flat bench. Is there a good reference between Flat Bench and Incline Bench weights. I feel like a broken record, but with a spotter I should have at least completed the third rep at the last weight.

DB Flat Bench:
These seem to really hit my Chest (Pecs) much more than Barbell Variations. I keep adding weight, but completing all reps. Even though I "Think" I shouldn't be able to complete the reps. I guess this is good.

Cable Row Notes:
Used a short straight bar today. Also, I leaned back with made these more. Seemed to hit my traps more than they have been. I need to switch these out soon for some Bent BB Rows or 1 arm DB Rows. Admittedly, I seem to like to Cable Row though, Easy no thining type of work.

Face Pulls:
To nose/chin. I didn't expect to complete all sets and reps. But I did, even though I added weight. This can only mean that I am still ging to light. Just need to keep adding weight and I should hit a point when it is really heavy. I like doing these, and it seems to hit my upper and Biceps pretty good after rowing.

Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:54 am 

Wednesday 20090722

Cardio Warmup:
See General Notes:

Squats ME:
45 x 5
45 x 5
95 x 5
115 x 3
134 x 3
155 x 2
175 x 3
185 x 3 PR

Barbell Stepups 15"-18" Box:
45 x 10,10,7

RDL's
155 x 10,10,5

Squat Notes:
Slower Warmup for this workout, which put me under the bar for more reps. Overall, I'm pleased. Still progressing with the weight, and I have to question whether I could have done more weight with less warmup/work up. I didn't even try for more reps, 3 was my target for today. I plan to switch between 3 and 5 reps for the ME lifts.

Stepup Notes:
Wow, I just completely ran out of gas during the 3rd set. My Mind said, "Get on the Box", but my legs said "NOOOOOOO". See my General Notes for likely reasons..

RDL Notes:
Completed all 3 sets and reps. Almost dropped the bar due to grip (I think it's really just a slick bar, may need to invest in some powder/chalk). Really felt the burn last night and today. Hamstrings are very tight...

Grip/Ab Work:
Didn't get to do. I received a phone call just before my last set of RDL's. I needed to go get my girls and take them home. Oh Well, It happens. I think I will try to add some Heavy holds to Thursday's Upper Rep Day. I know I need better grip strength.

General Notes:
Finished Softball on Monday Night and started a new Wiffle Ball League before my workout. Not the most strenous of sports, but fun and enjoyable. It was a pretty decent warmup and had my heart pumping, But I had to drive across town to hit the gym. Also, this really conflicted with when I should have been eating. My Food intake for the day was low and at bad times. I think these two items led to my being a little fatigued and running out of Gas during my stepups.

Eating: was not good prior to working out. Small breakfast, Pizza and Salad for Lunch, then a couple of Chicken Nuggets and Fries between Wiffle Ball and the Gym... Then my Shake Post Workout. Must improve this...

Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:57 pm 

Today: 20090802

Warmup: Jump Rope

Max Effort Incline Bench:
45x10
65x5
95x3
105x3
110x3

Dumbbell Flat Bench: #=Each (Palms In, Neutral Grip)
32.5x10
37.5x10,10
32.5x8

Low Cable Row: (Straight Bar)
70x15
85x15,11,8

Face/Neck Pulls - to Neck
35x14,11,9

Knee/Hip Raises
BWx10,10,10

Overall Notes:
Just Felt weak today, and it showed in all my lifts. I don't think I hit my targets for anything. I haven't been eating well at all the past couple of days (weak Really). This was especially true for today before my workout.

Incline Bench Notes:
Hoped to hit 115x3 today, but struggled to push 110x3. See Overall Note..

Flat DB Bench Notes:
Expected better progression, but just didn't happen today.. See Overall Note.. Also, the Neutral Grip didn't seem to get the Chest to Fire today. I didn't think my form was that much different than normal, but aparantly it was.

Row Notes:
Good extension and stretch forward, and pretty good pull from the upper back. Just weak today...

Face Pull Notes:
Not sure what the issue is, but I may need to switch these out for a while. I don't seem to be getting the same Pull from my left shoulder and arm. I can feel the right arm/shoulder pull back harder than the left. I need suggestions on how to make my left side work harder.

Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:16 am 

Tuesday 20090804

Didn't get to the Gym for Lower Body day, which sucks.

But did play in the Wiffle Ball League, which is quite fun and resembles some cardio.

Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:18 pm 

Life got in the way again and I hadn't been to the gym in way to long. I can tell also. Been sluggish and tired lately. Combined with not so great eating, are classic signs for me of not getting enough exercise..

Made it to the gym tonight.

Cardio Warmup:
15min elliptical - Interval setting
HR up to 182 (to high)

ME Bench:
45x10
65x5
95x3
105x3
115x3**

DB Incline Bench:
25x10,10,10,11

Low Cable Row: (V-Handle)
70x15,15,15,15

Face/Neck Pulls:
35x10,10,10

Ab Twists: 10#

ME Bench Notes:
I'm pretty sure the 115# was a Personal Best. Especially considering the amount of warmup I did. This was more than expected, considering the nearly 2 months out of the gym. OK, it looks like July 12th was my true PB for this at 125x5. That's what I get for going on memory instead of reading my notes first. Still not bad in my opinion.

DB Incline Notes:
Should have upped the weight on at least the last set, but the DB's were scatterred throughout the gym and I couldn't find a matching set of 27.5's or 30's. I only completed a single extra rep, so it wasn't that light.

Cable Rows and Face Pulls:
The last few reps of each set (After the first) weren't as deep or didn't have the best scapula contraction. Amazing how on the first couple of reps, the rope actually touches my neck, but on the last couple, the rope is 3-4" from my neck. I need to go back through my notes, but I believe I have lost quite a bit of strength here.

Seated/Decline AB Twists:
Ground out a few extra reps for this. Just work, nothing special. These actually feel good at first due to the good stretch and "twist" on the spine.

Overall:
Good workout. I'm pretty happy considerring how long it has been since I actually worked out. Since my last time at the gym, I have played in an all day softball tourney, play each week, setup and tore down all decorations for an outdoor wedding (early August 90^ + ). And a few other Semi strenous activities. So, I haven't been a complete slob, but not the most active either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:04 am 

Wednesday - 20091007

Cardio Warmup:
13min elliptical - Interval setting
HR up to 176 (to high)

ME Bench:
45x10
65x5
95x3
105x3
115x3
125x1

DB Incline Bench: Palms Together
27.5x10,10,9,10

Low Cable Row: (V-Handle, Close Grip)
70x15,15,15
Supersetted With
Face/Neck Pulls:
35x10,10,10

Crunches:

ME Bench Notes:
Went in Expecting to do more weight and complete 125x3. After once again watching Dave Tates Bench Video, I ended up messing with Form and focusing more on keeping my elbows tucked instead of flailing out. Therefore, it just wasn't a good "Lifting" Day.

DB Inclines:
Just felt tired and Weak. Not at all like last week.

Cable Row/ Face Pulls Superset:
Did the Cable Rows, immediately followed by the Face Pulls. This was a first doing these this way. Approx 1m between sets. The First set felt great, but ran out of steam fast on set 2 and 3. Ironically, When I started my first set, the Cable Station I was using, was empty. But immediately began getting busy and I had to keep switching the location for my face Pulls, and when I got up from the Rows, Someone would jump in on that station. Simply Amazing...

Overall:
Not a great workout. I had a bad day at the office, and Slept even worse the night before. Tired and Stressed out don't make for a great day at the gym. On the good side, it did help to clear my head for a while, and get out some frustration. It's days like Yesterday that I wish I had a "Heavy Bag" and Routine that I could just go at for a while.

Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:05 pm 

20091011 Sunday

Rep Upper Day

Warmup:
Short, but Quick Walk around the Track..

Bench Press Reps 95# (1min rest work sets)
45-10
75-5
95-9,6,7

Tricep Pushdowns (1min rest)
30-12,12,12,9

Lat Pull Downs Close Grip Palms Out (1min Rest)
100-10,10,6,7

DB Overhead Press Seated (1min Rest)
20-15,11,6,8

Preacher Curls (1min Rest)
40-10,10

Overall Notes:
Not as good as I had hoped, but not to bad I guess. I need to compare the stats to my last Rep Upper Day. I will say this, I always leave the gym with my upper body (Triceps Mostly) trashed on Rep Days. I feel like just 1 more Press/Push will make my arms fall off. Therefore, I feel like I give it all I have. I just wish I had more to give. I don't always feel this way on the ME Day.

Didn't do the Ab Circuit, due to time constrants, and the Preacher Curl station had a Bad Sun Reflection. Therefore, I did not do the last 2 planned sets. Likely, I just wussed out on these. Sometimes, I wish I had someone standing behind me and yelling to push me to complete the work planned.

Other Notes:
I have a new Iphone App to log my workouts. Gym Buddy. Today was the first day using it. Seems like it might be pretty good, but Time will tell. The cost was good though as compared to my previous App..
Previous App: fitsync.com $39/yr
Current App: Gym Buddy $2.99 Lifetime

I will update my feelings on this as I get more comfortable using it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:34 am 

Tuesday - 20091013

Cardio Warmup:
7min Bike - Warmup setting

ME Bench: (~3min Rest between last 2 sets, otherwise no rest)
45x10
75x5
95x3
115x3
125x1

DB Incline Bench: Palms Forward
30x10,10,10,8

Bent Barbell Row:
80x15,12,10,8
Supersetted With
Face/Neck Pulls: (1.5min Rest)
30x12,12,12

Crunches: Cybex Machine

Bench Notes:
Quite disappointed in this performance. I feel I should have at least done 2 at 125#, but had expectations to complete 3 reps. Just wasn't in the cards though, and I had to drop to the safeties when attempting rep 2 at 125#. :( There is always next time.

DB Incline Notes:
Pushed really hard with these. The last 2 sets actually had a slight pause at the top between a couple of reps. Nothing major, a couple seconds max. Truly wanted to complete sets across of 10, but just didn't happen, the final set really had to be pushed to lockout 8.

Bent BB Row - SuperSet with Face Pulls:
I hadn't done BB Rows in quite a while and intended and started out as a Pendlay Style Row. But, as the sets increased and I fatigued, these truly morphed into more of a typical 45^ Bent BB Row. :( The Weight was likely a little heavy, but I muscled through them, or as many as I could do.

I Inadvertently lowered my weight down on these, which allowed for more reps easier. This was probably a good thing considering how the Rows were treating me.

Overall Notes:
Good hard workout. Switched up a lift or two. Sadly, I was and still am sore from my previous workout. It sucks getting back in the groove and getting the body used to working again..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next