ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:37 am 

Is there any way you can setup some safety Bars to protect you in this situation? Being Pinned under the bar is still a big fear of mine, and I work out in a Commercial Gym that usually has several who can and will help me get up.

And, like the others have said, I was once pinned under 105#, and this was not long ago. Sadly, this put a mental block on me, and I took quite a while to get past that.

Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:25 pm 

I feel so lucky for my power rack have the safety bar at the level that the barbell can touch my chest but cannot roll down to my throat. If I don't have the safety bar, I'd be too afraid to do squat and bench press. In my opinion, we should have either safety bar or spotter to provide safeness and confidence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:39 pm 

Yea our routines look pretty similar. I generally bounce between a push/pull or upper/lower just cause I like to work out 4 days a week. Not a big fan of full body, just because its 3 really long workouts then. I do push on sun, pull mon, push wed, pull thurs. The prob I usually have is I try to do too much (cardio or HIIT) when I'm lifting pretty intensely and I get burnt out pretty quick. But not this time. I sticking with just weights!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:47 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I don't do any cardio at this point...and may not in the near future.

I like a rest day between all workouts.....if you have the flexibility to workout every other day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:03 pm 

Somebody's got a girlfriend... lol

Why were you on the couch one night? I hate sleeping on the couch, it means I'm a) throwing up drunk b) done something ultra stupid and the wife and I are screaming at eachother c) I'm ultra sick. Plus I'm about 6 inches too tall for our couch. Stinks.

I like doing high reps now and again too. I just never get around to it. Like today was supposed to be speed work on deads. That ended within 4 reps of 225... lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:33 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Quote:
Somebody's got a girlfriend... lol

lol.....I am enjoying it for sure. Been single for too long , trying to get my head together. Last night was the first time I cooked for her....she was impressed....and things are going well. We even talked of going to NOLA in a month or so.....:grin:

Quote:
Why were you on the couch one night? I hate sleeping on the couch, it means I'm a) throwing up drunk b) done something ultra stupid and the wife and I are screaming at eachother c) I'm ultra sick. Plus I'm about 6 inches too tall for our couch. Stinks.

long story....but short version is: I don't have any furniture in my master bedroom. I have a guest room that I sleep in, but no TV. So I usually sit/lay and watch TV in the family room until I am tired, then go to bed. That one night I fell asleep on the couch and didn't wake up until 4 or so.... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:46 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Sure, leg drive is fine! Nice bench!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:00 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

pdellorto wrote:
Sure, leg drive is fine! Nice bench!

Thanks! I think my bench is coming along great...all the pieces are falling together nicely!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:55 pm 

I was getting worried about ya...

Good to hear your having fun, and making bank.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:59 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

nygmen wrote:

Thanks....I have to keep telling myself a week off will be good for me. Especially since I haven't taken a week since I started this in Feb.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:02 pm 

jps wrote:
nygmen wrote:

Thanks....I have to keep telling myself a week off will be good for me. Especially since I haven't taken a week since I started this in Feb.

I don't know if it will be good or bad for you, but drinking, lifting and working that much could be worse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:05 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

nygmen wrote:
I don't know if it will be good or bad for you, but drinking, lifting and working that much could be worse.

I did that many months ago and hurt myself....I was sick as hell for a week I think.

I'm off until Thursday...then its full steam ahead! Woo woo!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:22 pm 

Where ever you add in conventional deads it is going to take some energy away from other lifts.

This may sound weird but if you want to stay on the same split you are using, I would put them at the end of non-squat day, and leave nothing on the table. Do your normal workout, and then deadlift until you want to vomit, add 20lbs, pull two more reps, take a breath, pull one more, then call it a day.

This way you still get some benefit, but you won't be slowing down any other lifts due to fatigue.

I like them in the beginning due to the 80/20 rule and the 12 years of rest I take between sets. That said, if I was making your progress and didn't want to alter my split, I would put them in at the end to not slow down progress elsewhere.

Just a thought, I could be wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:18 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Interesting.....never thought of doing them last. My only worry is workout time. The big lifts take me forever to get through.....more sets, much longer rest during work sets. I would probably be going an hour and 15 mins or longer....

I will start these soon....maybe today. Schedule is tight today and I have a stein club meeting tonight. Prost!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:38 pm 

jps wrote:
Interesting.....never thought of doing them last.

Neither did I until I heard someone say that some powerlifters do that, just recently too... I don't know how true that is, but seeing as you pull last in a meet, I figured it couldn't be all bad of an idea...

Quote:
My only worry is workout time. The big lifts take me forever to get through.....more sets, much longer rest during work sets. I would probably be going an hour and 15 mins or longer....

You are just under an hour as it is, are your nights that tight that 15mins is a deal breaker? I understand that, as it's a pain in the ass to get some lifts in, that is why my split gets more and more elaborate.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next