ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 4:13 pm 

First time I've forgotten to log in... this illness must really be getting to me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 10:34 am 
DubDub- obviously you know your body alot better than i do, but im kinda wondering why you did that 155x8 set before the 205? If thats your warmup set, have you ever tried doing multiple warmup sets at smaller reps? Like 3 or 4 progressively heavier?Ive just found with myself if that first work set is gonna be a toughy a warmup like that works better for me. Something like 135 x5, then 155x 3, 175x2, 195 x1. Then the work sets of 205. Now all these warmup sets are easy so you dont need much rest at all in between. By going heavier it will eliminate that "oh $h1t this is heavy" feeling that going from 155 to 205 will give you! And i think it better prepares you, because given your 3x8 goal at the same weight you really cant afford to not be fully prepared for the first set...just a thought!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 5:22 pm 

JeffD wrote:
DubDub- obviously you know your body alot better than i do, but im kinda wondering why you did that 155x8 set before the 205? If thats your warmup set, have you ever tried doing multiple warmup sets at smaller reps? Like 3 or 4 progressively heavier?Ive just found with myself if that first work set is gonna be a toughy a warmup like that works better for me. Something like 135 x5, then 155x 3, 175x2, 195 x1. Then the work sets of 205. Now all these warmup sets are easy so you dont need much rest at all in between. By going heavier it will eliminate that "oh $h1t this is heavy" feeling that going from 155 to 205 will give you! And i think it better prepares you, because given your 3x8 goal at the same weight you really cant afford to not be fully prepared for the first set...just a thought!

Hmm, I never thought of warming up that way. I almost always do only one or two warmup sets. Your suggestion makes sense, though I don't really see my current approach as flawed, that's how I've always warmed up. I figure the 8 reps will get me ready for 8 at a higher weight, and I don't see 50 pounds as that much of a jump... since I'm used to lifting 230ish after a second warmup set of 185ish. Next time I'll try it your way and see if I like that better. I don't know though, 3 or 4 warmup sets for only 3 work sets? seems like overkill right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:15 am 
Yeah im not saying its flawed...although the general rule of thumb i remember reading is 2 warmup sets for every 100lbs. But remember those are easy so you need minimal rest between, the first couple would just be the time it takes to add the plates. Give it a shot some time, and see how that first set of 205 feels compared to how it is for you now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 1:54 pm 

Well I tried the different warmup sequence, and while I thought it was okay, I didn't really like it, to be honest, I kinda like the jump in weight from warmup to work set, makes me feel like I'm really lifting, and I never get that 'oh shi***' feeling from my work sets of 205lbs (though today I did drop my weight on the 8th rep of the second work set, not really that bad, in fact, that's one less psychological hurdle for me for the future).

Anyway, surely by the time of my next upper body workout I'll be 100%, and I'll have a dedicated spotter with me... right? Let's hope.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:16 pm 
Hey whatever works best for ya! Im glad you at least didnt miss the first set of 8...i wouldve felt like an ass lol. By the way sorry i couldnt help but laugh at what happened on that 2nd set. That used to happen to me so many times...where i'd have to tilt it to one side, have the plates slide off, and then the other end of the bar shoots up! Just had some funny flashbacks of my dangerous self..and my dad yelling from upstairs at me down in the basement "what the hell's going on down there!??" lol.

Post subject: Change of pace
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 2:53 pm 

Well, I've been thinking about it, and it's been very hard to motivate myself to get into the gym for upper body recently. In fact, I haven't been in a little while. But I was just evaluating myself in the mirror recently, and am thinking about a different focus for upper body for the next few coming weeks.
Basically my problem stems from being bored with bench press, and moreover, apathetic. I was wondering how this looks to people:

Upper Body Push Muscles:
Pushups
Incline Bench
Dips
Skullcrushers
Military Press (DB)
Push Press
Dumbbell Flye [My gym will limit me to 70lbs I think, not sure what I can do flye anyway...]

My major focus I guess is the pectoralis clavicular, as well as my shoulders. But I also want to work on my back:

Bent over row
Shrug
Hammer Curl (DB)
Supinated pull-ups (WG)
Upright row

And of course I'd like to continue growth in my legs and abs strength:
Squat
Deadlift
Incline Sit-ups
Side bends (for obliques, definitely the weak point in my abdominal region)

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 9:29 am 

Wow, really feeling those side bends. I'm going to have to take at least one day off or it's going to affect my legs/back day!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 9:35 am 

Reading the bodyweight workout thread in General I've decided I will try to do supine rows as well as the other back exercises I listed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 12:48 pm 

Stilllll feeling those side bends, I think I'll put off my next lift until tomorrow, it'll be legs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 2:40 pm 

Today I tried some dunking on my family's hoop. Without knowing what height I was dunking on, I worked my way up to 9'5", which is worse than what I thought I could do, but has so far served as motivation to hit the gym hard tomorrow. I'm also adding jump squats to my squat rountine (sets of 10 with 30lbs right after each set of squatting), though I'll probably need more rest. Hopefully I can ride this impetus for about a month and get up to the 9'10" area. That would be great! Wish me luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 10:27 pm 

Quick note about my push press today, my third set was probably best, because though I was aiming for 8r, in my first set I dropped the weight too far forward, and had to stop at 7, and in the middle set I just didn't have it. For the final set I picked it up, and improved my form, I was able to do the reps consecutively, whereas I used to stop between them resting the weight on my chest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:08 pm 

News:
Dunked basketball on 9'6"! Getting close!
Dunked small soccer ball (can palm it) on 10', I think I may be able to dunk the basketball if I can train my hand to hold the ball.

Very happy that my few days off did not make a difference in my squatting ability. Also, my old high school's weight room just got a set of rubber weights, so friday I plan to squat, DL, and begin some CaJ/Snatch training.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:30 pm 

Today's workout was really just to try out the chains, and also to work on power (strength and speed). I'm looking forward to working with chains in the future, and in the squat too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:32 pm 

Without really going through your journal I was wondering what kind of overall scheme you were using on the deadlift.

Being that you have chains, I would recommend deadlifting with chains or box squatting with chains. I have found this to REALLY drive up the deadlift and possibly the squat(depending on how you squat).

If you pull deadlift more sumo then there will be more carryover from the box squats so if you pull conventional, then maybe just do the conventional DL with chains. Most people do say that it is best to train both styles even if you only do max attemps with one so that you work different muscles thoroughly.