ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:59 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Quote:
You are just under an hour as it is, are your nights that tight that 15mins is a deal breaker? I understand that, as it's a pain in the ass to get some lifts in, that is why my split gets more and more elaborate.

Probably not a deal breaker. I'm sure you looked at todays workout....I was just plain out of energy. Today was pretty intense and just had nothing at the end.....I will try again though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:31 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Eric,
I have some older programs from PLUSA that did just what you are desribing. You did your assistance upper back work worst, then some aux bench work, and finally hit your deadlift hard. The idea was to warm up the upper body, leave lower alone, and finish off with DL's. Mind you, this was from back in 96, dawn and Gregg Resschell (I'm sure Kenny knew them), but it seems to hold water.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:52 pm 

jps wrote:

Probably not a deal breaker. I'm sure you looked at todays workout....I was just plain out of energy. Today was pretty intense and just had nothing at the end.....I will try again though.

I hate to pimp their products, but Spike and Surge really do help that. I didn't expect it to be this good, but it is. Don't expect to go to bed early though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:54 pm 

TimD wrote:
Eric,
I have some older programs from PLUSA that did just what you are desribing. You did your assistance upper back work worst, then some aux bench work, and finally hit your deadlift hard. The idea was to warm up the upper body, leave lower alone, and finish off with DL's. Mind you, this was from back in 96, dawn and Gregg Resschell (I'm sure Kenny knew them), but it seems to hold water.
Tim

eh, Will ya look at that.

It seems like a logical approach to me, I guess it sort of is...

I'm curious if anyone is having any success with it now? Hmmm I might have to look into that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:30 am 

I noticed the comment about needing longer dumbbell handles. I'm not sure that they make them very long, but you can get iron pipe that is pretty close to 1" outside diameter. Pipe is (as I recall from my long-ago days wording in a hardware store) designated by it's inside diameter, so I think the pipe you want is 3/4". You could always take a small weight along to the hardware store.

A lot of cheap dumbbell handles come with little collars that are secured with a set screw that has a right-angles handle on it. You could replace that screw with a hex-head screw, put the collars on the pipe facing outward and screw the set screw down really tight. Then use spring collars on the outside.

I'm just thinking, I haven't tried it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:06 pm 

Just looking over a little bit of your training, I noticed you reduced the # of sets on some of your big lifts (Squats, bench, etc) from what they were a couple of weeks ago. Are you still making good progress with just 2-3 sets? I've been thinking I might want to up my sets here eventually but I don't know bout how much energy I would have for 5 sets of squating or deadlifting unless that's all I did in one day...lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:49 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I cut back for a several reasons.......mainly because I have been taking too much time off due to work, travel, and just plain too much partying. Today was good for me because I hit 5 reps on the two big lifts today. I will be adding another set to bench and squat next workout. And probably do a set of 205 on squat to get that progressing again.....my legs are terribly weak....lol.

Have I made progress with less work? I think so....I mean I have gotten back to where I left of weeks ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:49 pm 

I was just gonna give you a hard time about not putting more weight on the bar for squats...

You are getting as bad as me. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:14 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

lol

I swear I have wuss legs.

But I WILL do 205 next push day.....I WILL.... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:59 pm 

jps wrote:
lol

I swear I have wuss legs.

But I WILL do 205 next push day.....I WILL.... :lol:

Going for a single I bet you are higher than that!

205 won't suck until about half way through set 2.

You'll smoke it though, I just know it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:00 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Thanks for the vote of confidence....means a lot.

I'm pretty psyched about tomorrows workout....I must be crazy to be thinking about it 24 hours beforehand.....lol. I will sleep well tonight, eat like a horse tomorrow, and have espresso before my workout....hahahaha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:49 pm 

Score man. Good work

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:57 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Thanks man....I'm pretty jazzed. I was talking to myself the whole time...lol. Even yelled a "yeah" at the end. I hope I broke the stall....I feel like I did.

Just an observation of things----I have been noticing now who in the crowd works out.....and I was talking to a doctor yesterday (did some work in his office) and I could tell he works out pretty hard. Big chest, traps, big arms.....but when he walked away, I see his legs.....unreal skinny. So skinny he probably can't walk on the beach without sinking.....lol. I see a lot of guys like that these days. Maybe more motivation for me. I mean I don't have skinny legs by any means....just weak. But still makes me want to work my legs even harder.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:38 pm 

Yeah, legs are a lot of work. A lot of people don't do them.

I am starting to think that most people don't want to do hard work, ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:03 pm 

Quote:
Never moved that much weight before. So the scream of "fv(k YEAH!" could probably be heard for a block or more. green

It's the best feeling in the world man.

Congrats... That is awesome work.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next