ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Short Biceps
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:45 pm 
I have been weight training for 2 years now and loving it. I have found this site really useful for information and as a guide for someone new to weight training.

Prior to joining at the gym aI used a set of dumbbells at home and did basic bicep curls with no proper direction or program. I think this may have done more harm than good. My biceps are now really defined but really short. I stopped doing biceps at the gym to allow the othe muscles to catch up.

Is there a specific excersize I can do that will work the lower portion of the bicep - by that I mean the end closest to my elbow?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:20 am 

This is genetic.

The muscle will peak where it is meant to peak, all you can really do is make the whole thing bigger but chances are it will not change where the peak is and if the insertion is from the elbow, it will always be far from the elbow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:39 am 
n00b
n00b

i agree. you probably have found the same thing with your calf muscles also. some people have muscles that cover their whole lower leg, others have a golf ball which is found just below the knee.

it's genetics i'm afraid - and no amount of weight training is going to change that with any pleasing degree - barring miracles. but good luck.

you could try an exercise called bicep 21s. which involves a bicep curl split into 3-stages. firstly do 7 reps with the barbell but don't let it drop below your elbow, the second stage is without rest and involves a curl from the hip up to the elbow, and finally again without dropping the barbell, seven reps with a full curl.

do two sets of these twice a week incorporated into your existing routine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:18 pm 
Remember that you should be stretching before and after workouts, that could be why your bicep appears to be shorter.

Post subject: Rachel
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:39 am 
DELETED

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]