ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:24 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... weeks.html

The tone of the title of this thread is like that because you can't accurately say the diet was the cause. I'm sure the diet never helped or may of even contributed. I guess with the amount of people who do crash diets these days, you're bound to get some fatalities as a result of the law of averages anyway.

I do despise crash diets like this. This diet-in-question as a business makes a fortune as well. I've always found it amazing that so many people can go on diets of 500-ish calories per day for weeks or months and not get ill (or worse). The immune system must be screwed. Where do the nutrients come from? It's just asking for it.

Very sad story.

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:31 am 

that is a sad story. People don't seem to realise they actually need a certain amount of calories to live.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:26 am 

What riles me more than the people that think it are the people that teach it. The so called health professionals are, in general, a joke. I don't know if its in that article or the version I read in another paper but one 'nutritionist' had said something like, "very low calorie diets are only suitable for the clinically obese, with a BMI over 30, after being cleared by their GP, and for a short amount of time - no more than 12 weeks".

Let's think about that for a minute. Being that fat makes you more at risk for, well, practically every illness under the sun, but particularly heart related illnesses and diabetes (which in turn makes you more 'at risk'). Yet, stupidly low calorie diets are MORE SUITED to people who are MORE AT RISK?

The worlds goin' mad. It's really sad. These so called 'health EXPERTS' are the one's who reach the biggest audience, too. They always comment on mainstream news, which attracts a mainstream audience.

I could go on about it forever. My dad has a 'nutritionist' and sometimes I almost lose it at the crap he comes out with. In my opinion, they haven't helped him at all.

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:40 pm 

yeah i agree, my girlfriend's always on about losing weight, and I try and be as supportive as I can. I agreed to diet with her, not that I have any fat to lose (VERY lean i am), i figured cutting down on rubbish and carbs shouldn't hurt as long as I kept protein high, fats high etc etc etc

problem is when I recommend this diet (or lifestyle) I'm not a certified dietician so why should anyone listen to me? I'm just a skinny guy who's never had to watch his weight in his life, so in the face of mainstream health "professionals" my opinion severely lacks credibility.

Bah! What does it matter that society is listening to these chimps and getting fatter than ever? They're on the telly, how can they be wrong? Telly wouldn't lie...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:12 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

It makes me want to become a Dietician, just to prove them wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:49 pm 

don't do it Jebus, keep your soul pure

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:17 pm 

No Jebus, don't sell out!

This girl lost 42# in 11 weeks and went from 37%bf to 32%. That means that she lost 26# fat and 16# muscle. That's 1.5# of muscle loss per week over the 11 weeks. It's no wonder she had a heart attack. How much of that came from her heart? Do you think she was doing any strength training? Maybe she did have an undiagnosed problem with her heart since birth, maybe lots of people do. Maybe this diet was just the trigger. That doesn't mean she would have died anyway. Anyone losing more than a couple pound/wk should seriously look at what it's doing to their body. "The Biggest Loser" is really the biggest loser and the expert doctor (Dr Scurr) at the end of this article is an a$$#0le.

I think this guy got it right.
Quote:
Professor John Garrow, a retired obesity and nutrition expert, blamed Miss Callaghan's death on her rapid weight loss and yesterday told the Daily Mail he was against 'prolonged' diets of less than 800 calories a day.
He described Miss Clowe's rate of weight loss as 'too fast' and said the effect of following such a very low calorie plan was that the heart 'wasted away.'
He said the effects depended 'on how much weight you lose and how quickly you lose it', but the heart of someone who is starving is eventually 'reduced to a stage at which it can no longer adequately perform what it is there for, namely pumping the blood and you get these disorders of rhythm.'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:50 pm 

That's the problem with our society- when it comes to authority figures, we're either too inclined to believe whatever comes out of their mouths, or you have conspiracy nuts never believe a word that's said. There's hardly any middle ground. Same is true with these dieticians. Most Americans (not sure about other countries) know less about their own bodies than anything else in their lives, so its no wonder there isn't many skeptics of mainstream health authorities in our society.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:26 pm 

I think most people realize that starving yourself is bad for you. Unfortunately, many are willing to risk there health for vanity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:59 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

lol I was just joking, I would only do it, then go against what everyone says. Then eat 2 pounds of ground beef at a convention lol