ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:18 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Well, sort of - i'm assuming you mean the lifter and not the trainer - but there's some politics involved.

After he done his hitched set he came back over to talk, which is normal. I just said, "well, if it works for - trainers name - then who can argue, but, it's not something I would do. I plan, sometime, to compete, in which case a hitched lift is a missed lift". He seemed unphased, which is fine. I see stuff all the time that makes me cringe so I just learn to ignore it. However I also said, "I can't help but wonder where the stress goes, you know, if the muscles that should be pulling the bar up have given up... The stress has got to go somewhere, probably just your spine, you know...". He just said, "that's why I wear the belt". These conversations could take up half my workout so I just leave it. The belt thing is another post/topic altogether!

As for the politics. You may be aware i'm currently getting certified. Well, I actually hope to work in the gym I train in at first, and, 'said trainer' is actually the HEAD TRAINER. I actually really like him, btw (difference between dislike and disagree). I train with him quite a lot but, obviously, we have a lot of differences in opinion lol. I've done the first course and passed. Since then, this trainer-in-question has been very keen to help me out, and keen to employ me. It's a long story how this happened but i'm very grateful. In short, the outcome is, the next course I need to do costs a fortune (NASM). 3x the amount of the one i've just done, which knocked me on my a$$ for a while. However, doing it 'through' my gym, means it costs A THIRD of the price, plus you end up with access to potential clients etc. So, he's currently trying to get me in to a part time spot, so I can do the next cert through the gym, and, save [1 million dollars]/$1600! It might not happen, but i'm very grateful either way.

Therefore, I tend to not stick my neck out too much! We do have a bit of fun. I take a bit of abuse because of all the strange rehab/prehab type things I do, but it's all lighthearted and respectfull, and I get my own back in various ways.

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:12 pm 

You've never hitched a pull? Really?

I ramp em up my thighs all the time, when I'm fatigued ha ha.

What do you just drop the bar if you can't lock it out clean?

I never hitched until I hit 405 and have been playing around in the 400's. Now I do occasionally. It is still a legit lift in strongman correct if you hitch?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:33 pm 

I never have. It didn't ever occur to me until I read this thread. If I can get a DL to my knees I can lock it out, at least so far. My sticking point is in the first few inches of the pull.

I agree with KPj about danger to low back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:51 pm 

From 405/455lbs and up I'm weak getting my hips through.

I wish I could lock out anything I could beak from the floor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:09 am 

What sucks is that the new 24 hour gyms which are opening up around my place are HALF the price of Fitness First where I go, but when I went and checked one out, it turns out they only have machines and DBs "for health and safety reasons" (no olympic bars).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:31 pm 

Han wrote:
What sucks is that the new 24 hour gyms which are opening up around my place are HALF the price of Fitness First where I go, but when I went and checked one out, it turns out they only have machines and DBs "for health and safety reasons" (no olympic bars).

DBs are good (depending on how of weight high they go), except it limits a lot of leg work, but no barbells is ridiculous. I think we should open our own gym and say machines aren't allowed "for health and safety reasons". Just Barbell, Dumbell, and well, maybe some cables. And we have a big sign where the cardio equipment saying "If you want cardio, you don't need to pay money at this gym, just go outside dummy." Seriously if they didn't have cardio equipment, gyms could substanstially lower their prices. I don't think it costs much money for repair costs on 45 lb plates.

Does anyone else on here do an entirely barbell-based workout? That's all my folk's basement has (and its free). Well aside a pull up bar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:11 pm 

That's the way I started out Rucifer - nothing but barbells.

I say you just put a CARDIO ROOM sign in front of the back exit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:51 am 

nygmen wrote:

I never hitched until I hit 405 and have been playing around in the 400's. Now I do occasionally. It is still a legit lift in strongman correct if you hitch?

Nope, never hitched. When I fail, I drop the bar/set it down as controlled as I can. I hardly ever fail though, doesn't happen much at all (can't remember the last time I failed). I've also not done a true 1RM test in well over 6 months so that's probably why i've not failed recently. I actually had never seen a hitched lift until this new guy (who is strong as hell) came to my gym and done it a couple of times. After that, it's started to become more popular. I had actually never even seen anyone use a blatant bounce between reps either, or hitch, until this point, despite going to see a few PL competitions and training for a while in a PL club....

I can understand why it would happen if you're going for a 1RM. You need to get yourself mega-focused on just getting the dam weight up, no matter what, so I can see why you would resort to hitching if you stall... I would never actually train it though. I have this debate all the time with a 620lbs deadlifter though, so, each to their own, can't argue with 620lbs...

My weak point was off the floor for about the first year that I started deadlifting but then it went about mid shin. Lockouts always not been a problem but I put that down to the amount of sumo-style pulling I do (more hips involved). Although I only just started pulling conventional again and i'm not sure it it's still mid shin. Deffinitly slowed down around mid-shin but remained slow(er) right up to lock out.

As for strongman - i'm not all that well versed on the rules of strong man but aren't the deadlift events normally done holding on to handles? i.e. no bar in front of you (kind of like a trap bar), so it woudn't be possible to hitch if that were the case... The ones i've seen, it's just holding onto handles sticking out a truck or trailer and they load barrels onto it after every rep....

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:58 am 

Han wrote:

I've been in the odd gym like this. Very frustrating. I remember one place, I asked the trainer there, "any Olympic bars??". He said no and I sighed and then he said, "surely you don't need more than the fixed 45". That's a fixed bar with 45kg/100lbs. I just froze. I just done pull ups with db's between my feet for about 45 minutes then left. Actually had quite a good workout.

Basically they're trying to keep serious lifters out of the gym. It's not necessarily a bad thing, good business model when you think about it. A real pain in the a$$ though when you go into a place like that.

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:38 am 

The following article sucks. It's about a danish study which concluded that larger thighs may protect you from heart disease, and, therefore, smaller thighs made you more at risk.

crickets chirping......

See, it's not a particularly disgraceful article or conclusion. The thing that frustrates me is the stupid way they look at things.

"Professor Heitmann's team says the risk of narrow thighs could be associated with too little muscle mass.

They say this can lead to the body not responding to insulin properly, increasing the risk of type 2 diabetes and, in the long-run, heart disease. "

NO! Really? So really thigh size pretty much has nothing to do with it and body fat and lean mass percentage would be more relevant than the actual size of the dam thigh. Maybe? Hand me my PHD please.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8236384.stm

As I said it's not all that controversial or even all THAT stupid but it's just extremely frustrating reading mainstream health information. Not to mention, these people carried out a 10-12 year study and THAT'S what they came up with? What will happen in another 12 years? Will they conclude that egg yolks aren't the devil? Give it 20 years and they might even tell us that Fat isn't neccessarily stored as fat and therefore, low fat diets might not be optimal.

Had to vent.

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:29 pm 

Contender for weirdest first post ever?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:03 am 

nygmen wrote:

i've never hitched either. hell, i thought "hitched" meant some kind of straps or something.

if i can pick it up i can lock it out. that being said i'm only deadlifting 320lbs for reps right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:45 pm 

xshawnxearthx wrote:
nygmen wrote:

i've never hitched either. hell, i thought "hitched" meant some kind of straps or something.

if i can pick it up i can lock it out. that being said i'm only deadlifting 320lbs for reps right now.

Yeah, I didn't run into issues getting my hips through until 405+

Good work on your progress man, by the way. Hows it feel to be stronger than you were yesterday?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:56 pm 

it feels great. i did dl 360 a few weeks back, but the next week i tweaked my back and decided to go a little slower and really get it together. i'm hoping to be deadlifting body weight friday.

everything is really coming together as far as lifting is concerned. now if i could only get the rest of my life on track. ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:37 pm 

xshawnxearthx wrote:
it feels great. i did dl 360 a few weeks back, but the next week i tweaked my back and decided to go a little slower and really get it together. i'm hoping to be deadlifting body weight friday.

everything is really coming together as far as lifting is concerned. now if i could only get the rest of my life on track. ;-)
You mean 360 isn't body weight? How big are you?