ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:30 pm 

Ok so I am sort of wondering how this situation is going to play out...my buddy and I just moved into a townhouse and we already had a huge problem with our next door neighbor. We have 4 parking spots between the two places, and we get two and he gets two. Well yesterday I had rode my bike to work and my buddy was home, so our cars were in our spots, and I guess he had two friends come over who didn't know they weren't allowed to park in the neighbors spots and parked in them. And our next door neighbor came home shortly thereafter and pounded on our door and got in my roomy's face before my roomy even had a chance to explain the situation and was threatening and swearing and blah blah blah. We both agreed (me and the roomy) we could understand him being a little annoyed at the situation and maybe even a little snippy, but all he had to do was come over and say something and we would have moved the cars. Anyhow, I doubt this will be the last problem we have with the guy because we talked to a neighbor who said he used to fight with the previous tenant all the time. Here's what I am curious about-

1. Could the landlord kick him out of his place for these sorts of troubles?

2. Could we get out of our lease because of this obvious violent and ill tempered neighbor?

3. Any other advice you feel like giving...

Because my roomy is a really passive guy and didn't really do much when this dude was talking smack, but if I had been there I would have decked him. I don't particularly care for this situation to present itself though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:21 pm 

Dude, neighbors suck.

Buy the guy a beer, and talk to him like a rational adult about your plans for the term of your lease. Try and make friends. Be the bigger man. If he still acts like an indignant prick, insult his intelligence in a snide way, and urinate in his bushes at 2am. :lol:

Ultimately don't park in his spot, because dependent upon your condo association you could end up screwed. I lived in complexes that just told people to move, complexes that towed cars within 15 mins, and complexes that gave me a $25 fine for being within 6 inches of his spot. (Which I laughed in the guys face, ripped it up and left under the neighbor's windshield wiper.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:24 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

If he lays one finger on any of you, thats basically assault.

If he goes crazy again, this time for no good reason, just call the police, might as well put your taxes to use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:08 am 

I used to be in property management. The tenancy rules change depending on where you live as it's usually a municipal act that governs it. You should check with your local tanancy office. You should speak to the building manager and let him know that there was a problem. You may not be able to get an eviction unless the police press charges but a threat or repeated harrasment are also charable offenses. He doesn't have to physically touch anyone. If you make a complaint and your landlord doesn't take action, that is usually grounds for terminating your lease. Again, check with the tenancy board because there are procedures to be followed.

You should talk to the landlord first. Then try diplomacy with the tenant if you think its safe. Engage the police if you need to. Read your local tenancy act.

Above all, don't get physical or retaliate against him as it will surely backfire and land you in trouble.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:22 am 

Your knowledge amazes me Stuward.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:35 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I'm a landlord. But i'm in Scotland, laws and things vary from country to country.

Rucifer wrote:
1. Could the landlord kick him out of his place for these sorts of troubles?

It's difficult to legally kick out a tennant. Very difficult actually. It depends on the tenancy agreement, too, you need to look at the terms of that. The legal system is so screwed up that anything can happen if your sharp enough. In general, over here, some kind of crap needs to be going on for atleast a few months before you can turn up with police and tell them to leave.

Rucifer wrote:
2. Could we get out of our lease because of this obvious violent and ill tempered neighbor?

I would go with what Stuward said. You need to find out exactly what you signed. You also deffinitly need to report it. If there's no record of you reporting any previous incident, then there's no record of anyone doing anything that might be considered wrong.

Rucifer wrote:
3. Any other advice you feel like giving...

Speak to the landlord. If it were me, I would go talk to him myself. I only have one property that I rent out but all the neighbours have my mobile phone number. I know most of them personally. If there's a problem with my tenant, i'll know. If the tenant has a problem with one of the neighbours, I wouldn't hesitate in knocking their door and having a chat. I can tell you for sure though that i'm not like most landlords but, it's deffinitly worth a try.

Also, do what nygmen said. People like that are often on the back foot when you catch them, say hi and shake their hand. Ask them if they want to come in for a coffee/beer/whatever. Bring up the situation and say your friends didn't know any better but they do now, and if there's any other problems, just give you a shout. If he doesn't bite then forget it. Atleast you tried. Most neighbourly fueds are just silly.

Our next door neighbour is a real bitch. Sounds harsh but she really is. We had a BBQ and she complained about the noise, even though we invited her and it's probably the only noise we've made in 6 months. Because nothing happened (sort of!), she's been raging ever since. She tries to make loads of noise early in the morning and things like that to annoy us. Most people on the street dislike her for similar reasons. Everytime I see her I ask her how she's doing, hows the house, etc. I know she hates it, but it amuses me and it makes it easy to live with. I think the only reason it goes on still is because my g/f can't let it go. She's raging about the whole thing. I could care less. I brought her bins in for her the other day just to rub salt in the wound. Sometimes revenge is best served with a smile.

KPj

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:43 pm 

KPj wrote:
Sometimes revenge is best served with a smile.

KPj

Dude, so flippin true...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:04 pm 

Thanks for the advice guys. Luckily, nothing again has happened yet. I get the feeling stuff will only happen when he drinks his "liquid courage" and expects real life to be an episode of Maury or something. Makes me wish pot was legal and alcohol was outlawed, cause I think violence statistics would drop dramatically. Course, the selling of Funyons and Twinkies would go up significantly :green: