ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:14 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

EDT, do some research o type IIA and IIB fibers. They are both fast twitch, however, one is neural (drops out in 6-10 seconds) and the other is more prone to hypertropjy, or a trype of strength = endurance, failing at around 45-75 seconds. Slow twitch (type I) are endurance only. I keep getting the type I's and II's confused, but a search will give you a good reference on both
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:01 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Actually I was talking about leaving the reps the same. Just lowering the load to make up for more volume. I agree on more sets with lower reps. I just disagree on 8 sets to failure.

I tend to be the opposite of Ryan. At 80% I could get 12.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:32 pm 

Well, I have never been able to get good numbers in the squat and deadlifts for reps but might have a better chance with upper body.

As far as I know, fiber composition is local in that you can be fast twitch with some muscles and slow twitch with others.

I also confess I mostly train at lower reps so even if I started out with average white fibers, I could hypertrophy those quite a bit and thus have more strength with them.

Not sure, just wanted to comment as I saw some good poitns being made both directions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:43 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yea That seems right. On calf raises and shrugs, if I can do it more then once, I can do it at least 8 times. I could probably do 14 on those lifts at 80%. Most things it's 12 though. I have trained mostly in the 6 to 8 range. I have done everything from 1 to 15 though.

I experimented with low reps, because many people had good gains with that. Anything below 6 doesn't work for me though. I do have a neurological issue, so that might explain why I didn't at least get some strength from it.

Supposedly I'm the type of guy that would gain the most with 10-12. I'm skeptical as I've gained so well with 6-8. I'm going to try it for a couple weeks and see. I haven't really gone that high since I was a begginner.