Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:54 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Well ..
I dont even know if people read this .
Im kinda just keepin it for myself to see how much I improve.

But it would be great if some1 experienced would read what im doing and maybe comment on it and tell me what i can do better.
Or simply tell me I'm doin good if he thinks so :) .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:50 pm 

Believe me, People do actually read the Journals. And Make comments if you ask for them. I have received a lot of help from my Journal Discussion Thread.

I know you have another thread in General concerning this, But you have significantly changed the Starting Strength (SS) Template/Program.

Not Currently doing DL's, adding DB Incline Press, and doing Rows instead of the Power Cleans..

My Suggestion for the DL's.. Learn them. You may want to start with a Romanian Deadlift, then work on Depth. I would bet your back is hurting due to rounding and to much weight. The back is likely rounding due to a flexibility issue. By lowering the weight and adding depth to the RDL's, you are actually teaching yourself how to Deadlift.

I understand the desire to want to do "More" Direct Chest and Arm work. But, Rippetoe does not recommend adding that accessory initially. If you do still feel the need to Add accessory work, make sure it is after the "Big 3" Lifts are done for the day. Odds are if you are squatting heavy, Benching Heavy, and DL/RDL'ing Heavy, you will not have much energy left to want to do accessory work. :)

Try the Power Cleans... The First pull from the floor is basically a Light Deadlift, this will help you learn to Deadlift. Then the Jump shrug is just brutal on the upper body. Great lift/exercise. None of the Rows I have done come even close to working the body like a Power Clean. That being said, when I first started doing SS, I did the ROW also. I really wish I would have started out and just done the Power Cleans. I feel it would have really helped me with a lot of my lifts.

Good Luck and Have fun.
Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:35 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Yeah I know..
I have just heard so many times something like
,,If you do it wrong you will ruin your back forever"
,,you have to be careful or you will ruin your back"

And all this bull$h1t.. And It has really made me scared to exersices like squats , deadlifts , powercleans and more.
I think i squat pretty good tho .

Im only 16 years old , and maybe I'm a pussy for this , but i want to be pretty save .
I love weight lifting , and I love all the progress i have made , but well .. yeah .. some exersices just scare the $h1t out of me.

Wish i had a coach , or just some1 lifting with me that really knows what he is doing.
Im lifting with my 2 friends and they are on the same page as me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:02 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Just don't let your ego take over your workouts. If you feel your form going wrong, stop the set and finish, or decrease the weight for th next one. Technique is everything, especially at the start. Any bad habbits you 'learn' now will carry on as you start building strength and that's when your ego takes over and that's when pain happens. The beginner stage is mostly about learning the movements - you don't need to kill yourself to get stronger, especially at this stage.

Also, it's very unlikely that you'll be lifting and one day, BANG, a joint just 'goes'. Most of the time the pain starts off just a little niggle, then is ignored for a while, then it gets worse until it's a real problem. If you just listen to your body/use common sense, any problems will be caught early enough to stop it becoming a real problem. It seems simple, but one of the hardest things to do is 'back off' when your training, even in the presence of pain. I'm a prime example. Well, I was.

I also go by the philosophy of 'use it or lose it'. If you do something, you risk getting hurt. If you do nothing, you risk getting hurt. Not now but in a few years. Inactivity in my view is one of the biggest problems people have these days. Atleast if your doing something, you can get to know your body and get stronger and healthier and, if any problems arise, you can just deal with it.

Any lift that you fear or hate is generally the lift you should be doing the most. It's just the irony of training. Lastly, in a typical commercial/mainstream gym, the advice is normally pretty poor. A good rule is to do the opposite of what you see everyone else doing. In a commercial gym, I reckon maybe 5% of people actually mae progress consistently.

Happy Lifting!

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:19 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks Kpj.
Really good advices there.
I deadlifted today :) You can read about it in my journal.

But anyway i posted a question in my journal thread , about my bench pressing .
Would be nice if you cheked it and answeared it(:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:22 pm 

I'm glad to see you are deadlifting. I was actually going to suggest just asking people who you see doing it well.

Bench press - I'd go 62.5 next workout, but maybe take an extra 30 seconds to one minute rest. Just a bit longer than you do now between sets. That way you know you're really ready to take it. You aren't trying to keep your body revved up between sets, just trying to get in 3 heavy sets of 5. If that takes a bit of extra rest, so be it. You're going for strength after all and a bit of extra rest to get a heavier weight up is the way to go there IMO.