ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Food
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:14 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Anyone have a sample food plan to eat throughout the day for someone trying to lose weight, but working out also.

The only thing Im doing now is:

Milk/Cereal in morning at 7am

coffee at 9am (Not always)

sandwich + fruit at 12pm

nutrigrain bar 3pm

5:30 creatine (pre workout)

7pm protein shake (post workout)

8-9pm snack before bed

Anything I should add/remove?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:14 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD

Well, I really can't tell as you weren't terribly descriptive on the snack before bed, and what type of sandwhich or cereal (most of the dry stuff is full of sugar and other additives). That being said, I don't think it's optimal at all.
Check out the Nutrition section here on the site, plus these links, they pretty much spell it out, and it's not just some passing popular diet, it's based on common sense and biochemistry.
http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nut ... habits.htm
http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nut ... ting_2.htm
The 7 truths articles breaks it down generally, lots of wiggle room in there, and the leaneating gives the whys (there is an internal link to part 1).
Good training.

Post subject: Re: Food
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:31 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Sorry Ill be more specific:

1 bowl Special K + skim milk

coffee

Turkey + cheese on bread

Nutrigrain bar

After workout - Myoplex protein shake

Snack after - maybe some chicken, fruit, yogurt, etc.

The article basically tells me my bread and cereal is not a great idea. Ive been thiking of going back to my hardcore tuna-can every 3-4 hours like I did in the marines long ago to lose weight and keep my protein up! I need foods that are easy to make and portable, but I dont eat veggies just fruits for supplementation to meals. Hope this helps to be more specific as I try to analyze myself what I should be doing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:42 pm 

More than 3 cans of tuna per week is definately not healthy. The mercury content is too high to consume as much as you seem to be pondering.

Also, Nutrigrain bars are, for the most part, junk. You would be better off with a banana and some sort of nut; plain almonds etc.

As this is your pre workout meal you might try a slightly larger volume of food to have a decent workout. I know you are trying to lose weight but you can still ose weight eating a good volume of food.

Cutting out all the junk and adding healthy stuff will probably keep you energized because the food just is Not as hard on the body and you can still be eating fewer overall calories, fat, carbs, etc.

Cheese is not the greatest idea either, depending on what type it is. I dont really see a problem with eating a sandwich every day if the bread is whole wheat.

Just some thoughts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:51 pm 

Well, I don't know if you have to go hard core protein only, I've been there and done that, and it doesn't bother me in the least, but I think it's much healthier to add in fruits and veg. If you must eat bread, get some good stuff rather than that fluffy white sandwhich stuff, that is basically garbage. A good substitute are those whole wheat lowered carb toritilla's you can get your hands on, and make a roll up out of it with turkey, cheese if you must, lettuce. tomoatoe and haul it and a piece of fruit with you and you have a good substitute. The before bed snack looks good as is. Eggs are quick and easy to scramble up in a microwave in the morning, and a good protein source, as is cottage cheese. The special K is one of the few dry cereals that seems to fit the nutritional bill fine, I just prefer the hot stuff, like oatmeal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:28 am 
Novice
Novice

There isn't a lot of proof with the mercury levels in the tuna. It could be high but people don't know. Unless Nunya is pregnant... :)
I hear about pretty much every kind of fish being polluted by something. Of course its always on the sensationalism part of the news, or from this animals rights chick I know. Please.... I'd be dead by now really, or at least glowing green and full of tumors.

In addition to the good advice above, just stay away from sugars and starches in general. You don't want to spike your insulin with that stuff. It is stored to easily as fat and is a very efficent fuel source. You want stuff that is hard to digest and produces les of an insulin respone. If you read labels you 'll why some "healthy" things are junk. Like nutragrain bars and many types of yogurt, tons of sugar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:55 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I bought some almonds to snack with my fruits for the "protein" area but I noticed they don't have that much protein compared to other things, but a TON of fat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:09 am 
Novice
Novice

The fat they have is the kind you want to be eating. Don't get hung up on fat. That was really a 1980's fad that proved to be false. In fact, if you don't have a problem with LDL cholesterol level, I wouldn't give fat content a second thought. Once you get what you eat in line, maintain an appropriate calorie level. In fact if you have a problem with you HDL/LDL ratio and or low HDL levels, I would advise MORE fat (of the unsaturated kind of course). Eat the almonds and other nuts. Get an oil and spice kit and eat some whole grain bread with olive or flax oil in place of butter or other condiments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:33 am 

Hey Nunya. Sonnygill hit it ight on the head when it comes to fat. I have never eaten much in the way of starches, and when the so called nutrition guru's came out with this low fat, low to moderate protein, high carb thing, pushing rice cakes and the rest of the low fat very processed stuff, the country became terribly obese. Just keep a few simple rules, lean protein, fibrous fruit and veg with some whole grains, and some fat from decent sources; i.e. olives, nuts, olive oils , avacadoes, etc. Don't go overboard withthe fats, but don't be afraid of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:49 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks for the clearup! It seems my old mind is still set to those days where low fat = best thing ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:49 pm 
Novice
Novice

Tim reminded me of 1 more thing. When it comes to fruit, berries are your friend. Learn to love them. They have little sugar, and lots of fiber and micronutirents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:55 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I've been using bananas. They are easy for me to eat and carry around any time!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:23 am 
Rookie
Rookie

hey!

I haven't seen anyone mention Hard Boiled EGGS!

I think they are the perfect snack. FULL of great things. The bad cholesterol/egg link has pretty much been debunked, they are a great source of protein, low in calories, and easy.

theincredibleedibleEGG.

don't forget them.

dian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:43 am 
Novice
Novice

Amen to that. I love hardboiled eggs. I eat a lot of eggs. I found a really cool idea in Mens Health Magazine last month regarding eggs. They call them "egg muffins". I really like them. You just grease a standard muffin pan. Then crack 1 egg into each cup. Then you can tear bits off of a turkey or chicken cold cut and maybe even some peppers and mix it around. Then put a little cheese on top and bake them at 350 for 13 to 15 minutes. They said you can freeze them in a ziplock bag. They don't last long enough to worry about freezing at my house though. I'd have to get more muffin tins.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:33 pm 

Hey, I love that idea. I was watching the kid's show Zoom on PBS, and they were in their cooking sigment, and they beat up a bunch of egs, threw little pieces of whatever they liked (in this sgment it was broccoli, ham, cheese and tomato) into the muffin holes, and poured egg over them, then threw it into the oven. Best hot right out of the oven, but also transportable.
Tim

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next