ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:24 am 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Most individuals don't realize that there are different types of grip strength. They often train use the wrong type of grip strength training to address their needs.

"How To Improve Your Grip Strength" goes into the three type of grip strength and how to train each.

http://www.bukisa.com/articles/65519_ho ... p-strength

Kenny Croxdale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:31 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

That's useful, thanks.

I found it odd that they don't consider extensor strength part of grip training - Ironmind even sells rubber bands for that. I just use the ones from my broccoli...and do rice digs.

If you grab lots of stuff it's really helpful to practice the reverse of the motion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:16 am 
Novice
Novice

pdellorto wrote:
That's useful, thanks.

I found it odd that they don't consider extensor strength part of grip training - Ironmind even sells rubber bands for that. I just use the ones from my broccoli...and do rice digs.

If you grab lots of stuff it's really helpful to practice the reverse of the motion.

My climbing instructor shared the same sentiment. He used to say how training the reverse of your grip is key to preventing injuries.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:07 am 

I know this is an old thread but I thought I would kick it back up.

I'm going to get me some grippers (Captain of Crush). Seems my supporting grip is good but crushing grip is not so good. I have no problem holding onto heavy DL's, Rows, Pull ups etc but I got owned with the grippers the other day.

I work in my gym now and the manager has the captain of crush #1 and #2. I can close #1 but no chance on the #2. He can get 3 reps with #2 and about 12 with #1 (you've probably guessed that the work ethic in the gym is second to none).

Anyone else have these grippers?

Video below is Magnus Samuelsson crushing a #4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfRfNJnNtok&NR=1

BTW there's not really any reason i'm working on this other than to try and get better at it. I just want skul crushing hand strength. OK actually I just hate getting beat at anything...

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:18 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

He stays mostly in isometric grip during that clip - how is that so different from statically holding an X pound barbell?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:05 pm 

frogbyte wrote:
He stays mostly in isometric grip during that clip - how is that so different from statically holding an X pound barbell?

He's not statically holding it, he's straining to close it. That last little bit on the CoC grippers is the hardest...you have the least leverage from the handles. The #4 takes about 365 pounds of crushing grip to close.

@KPj - yeah, I have the trainer (about 100 pounds) and #1 (about 145). I haven't tried to close the #1 recently but I never managed in the past. They are very solid grippers and very, very cool tools.

Just look into rice digs, they'll make your hands usable again after they turn into crabby gnarled claws after you grip the hell out of a CoC gripper for a while. Heh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:10 pm 

I'm pretty interested in getting one of those too, Pete how hard is the trainer?

I'd be gutted if I bought the number 1 and couldn't close it, but i'd also be gutted if i bought the trainer and it was easy...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm 

robertscott wrote:
I'm pretty interested in getting one of those too, Pete how hard is the trainer?

I'd be gutted if I bought the number 1 and couldn't close it, but i'd also be gutted if i bought the trainer and it was easy...

It's around 100 pounds to close.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:54 am 

pdellorto wrote:
Just look into rice digs, they'll make your hands usable again after they turn into crabby gnarled claws after you grip the hell out of a CoC gripper for a while. Heh.

Thanks for the tip, :lol: Sounds like i'll need them.

I couldn't believe how hard the #1 was. I seen the manager hammering out reps like it was nothing and just assumed I would manage the same. No chance. I failed to close it with my left/weaker hand the first couple of attempts, too.

I'm just going to order the #1 and i'll work on getting reps with it. The manager actually got 12 reps AFTER doing some 'singles' with #2...Freak of nature.... I guess it's always good to have someone around who will always make you feel weak, no matter how strong you get...

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:47 am 

hmm well by the sounds of it I doubt very much I'd get anywhere near closing a #1, and as for the trainer i don't really know if 100lbs would be easy or hard. What i might just do is buy the trainer and the one that's a step down from it so I can do a light/heavy kind of thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:09 pm 

I think the standard gripper found in most departments stores are about 40 to 60 lbs so they're pretty useless as a transition to the trainer. The minimum standard on the Cdn military test is a combined hand grip of 75Kg. That translate to about 83 lbs per hand. Nobody ever fails the test for hand grip strength. If that's the minimum, most men that weight train should be able to close the trainer with a little effort. I wouldn't bother with anything lighter than that. By the time you get to 20 reps on the trainer, you can probably close the #1.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:52 pm 

hmmm ok then I'll not waste my time with anything lighter than the trainer

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]