ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Forearm pain
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:54 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

In my forearm, I've had this lingering pain for almost a month now. It kind fo feels like a soreness pain, but a bit more painful than it should be.

What worries me is that it hasn't recovered by now. Is it possible that there might be a slight stress fracture or anything like that? What can I do about it? What's the cheapest way to get it checked out?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:02 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yes, it could be a stress fracture. It's also possible to get 'shin splints' in your forearms, especially if you're practicing all those break dancing moves. If it's the latter, stretching and ibuprofering will help it. Otherwise, see a doctor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:30 am 
n00b
n00b

Do some strengthening exercises for your forearms. Also stretching and iceing will help considerably. Try these few things first, then try anti-inflammatories, see a doctor and have some x-rays if it continues to disturb you.

I perform one arm reverse and normal wrist curls with 15 pound dumbells on a flat bench. I also perform some sought of gripping exercises with squeezes, and also rotating a long shaft weight (eg a hammer) in a pendulum like movement (180 degrees) at the end of a bench will also work wonders in preventing forearm pain. If you got your pain from weight training, then chances are you are using too much weight or neglecting proper form, or simply don't have enough strength within your forearms. Don't negelect forearms as I did for years relying on anti inflammatory tablets to get me through my weight sessions when my forearms kept on flarring up from pure weakness in that area. I think they are one of the most negelected muscle groups in weight trainers!

Even though I only train forearms once a week for about 45mins on their own, I never miss the session because I know the importance of it and I don't want to go back to the days of pain when on a lat pulldown machine for example, trying to train my back, my forearms would start fatigueing before my lats and other back muscles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:38 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'm not exactly sure if it is my forearm.

Sorry for the misleading title.

Let me put it this way.

Put your elbow on the table, with the fleshy side of your palm on the table (pinky finger is closest to the table). The part that is giving me pain is the area that is a spot on your arm that is touching the table. It is between the elbow and the hand. It is not located on the muscle part of the forearm. Rather, it is directly on the bone.

Is it time to make an appointment for a doctor?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:44 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

IMHO, the time for at least a consult was when you first noticed it. I'm a big believer that when pain is experienced, go to a professional, get some opinions.
Tim