ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:36 pm 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Stability training with such items as the BOSU Ball have very little place in training health individuals. However, they do have a place in rehabilitation.

Stability training with such devices is more of a cult. Reasoning with those individuals is impossible.

In "Training Disasters" by Tony Gentilcore, below, he explains why there is little value in using these devices with health individuals. www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do;jsessio ... id=1785278

By training on an unstable surface you're shooting yourself in the foot in a few ways.

1. You'll burn fewer calories. You won't be able to use nearly as much weight on an unstable surface as you would on a stable surface performing the same exercise. Burning calories (and hence, fat) is all about progressive resistance/overload (stressing the body). BOSU balls and the like are inferior in this regard.

2. You will actually make yourself weaker. Gaining strength is all about force production (i.e. being able to transfer force from the ground up). By training on an unstable surface, you're promoting "leaks" and really limiting the amount of force you can generate in any given exercise. For athletes, this is crucial.

Additionally, unstable surface training undermines all three phases of the stretch-shortening cycle (SSC), especially the amortization phase. Using devices such as BOSU balls actually delays the amortization phase. From an athletic standpoint, one seeks to minimize this phase as much as possible to prevent loss of a significant amount of the energy accumulated and stored as a result of the preloading (eccentric) phase.

3. Core Strength? Please don't be that person who claims that unstable surface training is great for training the core. I can have someone do the same movement on a stable surface and activate the "core" just as much.

4. Safety. On more than one occasion I've seen people fall and injure themselves while performing exercises on an unstable surface. For example, squatting on a SWISS ball. Every time I see someone attempt this, I cringe. Free-weight exercises have been proven safe when performed on stable surfaces, but there isn't much data out there which showcases the efficacy of unstable surface training in regards to safety.

Kenny Croxdale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:46 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'll second that. Great post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:29 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Good post. One of my relatives exercises on one of those vibrating boards...I'd been assuming it was having no positive effect, but I didn't realize it might be having a negative one. I'll have to look into this more. Thanks.

Peter

PS - Why is this under announcements? Shouldn't it be a training tools discussion?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:23 am 

Couldn't agree more.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:34 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Swiss Balls do have one virtue: When females use them for crunches and dumbbell work, it can be especially inspiring to a guy resting between his sets in the free-weight area. Unstable surfaces = Ass-a-nine!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:23 pm 
n00b
n00b

I have used one and would like to say in the aspect of weight lifting no they don't have a place but as far as balance and agility they are a great aid this last year I had an issue wheere I totally lost all of my balance on one side and had to re train it and the bosu ball was a grat aide in helping to get it back. Also it is great to work your abs out on!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:55 am 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

devadiva wrote:
I have used one and would like to say in the aspect of weight lifting no they don't have a place but as far as balance and agility they are a great aid this last year I had an issue wheere I totally lost all of my balance on one side and had to re train it and the bosu ball was a grat aide in helping to get it back. Also it is great to work your abs out on!!!

Devadiva,

Balance devices are good for rehab work. However, they don't do much of anything for your agility.

Kenny Croxdale

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:26 am 

quadfrog wrote:
Swiss Balls do have one virtue: When females use them for crunches and dumbbell work, it can be especially inspiring to a guy resting between his sets in the free-weight area. Unstable surfaces = Ass-a-nine!
Swiss balls are not BOSU balls.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:31 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yea, a Swiss ball may have a place in rehab, but a BOSU ball has a place in wasting time, and also in causing an accident for which you may need a Swiss ball to help with your recovery.