ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Exercise bike at desk?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:48 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Does anyone have any experience with using an exercise bike while working at a desk?

I work from home so I can set up desk however I want. Im a website designer so I spend all my working day at the computer.

Has anyone tired this out? From googling it seems more people are using treadmills than bikes.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:03 pm 

Exercise should be intermittent and vary in intensity. There is absolutely no value in this type of activity. You're not doing justice to your exercise or your job. If you need to move around while working change jobs to one where you get out more. If you want to do this as a means to lose weight, get your diet in order first. A better idea is to keep a kettlebell near your desk and once an hour, get up and do a few snatches and then go back to work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:56 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I also lift weights a few times a week and do cardio sessions.

I dont want to be ungrateful for your advice but im sure your wrong when you say their is no value to low intensity but prolonged exercise. Humans are designed to be active during the day and I hope this could be a good modern life substitution for this.

Im not looking to get super fit from this but im sure their would be health benefits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:38 pm 

It may be better than doing nothing but I doubt it's as good a a few minutes of more vigorous activity at intervals during the day. I would think it would be hard to concentrate on your work if you were on a bike or treadmill. Try it and let us know how it works out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:50 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I agree with Stu.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:24 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I'm surprised at the negativity expressed here. I find http://www.marksdailyapple.com/health-b ... -exercise/ much more compelling, and if I had a treadmill desk at work I'd certainly use it.

Biking while working seems much much more difficult - just watching TV while biking is hard enough to keep up a steady pace.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:23 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

frogbyte wrote:
I'm surprised at the negativity expressed here. I find http://www.marksdailyapple.com/health-b ... -exercise/ much more compelling, and if I had a treadmill desk at work I'd certainly use it.

Biking while working seems much much more difficult - just watching TV while biking is hard enough to keep up a steady pace.

It just seems like a standing desk would be better, cost less, use less resources (electricity, etc.), take less space, and more evenly distribute the workload. I'd rather have a standing desk than try to type and walk on a treadmill or bike, and you'll certainly burn energy and move around a lot if you stand all day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:50 pm 

Frogbyte, I wasn't trying to be negative, just that there are better alternatives. Like Pete suggested, a standing desk is a good idea. They even make them so they go up and down so you have a choice. I like the idea of going out for a walk part way through the day, like in the article you mentioned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:31 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Well, actually typing would probably be easy either way, but subtle mouse gestures might be tricky while walking on a treadmill. The standing desk is even endorsed by Rumsfeld so how can you go wrong?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:41 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Just set the thermastat to really cold, so you burn more calories just to stay warm lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:40 am 

I think the OP is seriously on to something here.

You could some how hook up the bike to your computer and use the bike to power the computer??? You'll be doing your bit for the planet and getting some extra exercise done.

Offices every where could start doing this. It could be the answer to obesity and global warming.

KPj

p.s on a more serious note, why don't you get some captain of crush grippers and mess around with those while you work?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:32 pm 

http://www.windstreampower.com/

It is out there KPj.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:28 pm 

I heard about a guy who hooked a small 12-volt TV (designed for RVs) to a small generator that was driven by a stationary bike, and it was the only TV his kids had access to.